Project: Parkland Airport - West of Edmonton

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RobertG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Project: Parkland Airport - West of Edmonton

Post by RobertG »

Hello everyone,

We would like to invite you all to visit the project website for our proposed Parkland Airport:

http://www.parklandairport.com

Our group has done a lot of work in the preparations and we've kept it confidential until now. We have a preliminary agreement on the land we selected to build this airport and are now working on the zoning and other approvals which depend on Parkland County and the Edmonton Capital Region Board.

Please check our status page for updates.

We're looking for support from aviators and anyone interested and supportive of general aviation and this project. We intend to get through the approval stages this year and be ready when Edmonton City Centre Airport closes - and we hope Edmonton will allow the remaining ECCA businesses to relocate to Parkland Airport before the final closure occurs.

Please let us know what you think - in this forum and via email.

And if you can support the cause at this stage by contacting any elected officials in your community that would be great.

All the best and happy flying!

Robert Gilgen and Aaron Soos
Parkland Airport Development Corporation
Alberta, Canada
---------- ADS -----------

Skully
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Project: Parkland Airport - West of Edmonton

Post by Skully »

This is very interesting and exciting!

I will pass this along to others I know.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Will there be a shuttle to city center?

Tailwind W10
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tailwind W10 »

Congrats and kudos on the project announcement this morning, I wish you the best and I hope I can support it in my own meagre way.

I have a couple of questions:

Are you at liberty to list your investment group yet? Just curiousity on my part.

Perhaps it wouldn't fit in the context of Parkland Airport, but have you given any thought to including a residential airpark in the plan?

Best regards
Gerry

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

I have 2 questions for the folks who are heading this excellent initiative

1) Will there be an IRONCLAD non-reversible agreement that this airport remain in operation for 100 years? ( not shut down like city center when the inevitable expansion occurs)
2) Will the existing tenants at city center be bought out/ compensated appropriately for lost income and land /construction /relocation costs ?

The residential air-park is a gooood idea! I believe the whole concept of a user friendly airport hinges around multi-use initiatives. Don't discount a portion of the property being aviation AND non-aviation related industrial ( non-conflicting) KEEP the rates down and keep it diversified and it shall be a great success!

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

This is really a cheering experience.

We are a lot more use to reading about the closure of airports in Canada and the perceived nuisance than the opening of a brand new airport. I am of the mindset that we need more of that.

The differences in attitude that I have noticed outside of Canada is that airports are valued as important transport links (not unlike putting in a subway or new highway) an important economic catalyst and a job creator for the local area. When you look at an aeronautical chart on both sides of the Canada/US border, you see a marked contrast with far fewer airports on the Canadian side.

I look forward to reading more about the development of this new airport and hope that it becomes an example for other similar developments throughout the country.

fuelguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fuelguy »

Wow. It sure would be interesting to see an economic model on how this proposed airport will work!
25 million. Hmmm. Sell jet fuel for 18.00 a litre? Landing fee of $2500.00 ?
Who is going to pay for all this? Lawsuits from the City Centre Airport closure?
Lets hope it doesn't get struck by a meteor.

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

azimuthaviation wrote:My hope is a private registered airport on Enoch with one runway 6000 feet with ILS and GPS approach. Presell ownership shares to fund construction and finance the operation with landing fees and hangar rental. Contract Navcanada to run an fss and the navaids. As soon as someone organises it ill be the first to invest.
As you can see Ive been waiting for exactly this thing to come along! Only difference is youre 2 miles away from Enoch and the runway is 1000 feet shorter. But unlike certain other members of AvCanada when I say I'll put my money where my mouth is, I will. Needless to say Im all onboard for this!

KnownIce
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by KnownIce »

What role do you think this airport will provide for private owners of recreational aircraft, who are currently forced to hangar way out in Villeneuve or Cooking Lake? Will there be competitive hangar space for these aircraft or is that not the intent of this facility? Reading the website the focus certainly seems to be on commercial operators.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

I disagree, what I was getting from the site was an inclusive airport servicing small and medium sized potential clientel. Of course I can't see to open the Questions (it's my computer, not the site). I do remember the interest in having a couple of FTU's located on the field.

I would have liked to see the runway 1000 feet longer as well. The aircraft I fly would not be able to use that length a strip in poorer weather conditions. Oh well, the hope is there for a second 8000' runway should all things proceed well.

I would definitely be on board for this :)

linus9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by linus9 »

Im very excited for this project. Any new airport sounds like a great idea to me, especially in Canada. However I just can't get over how ironic it is, that we must build essentially the same airport as CYXD but in a worse location. Damn Government!

I'm very curious to see the plans for the 8000ft runway.

