did anyone see "TWA Flight 800"17th anniversary documentary?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

did anyone see "TWA Flight 800"17th anniversary documentary?

Post by righthandman »

This documentary is available on a certain website that begins with.... "thepiratebay...". Enter the search term "TWA Flight 800" and look for yourselves. If you do download it...HINT...View it with VLC software, as I tried viewing it with another media player and it looked like the file was corrupt. VLC plays it properly.

I had a look at this documentary and all I can say is that the official explanation is highly suspect.

just one of many commentaries on this documentary:

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/t ... 6qVXdDeShK
---------- ADS -----------

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: did anyone see "TWA Flight 800"17th anniversary document

Post by bmc »

Google "Phil Bobet". He's a friend of mine. Read about his experience out of NYC one night in the left seat of a Swissair B747.

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

I remember watching the news that night, and seeing a witness say he had seen a rocket colliding with the plane. It would be interesting to know who all the passengers were. :shock:

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

bmc wrote:Google "Phil Bobet". He's a friend of mine. Read about his experience out of NYC one night in the left seat of a Swissair B747.
Do you know or can you find out if by any chance he/they submitted the azimuth particulars (report-form for bright object sighting) ?

Learning2Fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Learning2Fly »

It's a great documentary. People in power that need to protect their interests, and billions in revenues have ways of making evidence disappear, or work in their favor.

Other crash investigations come to mind as well. I don't recall the flight# at the moment, but the aircraft fell out of the sky from FL370(?), and was alleged to have flown into a storm cloud.

The pilots kept a nose up attitude, (power?) despite their altimeters rolling off at thousands of feet per minute decent rate.

I made some comments, and asked sensible questions in the, "Accident" sub-forum
off this website, but nobody replied.

Based on my research, and the evidence shown, TWA800 was a cover-up.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Learning2Fly wrote:I made some comments, and asked sensible questions in the, "Accident" sub-forum
off this website, but nobody replied.
You mean where the pilots hadn't received any stall recovery training yet (flight 447 wiki quote) ...

Typical, ... it sounds so unbelievable nobody wants to comment on it until someone else does, so nobody did.

"Aug 9th" is the time of year when the earth comes near a place in space where lots of meteorites get drawn into the earth's atmosphere. Have heard a number, something like every 15 minutes somewhere in the world one reaches the surface before having burned up, usually penetrating three feet or so on land. Ours landed on hard halimand clay baked in the summer heat (the pick-axe can't penetrate), therefore only went in a few inches.

Yes, I've filled out a meteorite azimuth card once, but no response. It also came overhead one Aug 14th, but only saw it once it came streaking down through partial overcast late at night; for years wondered about it until my 4-furrow plough got it with with the last furrow, fourteen years later. Stopped the tractor dead with front wheels six feet off the ground; broke the landside as it wedged underneath and damaged some gears in the transmission. No frost to speak of in those years and so figure it was still welded into it's same socket the whole time ... to damage my equipment that bad.

It landed a mile east from where was discing ground for preparation to seed a wheatcrop two months before we first found the crater (was discing west) just by chance on my Grandfather's property .. seven or eight miles NNW of Niagara Falls USA/CANADA ... in one centre aisle between hilled-up old pear tree rows that my brother and I were in the process of cutting down. We found the interesting campfire-like spot in walking past in the tall grass (was scorched&burned but strangely not trampled), unfortunately were too busy to take more interest to investigate it before the hired bulldozer/land-leveller covered it over with 12-16" of soil the next day thus losing track of the spot. Fourteen and a half years later, which was the following spring after striking it with the plough while ploughing extra deep for winter-fallow, the cultivator brought it up the rest of the way in large black pieces that fit together like a pie and I took the 68lbs in to the Brock University Geology department.

