ATPL Exams

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

HORUNNER
Rank 3
Rank 3

ATPL Exams

Post by HORUNNER »

Heya
Am I wrong, but wasnt there a thread a bunch of years ago with "sample questions" for the atpl's.
I am studying for the tests again and plan to write soon, I have the aerocourse books and as good as they are wanted another last min prep'er.
I have searched back as far as 2004,
Any help would be awesome!
---------- ADS -----------

3-Green
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: ATPL Exams

Post by 3-Green »

Do you happen to have the Aerocourse workbook? I did pretty much all of the questions in there, when I wrote the exams it looked like TC just took a bunch of questions out of there. So I recognized pretty much every question. Not to mention it doesn't hurt to actually study for a good review.

HORUNNER
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by HORUNNER »

I do have both the current aerocourse books, I'm just a worrywart and over prep'er.
I was to take the last course but ended up having to work that weekend, no time to wait for the next one as I req my AA's for my current job.
I never feel comfortable before test day :roll:

Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

The5chord
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The5chord »

what is the current opinion on the best study guide for these exams?

Sharper Edge?
.?
Aerocourse?

aycarumba
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aycarumba »

The5chord wrote:what is the current opinion on the best study guide for these exams?

Sharper Edge?
.?
Aerocourse?
I've done mine a month ago, I used both sharper's edge and aerocourse. Some question appeared on my exam from aerocourse (word to word) but I'd say take the aerocourse. If you are cheap like me, just get the aerocourse book, you can't go wrong with it

cpt.sam
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cpt.sam »

They are both great books.
If you completely forget about remembering the answers, and learn the material from the book you will do much better.
I know everyone has different study habits, and at any rate, I wish you luck on the exams.
There are several "new" iterations of the A's in circulation now. I think I had like #14...possibly?

frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by frozen solid »

I was just about to write something unbearably sanctimonious like "typical young person, trying to memorize answers instead of becoming familiar with the actual knowledge", but then part of my brain (the part I hate) said "wait a minute. that's what YOU did, you hypocrite". SO with that in mind, I'll just tell you that the aerocourse questions are highly representative of the kinds of questions you will encounter. If you employ a combination approach like reading a sample question, then going to the source material to try and find the information before peeking at the answer, you'll be better prepared. Having a whole bunch of answers memorized is handy because you can blast through an exam and have quick answers ready in order to save time for the questions you'll have to think about. For that "thinking" part it will have been handy to be familiar with the material as well. Listen to me, I'm a hypocrite, but I also had been flying commercially for fifteen years before I wrote the exams and was fairly familiar with a lot of the material already. Nevertheless I studied fretfully for six months as well. When I wrote the exams I was almost disappointed at how easy they were.

The5chord
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The5chord »

If one was to study the source material rather than a sample test question book what books would you recommend to look at?

frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by frozen solid »

Well, a lot of it is is the Air Command weather manual, the Instrument procedures manual, the C.A.R.S. (unfortunately), particularly part 705 and 725 (I think) and also there is a book I didn't have but I saw lots of young guys reading, I can't remember what it's called. Something like "the turbine pilot's manual" or something like that. It has a lot of good stuff in it. There is a lot of high-altitude weather content in particular, like the behaviour of wind and weather around the jet streams, that you should know. Unfortunately, it's the readily available sample questions and answers that have made a bit of a joke of the whole testing process. I don't want to sound sanctimonious but if they weren't available the tests would probably be a decent indicator of a candidate's knowledge level; at the present time they are not. I'm as guilty as anyone. I tried to study and be knowledgeable, but I also spent a long time reviewing sample questions.

Ideally, the sample questions should be able to steer you in the right direction as far as seeking out the source material. I remember reading C.A.R.S a lot. "Air Regs" has always been my bête noir so I study that the most and still do worst on it. A strong "personality indicator", probably!

Return to “General Comments”