Samoa Air introduces ‘pay-as-you-weigh’ fare policy

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Samoa Air introduces ‘pay-as-you-weigh’ fare policy

Post by Expat »

Meatservo wrote:
Changes in Latitudes wrote:Somehow I have to think that the first swig from the bottle must have tasted so much sweeter than the last few drops we're currently trying to lick out this empty industry.
Every now and then someone says something that describes the way I feel so succinctly that it bears repeating.

What I would really like is if we could fast-forward to the inevitable time where we will be anesthetizing passengers and stacking them in racks for long journeys. I think at least for me, air travel would be much more pleasant this way. I mean as a passenger. I hate flying as a passenger. I was under a general anaesthetic once, and it was lovely. I just had a dry throat and was very thirsty when I woke up, which is just the same as an aeroplane ride, come to think of it, without the hours and hours of discomfort and pissed-offedness preceding it.
Actually, the way it is going with reduced pleasure in flying, and checking in also, the best solution would be for the airline to pick you up at home, like a FedEx parcel. They would sedate you at home, weigh you, ferry you wherever you are going, based on weight, You would simply wake up in your booked hotel room, fresh for dinner and drinks. I would just love that! :smt040
---------- ADS -----------

JDW
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JDW »

As long as we're all floating numbers, in the national post "Air Canada estimates that for each kilogram it removes from one of its Boeing 763 aircraft, it will save 3,925 kilograms of fuel every year."
http://business.financialpost.com/2013/ ... -by-pound/

seems pretty substantial to me

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Expat wrote:
Meatservo wrote:
What I would really like is if we could fast-forward to the inevitable time where we will be anesthetizing passengers and stacking them in racks for long journeys. I think at least for me, air travel would be much more pleasant this way. I mean as a passenger. I hate flying as a passenger. I was under a general anaesthetic once, and it was lovely. I just had a dry throat and was very thirsty when I woke up, which is just the same as an aeroplane ride, come to think of it, without the hours and hours of discomfort and pissed-offedness preceding it.
Actually, the way it is going with reduced pleasure in flying, and checking in also, the best solution would be for the airline to pick you up at home, like a FedEx parcel. They would sedate you at home, weigh you, ferry you wherever you are going, based on weight, You would simply wake up in your booked hotel room, fresh for dinner and drinks. I would just love that! :smt040
I think you're getting close here. Night service sounds even better. Wake up in the parking lot of your designated breakfast destination with a Large orange juice. Ready to start the day on local time.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

dont set an average weight, because well.. no one is average anymore.. we are all special and have been told that for the last two decades.

Set it by the pound with a minimum charge. Min charge of $XXX and then X or Y a pound all the way up! The min is not based on any weights or other possible means of discriminating but allows the company to have a basis. You pay the base/min when you book and the remainder when you're weighed at check in. Boom! done!

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

"Air Canada estimates that for each kilogram it removes from one of its Boeing 763 aircraft, it will save 3,925 kilograms of fuel every year."

Yeah, right. Unless they started a regular service to venus Ive never heard about Im having a hard time believing those numbers

2.5milefinal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 2.5milefinal »

I had a very Similar experience as kevenv did. YVR to YYZ. :evil:
I think its a good idea and hope some day that all airlines have the guts to do the same.

...incoming

Return to “General Comments”