At that time, only 13 meteorites had been recorded as "seen and found" in Canada. Was a 'stony iron' type like 97% of them are; mine made entry from the west likely around 2-3tons and 25,000 mph somewhere over the Pacific near Washington State. Heard it approx 25 seconds prior to seeing it, as the low frequency noise ahead of a hurtling object that size makes a rushing sound in your ear (sounds like a high pitch) and surprisingly audible above the high decibles of an old diesel-engined cabless tractor with noisy exhaust and at full power. Very scary experience as it happens; an interesting trail when seen against the night sky from close up. The trail of burning material visible when it passes nearby in darkness is substantial, quite a long trail, likely not so in daylight ... but who knows how it looks close-up then ?.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

So, if a meteor strikes an aircraft in flight off the coast of New York, bringing it down in the Atlantic, would any potential remaining pieces of the meteor still be referred to as meteorite, or should there be a different term for a meteor that entered, but didn't burn up in the atmosphere, yet was interupted before actually striking the surface of the earth?

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

If it was indeed a meteorite, would there be any need for a cover-up? :shock:

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Is there a precedence for such an event in aviation ?

If not, it might explain why no-one wants to "go there". The chance you're going to tangle with one is so unlikely, so why scare the flying public. Mine crossed the entire continental USA from way out over the Pacific Ocean in less than 8 minutes.

In turning to look back eastward over my left shoulder after wondering where the noise was coming from, at first thinking 'blown rad hose and overheating', I could identify the streak location/angle for only 3-4 seconds. It fell from more than a 60 degree angle toward / in-front-of a backdrop of tall pine trees growing at the east side of Line-3 Dam/reservoir located south/southwest of Virgil (a town centered 2 miles NE of my position). The impact was followed by a vague orange light for just a brief second from underneath the sparse pear-orchard canopy (flash of the incinerated tall grass etc), but no impact-noise heard above the noise of the tractor engine from that distance. I'd first thought it splashed into the reservoir, as we'd actually learned about meteors/meteorites in geography class the previous year ... that they existed as more than a phenomenon.

Then nothing. No reference forthcoming in our local paper or radio as no-one else saw it then (or came forward) despite the noise it made, except one nearby farmer 20 years later recalled seeing/hearing out late at night on a patio/deck a half mile east of the crater (had just moved there that summer).

Finding it, albeit 14 years later (just 40 ft north of the neighbouring farm's propertyline and only 200ft west of the the reservoir) changed things for me greatly; it was a relief to have the verification, but a lot of years (gradual research) until it made more sense. Meteorites didn't interest me although they were fascinating to consider, perhaps because it's so unlikely I'd ever see one let alone find one so large; all my attention to the subject was given with reluctance until increasingly more evidence came along so there was no escaping talking about it as a 'matter of fact'.

GYVair .... I believe it's called a BOLIDE when they are that large after entry, but in the lower atmosphere they break apart (usually two or three pieces) that go in different directions. Near the time of my visual experience there was one reported with similar trajectory across our area, where one piece was seen arriving somewhere in northern New York State and another portion went through the roof of a house in Vermont and impacted down in the basement. Nothing too complicated, .. bizarre as it may sound.

BibleMonkey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by BibleMonkey »

I was molested by Aliens one time.

They took me aboard their ship.

I don't talk about it much........not for the reason you think, though...

It's 'Cause I liked it!

:lol:

And then my wife got mad when I was trying to attract them back with a sardine trail,...spotlights , and such.....
faahd996IDY_Randy_Quaid_002.jpg
faahd996IDY_Randy_Quaid_002.jpg (23 KiB) Viewed 1881 times

=======================================

I thought that there was another thread ...here I think...that subsumed links debunking the missile theory...eyewitnesses didn't really see a missile, they saw an explicable light, ...something like that.........
------
http://www.seattlepi.com/business/artic ... 279529.php

"Jet fuel-tank protection ordered
U.S. cites 1996 explosion of 747

ASHBURN, Va. -- A device to prevent airplane fuel tanks from exploding must be installed on certain passenger jets and cargo planes, federal officials said Wednesday, 12 years after such an explosion destroyed TWA Flight 800, killing all 230 people aboard.

