Beech 1900D Anti-skid

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

WD40
Rank 0
Rank 0

Beech 1900D Anti-skid

Post by WD40 »

Hello

Has anyone ever actually seen or worked with this option? (I can read so I know it exists)
Any problems or support issues ie (like the power steering option).

Do any of the Georgian, CMA, AC, Sunwest machines have this option? I ask because they are "well used" machines.

Thoughts/ input would be appreciated.

WD
---------- ADS -----------

turbo-prop
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Beech 1900D Anti-skid

Post by turbo-prop »

It is like pushing your feet against a concrete wall. You can't feel the brake pedals move when putting pressure against them but have worked well.

Oleo 4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oleo 4 »

I believe its the hydro-aire mark II system and very little is published if at all in any manuals! Worked well with the aircraft I flew, only one mishap trying to turn one day when the system was active and nulled the pressure applied in the right pedal. I believe the system should be automatically switched off under 15-20 kts. Took me some time using the google machine to understand the hub/stator teeth and Ac frequency used in the system.

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

It's on most of the Sunwest fleet. We shut it off while taxiing as the above mentioned problem occurs from time to time.

GA MX Trainer Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GA MX Trainer Dude »

Companies I worked for had them removed. Commercial high usage operations and just one more thing to go wrong.
The flip side of the issue is the occasional tire flat spotted from wheel lockup on patchy runways. Somewhere I have
a graph of how many times we missed flights and what that cost vs how many tires the machine ate.
- I think I did the test over a year or 14 months and the standard brake system won!! I did the same with the
nose wheel power steering kit as well. Both systems removed - new weight and balance done - and sell off the stuff to
someone who wants it. Win/win for everybody.

Mx

username here
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by username here »

Yes all of Sunwest's fleet has it. We have issues from time to time. The hubcap clips tend to spread apart and give erroneous "skid" inputs at low speed, which will cut out the braking.

There's ok information on the beech CMM's for troubleshooting advice.

Its the weak link for the 1900D in my opinion

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

The weakest link when it comes to wheels is the ridiculous (kinda rare) powered steering options on the 1900's. Maintenance nightmares.

Couple of aircraft at work have the anti-skid. It actually works pretty good. Little finicky for the above-described reasons but it aint too bad.

For those interested, the hub-cap assy's are kind of ridiculous $$$. But a call to Beech will yield ya with a drawing and a part-number for the much-much-much cheaper clips, and a rivet.

username here
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by username here »

Ya definitely get the PMA hubcaps. $700 compared to a couple grand each..... And don't forget to put the lockwasher and threadlocker on the antiskid transducer screws. They will back out and destroy those expensive hubcaps

YXDPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YXDPilot »

None of CMA or NT's birds have anti-skid

brownbear
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brownbear »

Flat spots on the tires are not from locking up with weight on. Its from trying to get too smooth of landing in a 1900. When you taxi thru snow or slush the brakes freeze. Then on a smooth landing you flat a tire. It better to thunk it down and get the wheels turning right away. Skim it on and you will be waiting for tire sooner than later.
The anti-skid on a 1900 is more cost to operate an already high cost airplane. Keeping it simpler is the key to trying to reduce the costs. Its optional, so out it goes. And if your on pavement, use the big fan style brakes (props) and also keep the cost down.

Don't be disgruntled....move on!

Return to “General Comments”