Transferring Canadaian CPL and float time to Dubai

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jmd51
Rank 0
Rank 0

Transferring Canadaian CPL and float time to Dubai

Post by jmd51 »

Hi there,
I am fairly new to the forum and just had a question about transferring a CPL in Canada to the United Arab Emirates. I would like to fly floats as a career, possibly abroad. I would like to build time here in Canada (BC) and then eventually move somewhere else in the world just for the experience. I discovered Seawings in Dubai online and am wondering what the process would be to convert to a licence in the Emirates. Would the Canadian CPL and float time be recognized over there? It looks like an amazing place to live. If anyone knows the process and what not please let me know.
---------- ADS -----------

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Transferring Canadaian CPL and float time to Dubai

Post by Panama Jack »

As a general rule, flight time is flight time regardless in the registration marks of the aircraft that it is acquired in and, with very few exceptions, the part of the World it is acquired in.

From listening to the radio, the company you are talking about seems to be exclusively staffed by expat pilots of North American origin. They would have likely cut their teeth and gotten their experience in Canada and/or the USA.

Don't worry about the process for licence conversion. No company would expect you to have a valid local licence when applying. If selected, they will take you through the conversion process, most likely on company time and at company cost. I suspect that they are looking for very experienced people.

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

When you get to Dubai go and see Fritzi at Skydive Dubai, he'll give you all the information you need.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

If you get hired they will issue you a UAE license based on your ICAO/Canada license that you hold. You will have to write an UAE air law exam to ensure knowledge of local differences.

DareDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DareDevil »

Ive worked for Seawings and they will have your UAE license issued to you through their government. Their requirements are at least 3000hrs total with 1000hrs PIC on floats...they also look at your C208 experience and where you've worked. After all, ripping a fully loaded stock 208 off the creek at 50degrees isn't for the weak hearted. Keep moving your career forward up north, and learn the job....if ya have any questions feel free to PM me. Good luck!

twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

DareDevil wrote:Ive worked for Seawings and they will have your UAE license issued to you through their government. Their requirements are at least 3000hrs total with 1000hrs PIC on floats...they also look at your C208 experience and where you've worked. After all, ripping a fully loaded stock 208 off the creek at 50degrees isn't for the weak hearted. Keep moving your career forward up north, and learn the job....if ya have any questions feel free to PM me. Good luck!
You actually got it out of the water at 50C??? Wow, I would have guessed you would have had a fast boat at that time...

DareDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DareDevil »

the van is just a fast boat with wings at all temperatures! i miss the T.O.

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

This thread brought back a few memories. I was hired by Air Georgian to go to Dubai in 1995 to fly C208 C-GCGA. The company was called Citylink and I was the first pilot to go there. Quite a culture shock from Northern Ont to that world. Did my ride on Jan 10-96 with Phil Smith DGCA and he told me that this was the first Seaplane lic ever issued on the Arabian Peninsula. I thought the whole licencing system had changed since then.

Return to “General Comments”