Switchfoot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Switchfoot »

I'm all for supporting general and commercial aviation in Edmonton outside of what's happening in YEG. Having flown out of CYXD for years as a MEDEVAC pilot and working for a charter operator, wouldn't the money be better spent on improving existing airports in the area such as Villeneuve, etc. to support the air ambulance/charter/flight training/AB gov/RCMP etc. rather than starting an entirely new project? Somebody needs to kick Mandel in the shins.

I would like to see and support CYXD staying open, but unfortunately it looks as though this won't be the case.

Having said that, starting a new project, while good, doesn't necessarily seem to be the best option either. Just my 2 cents.

Switchfoot.

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

RobertG wrote:Hello everyone,

We would like to invite you all to visit the project website for our proposed Parkland Airport:

http://www.parklandairport.com

Our group has done a lot of work in the preparations and we've kept it confidential until now. We have a preliminary agreement on the land we selected to build this airport and are now working on the zoning and other approvals which depend on Parkland County and the Edmonton Capital Region Board.

Please check our status page for updates.

We're looking for support from aviators and anyone interested and supportive of general aviation and this project. We intend to get through the approval stages this year and be ready when Edmonton City Centre Airport closes - and we hope Edmonton will allow the remaining ECCA businesses to relocate to Parkland Airport before the final closure occurs.

Please let us know what you think - in this forum and via email.

And if you can support the cause at this stage by contacting any elected officials in your community that would be great.

All the best and happy flying!

Alberta, Canada
now working on the zoning and other approvals which depend on Parkland County and the Edmonton Capital Region Board

And therein lies the rub.
While I have no doubt that Parkland County will be on board, the ECRB will veto this. Just as they did with the proposed improvements to the Villeneuve infrastructure, and recently the Acheson Industrial Park expansion. Guess who has the clout there?

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

Built a big trench for float planes next to the runway. That would bring in lots of customers, no?

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tom H »

x-wind wrote:Built a big trench for float planes next to the runway. That would bring in lots of customers, no?
Used to work well at St. Albert and the fill could be used to build up and level the runway!

Seriously it did work well at St. Albert and with the dropping water levels at Cooking Lake it would be a solid option IMO.

From a business perspective this plan could be derailed if Edmonton Airports actually started to develop Villeneuve seriously.

But that would mean water and sewer and from this link....
http://www.stalbertchamber.com/files/1160.pdf there appears to be no plans for it at this time.
Without it serious development is just not possible.

After 20years and all the vitriolic debate around YXD this would be in place now along with other necessary infrastructure.

Go for it Parkland Airport...there is a market by all appearances, at least for now...many businesses will have had to make decisions if the time line is too long IMO.

In my highly biased personal opinion
Tom H

Navajo Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Navajo Flyer »

Hey what about Namao? Short drive down 97 Street to the city centre. Both the City Centre Airport and the International could of been relocated there.....but wait, Edmonton Int'l would loose the central Alberta passengers to Calgary.

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

Namao is absolutely out of the equation. There is intensive helo ops at the base. There is also a large lweapons range on the eastern perimeter used day and night.

Cheers...Chris

Cod Father
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cod Father »

How ironic! Edmonton Airports has a tender on the market for a runway extension and ILS installation at ZVL. You can find it on www.merx.com. It has to be done for this year. And the Government of Alberta is paying for it.

But still no water and sewer for ZVL. Alas, Edmonton Airports has lost all moral authority to direct general aviation and has no business opposing this.

RobertG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RobertG »

Good day everyone, we're back on this forum - after intense media reaction in Edmonton, more great meetings and offers of support and help. We keep responding to inquiries and are updating our website with the latest news and progress.

Answers to the questions we've seen here:

- A shuttle service is being considered to Spruce Grove, Stony Plain, the River Cree resort and Edmonton

- No plans for a residential airpark as the area is mostly industrial/commercial

- We intend to fully own the land, with long-term leases and private operation of the airport

- Expropriated businesses at Edmonton City Centre Airport are expected to receive compensation

- We're not at liberty to list our investment group yet, but it is broad

- Both commercial and recreational aircraft will be welcome

- A trench for floatplanes could be interesting but is not being considered

- Federal jurisdiction will help with the approvals and zoning:
http://www.eaa.org/bitsandpieces/articl ... dromes.asp

Thank you all for the feedback and comments, please keep them coming!

Alberta, Canada

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tom H »

Cod Father wrote:How ironic! Edmonton Airports has a tender on the market for a runway extension and ILS installation at ZVL. You can find it on http://www.merx.com. It has to be done for this year. And the Government of Alberta is paying for it.

But still no water and sewer for ZVL. Alas, Edmonton Airports has lost all moral authority to direct general aviation and has no business opposing this.
Cod Father

Your post begs the question be asked....

How is is there is enough business in the region for private investors to take a run at creating an all new airport with private lands and private money, but Edmonton Airports who got Vill for a token cost and can afford a billion dollar expansion at YEG needs money from healthcare to extend the runway at Villeneuve?

Things that make ya go hmmmmmmmmmm

Return to “General Comments”