PRISON ESCAPE IN A R44

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: PRISON ESCAPE IN A R44

Post by co-joe »

Dash-Ate wrote:...
As a precaution let's place all jailed Quebec gang members in solitary confinement 24/7 for while. :smt093 Collective punishment - no pun. Take away their exercise yard rights.

Better yet let's just put all Quebec'ers in jail. :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

The escape was from a Quebec Jail - jails don't have guns - so they don't have any way to shoot at a helicopter.

Prisons have guns, America's favourite ARF-15's - that helicopter would have got shot up if it landed near a Quebec Prison.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Colonel Sanders wrote:How did they smuggle the R44 into the prison?
Piece by piece in the same way they smuggle in drugs. :shock: :bigscared:

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

How did they smuggle the R44 into the prison?
The guards performing the cavity searches will undergo more training.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

bizjets101 wrote:The escape was from a Quebec Jail - jails don't have guns - so they don't have any way to shoot at a helicopter.

Prisons have guns, America's favourite ARF-15's - that helicopter would have got shot up if it landed near a Quebec Prison.
Ironic, isn't it? The bad guys had guns, the good guys didn't and the pilot lives. Had the good guys had guns, the pilot probably dies.

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

MrWings wrote:
bizjets101 wrote:The escape was from a Quebec Jail - jails don't have guns - so they don't have any way to shoot at a helicopter.

Ironic, isn't it? The bad guys had guns, the good guys didn't and the pilot lives. Had the good guys had guns, the pilot probably dies.
If had the pilot's shoes on, it makes you wonder who are the good and bad guys, doesn't it? :shock:

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

They had a death wish for sure, just getting into that 44.

I don't think the pilot is as innocent as claimed, his skills would go out the window under duress and would most likely not be able to control the a/c well enough to extract the cons that effeciently.

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

Heliian wrote:They had a death wish for sure, just getting into that 44.

I don't think the pilot is as innocent as claimed, his skills would go out the window under duress and would most likely not be able to control the a/c well enough to extract the cons that effeciently.

Do you know the pilot?

I wouldn't even answer like that unless i knew him. Some people handle stress better. Obviously better than you.

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

Heliian wrote:They had a death wish for sure, just getting into that 44.

That's absolute rubbish.

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Perps should be charged with Hijacking and Terrorism and given full sentences. Which in Kanada will be like 10 years :roll:

benoit.baril
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by benoit.baril »

I don't think the pilot is as innocent as claimed,
I'd like to agree... but it may have something to do with the number of thriller movies I watched lately. :rolleyes:

r22captain
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by r22captain »

Heliian wrote:.

That is the most unintelligent thing I've ever seen you post.

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.3492898

VIDEO
Video of helicopter escape from St-Jérôme jail made public
Brazen escape of 2 inmates from Saint-Jérôme, Que., detention centre in 2013 caught on video
CBC News Posted: Mar 15, 2016 7:47 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 15, 2016 7:47 PM ET

A video showing a helicopter escape of two inmates in 2013 from a detention centre in St-Jérôme, Que., was unveiled today during the trial of Hells Angels sympathizer Benjamin Hudon-Barbeau.

Hudon-Barbeau, 38, is accused of participating in a series of unrelated crimes in the province's Laurentians region in the fall of 2012 relating to a drug turf war. He pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree murder and three counts of attempted murder.

Hudon-Barbeau made headlines in March 2013 after he and Danny Provençal escaped from a Saint-Jérôme detention centre after two accomplices hijacked a helicopter and forced its pilot to fly to the jail.

Hudon-Barbeau and Provençal climbed up a rope into the waiting chopper.

The video shows the men climbing up the rope to get onto the roof, where a helicopter was waiting. Two accomplices, who were armed, were aboard the aircraft.

In the video, Hudon-Barbeau and Provençal appear to have difficulty climbing onto the roof. They both cling to the rope, which is attached to the helicopter. As the chopper takes off, it carries Hudon-Barbeau and Provençal with it.

A few hours later, police nabbed the two inmates.

Hudon-Barbeau was serving time at the provincial jail for gun possession at the time of his escape.

'It's only in the movies that you can shoot down a helicopter with a handgun.'
– Mathieu Lavoie, SASPQC union president
The union president of Peace Officers in Correctional Services of Quebec (SASPQC), Mathieu Lavoie, told Radio-Canada that guards were unable to interfere during the helicopter escape.

"We have to evaluate who's on board the helicopter — they were accomplices. Were they armed? We cannot intervene with inmates climbing a rope," he said. "It's only in the movies that you can shoot down a helicopter with a handgun."

Lavoie said that since the incident in March 2013, nothing has changed and no new security measures have been put in place.

In order to prevent a similar incident, the union is calling for heightened searches, specifically those that would detect cellphones.

Hudon-Barbeau and Provençal co-ordinated their escape from the St-Jérôme facility using a mobile device.

A similar incident happened in November 2014, when three inmates also escaped via helicopter from a detention centre near Quebec City.

With files from Radio-Canada reporter Karine Bastien

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

How did no one notice a running helicopter on the roof for like 5 minutes? Or how did no one notice two men thrashing around trying to climb up a rope? I thought the escape plan was better executed than that...

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

jschnurr wrote:How did no one notice a running helicopter on the roof for like 5 minutes? Or how did no one notice two men thrashing around trying to climb up a rope? I thought the escape plan was better executed than that...
You have to ask these questions?

How were they so lucky to hijack a helicopter with a hook, AND, a rope?

How were they so lucky to get a pilot with long line training?

Why bother with a rope? Nobody in a jail, even with guns, is going to shoot at a helicopter in which at least an innocent pilot will be killed, to stop a couple of nuisances who'll be caught in the next week anyway? In fact, why not just drop them a bag of guns and taxi money. If you're the only one in a jail without guns, you're due for early release.

Your man at the heli company in Hope was hijacked once and dropped these two geniuses off on an island in Harrison Lake.

As for killing the pilot, really? You're in jail for a few months, in one case for associating with a criminal, and suddenly you decide you want to have a murder charge to go with being a nuisance?

Edit: Sorry, I thought this happened today and then after posting, saw Golden Hawk's story.

A Hell's Angel's "sympathizer"? Like, he felt sorry for them?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Ok, I've seen the video. Darwinism isn't a perfect theory.

I'm not an expert helicopter pilot by any means, but isn't that a bit of a risky proposition having 500 lbs. of escapee dangling so far outboard of the mast?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Moesif
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Moesif »

That was just too comedic to watch :lol: They should have air lifted the guy on top of the roof and then enter the copter safely

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

i think they should have done more chin-ups while they were in jail.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I must secretly admit I have a certain level of respect for those prisoners though. They were obviously not prepared, yet had no issue hanging on to a rope under a frigging helicopter during a jail break.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

cncpc wrote:Ok, I've seen the video. Darwinism isn't a perfect theory.

I'm not an expert helicopter pilot by any means, but isn't that a bit of a risky proposition having 500 lbs. of escapee dangling so far outboard of the mast?
Not really.
A quick search found the (sling)load limit for a Robby 44 is 800 lbs.

It starts to get dangerous when you let the load oscillate, if left uncorrected.

You can tell these dudes hit the poutine more than the gym. Quite comical.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.

Return to “General Comments”