The new safety requirement, announced by Transportation Secretary Mary Peters, applies to new passenger and cargo planes that have center fuel tanks like TWA 800, a Boeing 747, which exploded over the Atlantic Ocean off Long Island on July 17, 1996, after takeoff from New York's Kennedy Airport.

The rule also requires airlines over the next nine years to retrofit 2,730 existing Airbus and Boeing passenger planes built since 1991. The retrofit schedule is based on the normal aircraft maintenance schedule.

Manufacturers have two years in which to comply with the rule, although Boeing is already making some new planes with the changes.

"We believe this will save lives," said National Transportation Safety Board Chairman Mark Rosenker, who joined Peters at a news conference at the safety board's training facility here, where TWA Flight 800's fuselage has been partially reconstructed from pieces retrieved from the ocean. "This is the big one for us as it relates to important solutions for fuel tank safety."

The change brings to a close a long and troubled chapter in federal aviation safety. The NTSB identified the cause of the explosion -- the ignition of oxygen in a partially empty fuel tank that had been sitting for hours in the sun before takeoff -- not long after the accident. But the FBI initially thought the explosion was the result of a bomb, and it was unclear for a time ...................... "

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

The FBI thought it was and the NTSB confirmed that it was like a bomb; the fuel tank exploded ... just like a bomb does. The findings presented were pretty solid.

Remember hearing the reason the stray missle theory didn't fly was that there wasn't any evidence found in the wreckage to prove it was possible. A direct hit becomes obvious at some point in a reconstruction like we've been shown here, ... but it looks like (still) there was no evidence to prove it.

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Was Boeing able to re-create the scenario at a test bench before this AD?

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

A hit by a Stinger or other MANPAD would only take out an engine and not cause the entire jet to explode. If it was something bigger than a MANPAD it would have still caused a lot of damage. Radar guided SAMs have proximity fuzes so the explosion is near enough to cause significant damage but seldom impact the target. An internal explosion brought TWA 800 down.

Learning2Fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Learning2Fly »

Sorry, back to TWA800

Last edited by Learning2Fly on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Learning2Fly wrote:Can anyone confirm the seating to be consistent with an Airbus A330?
Can't speak to the A330 seating arrangement question, but I do think the sky/horizon looks maybe a little bright for after 11:00PM local, 3 degrees north of the equator in heavy thunderstorm conditions..

Learning2Fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Learning2Fly »

Someone has identified the photos from the TV show series Lost. But why the news lady, and caption, "Photos of Tragedy"?

Maybe they were covering the first episode of Lost, or someone pulled a, "Sum Ting Wong" prank on this news station too?

ETA:
Turns out the language spoken is Spanish from the video.

The caption, "captadas por un pasajero" translates to, "captured by a passenger" in English via Google.
If it's not obvious enough, "Las fotos de la tragedia" means, "photos of the tragedy".

It seems like somebody Punk'd that news station too. What's with the air accidents, and news blunders (Asiana 214)?

I'll bring the video into work today; we have many Spanish speaking pilots around.

P.S. I've removed the pictures from my earlier post to preserve the integrity of the TWA800 discussion. This post will be edited
out by tomorrow as well.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Dash-Ate wrote:Was Boeing able to re-create the scenario at a test bench before this AD?
You'd think there would be some supporting evidence of the test.

At the time I recall thinking about our own fuel tank explosion on the farm. The old 624 65hp International diesel pulling the 6ft bush-hog disc for cultivating the vineyards had its fuel-tank explode one afternoon; the fuel supply was near empty while the engine area was unusually hot on that sweltering day. The driver sits right behind it and described the fireball exiting around the cap, which stayed on, and the stretched remains of the diesel-tank in evidence, surprisingly still useable afterwards although a lot larger; remember wondering if there was more benzine content in the diesel. Also thought, did the faulty/shorting fuel gauge help ignite it ... once exposed to just fumes ?

Return to “General Comments”