Online "virtual ride along" Flying videos; edited or not?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

What type of flying videos do you prefer?

Full Flights - unedited videos.
8%
Edited down to the good parts.
50%
If it is longer than 5 minutes, I won't generally watch.
21%
I never watch online flying videos from amateurs.
21%

Total votes: 38

Schteevie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Online "virtual ride along" Flying videos; edited or not?

Post by Schteevie »

I've been enjoying flying with multiple GoPros, shooting the view + panel and recording the intercom / ATC audio.
I started out shooting them for my own post flight debriefing purposes…

A few months ago I started publicly posting my "self analysis videos".
My format has been to edit the videos down to a ~5 minute length and include some useful thoughts / lessons while maintaining a "virtual ride along" feel.
I am happy to report that the feedback has been 100% positive!

I uploaded my first "unedited" full flight yesterday as a test, and it seems people like that format as well.
(It was an action packed flight with a lot of radio work in a control zone, and I added some voice over and onscreen text to help with context and to keep it entertaining.)

That video can be found here, and I'd like your thoughts in the poll.

http://youtu.be/d8Shw1lWgTU

thnx.
---------- ADS -----------

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Online "virtual ride along" Flying videos; edited or not

Post by Chris M »

Hehe.. Small world. I'm on the TSC forum as well (different screen name) and have seen a couple of the videos you posted there.

Unfortunately I can't see youtube stuff at work, but in general I think people prefer to have a video edited down to the important bits. One technique I've seen that saves time but still gives continuity to your clip is to fast forward the less interesting bits (cruise, climb to practise area, etc) and revert to real time when you're at a section that's more eye-catching. 8-10 minutes is about as long as I'll watch anything I come across online, unless it was something I went looking for.

Schteevie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Schteevie »

80+ thread views currently, but only 9 votes in the poll - seriously?
90% of you guys don't care to even click on the poll? Sheesh :P

Anyway - interesting that of the 9 votes 33% claim not to watch amateur flying videos at all.
I tend to agree with that in theory, but I often end up watching videos that look like they might have some good flying coverage.
but agreed most of the time I'm disappointed; it is either boring and useless, or some dolt showing off, but not giving enough info to really get anything out of it.

For my videos, I get a clear shot of the panel + the view and record the intercom audio.
I tend to edit them down with voice over (and further illustrations if needed) to show detailed analysis of something that went well or that I could improve on.
I tend to be some what self deprecating as I publicly critique my flying.
Here's a good one that breaks down a lesson in airmanship, which I feel is applicable to any pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBt8tQLeOWA

Last edited by Schteevie on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I'm not sure if any of the options fit my opinions. I have watched a few of your videos. They are pretty good. It's the internet so as you can imagine I made an excellent red thai curry dish the other night.

Which is to say 48 minutes, "Squirrel!" is extremely long for a video on the internet but I intend to watch it if I can find time or I might watch it in smaller bits.

I might like an entire flight but if you just went somewhere it might not seem pretty long and not be quite as exciting not actually being onboard.

Schteevie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re:

Post by Schteevie »

Beefitarian wrote:I'm not sure if any of the options fit my opinions... 48 minutes, "Squirrel!" is extremely long for a video on the internet...
I thought I covered all the options, but fair enough.

And yes, "Squirrel!" made me LOL.
It seems the majority want shorter videos, which I tend to agree with…

But there is a definite dedicated bunch that are willing to sit through 30+ min videos…
I have to admit, I'm not generally into long videos, but there are a few guys that consistently make watchable longer uncut flight videos because they are careful to choose flights that had some good consistent action, and then add to them, with onscreen text and/or voice over… which is what I've done in my "test" long flight video.
Anyway - I will see how it goes, but I don't plan to change my format for the most part.
Short and sweet, well thought out videos will be the bulk of what I post, but I may pepper in some long flights now and then if the video is watchable.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

VERY cool! You did an excellent job!

JDW
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JDW »

A little editing cant hurt, the only thing that drives me crazy is when people replace the soundtrack with terrible music. Especially when its one of 5 or so cliche 'aviation' related songs. Remember, any aircraft engine sounds better than kenny logins

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Edited to the good parts sounds perfect but some longer flights might be good too if like you say there is something to keep people engaged. Unfortunately these days that takes quite a bit of stimulation. Have you ever watched a great old movie. They feel very slow.

I remember enjoying castaway which was intentionally long to give you a sense of what he was going through, when my brother and I talked about it once his wife's only comment? "It was sooo long."

Keep doing videos that you enjoy. Seems to be working quite well as far as I can tell.

Schteevie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Schteevie »

JDW wrote:A little editing cant hurt, the only thing that drives me crazy is when people replace the soundtrack with terrible music. Especially when its one of 5 or so cliche 'aviation' related songs. Remember, any aircraft engine sounds better than kenny logins
I totally hear that!

I had a good sound designer friend make a spoof of the top gun song combined with a spoof of "danger zone", to use for a tongue in cheek trailer that I am making for my channel.
The theme song under my head and tail branding for all my videos is the slow part of that track
- then it builds into a "danger zone" like song - hopefully when I get the edit finished, the joke is not lost on anyone.

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

Ha GSAR....Small world I flew P28 GVDH that Beeftarian flew in the past and I flew GSAR.

Here is small video from me with the GSAR in the action. The other one is mine FMCW.

I am not good at editing yet, got to work on the go pro and sound sync as well. I used the music until I figure that part out.

Schteevie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Schteevie »

FenderManDan wrote: I am not good at editing yet, got to work on the go pro and sound sync as well. I used the music until I figure that part out.
I'll trade you editing lessons for guitar lessons :P
I wanna learn to play Bass - I have an electric guitar and a nice 5 string bass that I bought to keep around for jamming with friends (I play drums).
I got "Rock Smith 2014" for the PS3 thinking that'll get me off my butt to try these dang guitars that I have kicking around.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I'm ready for a video of vdh flying while China Grove plays in the back ground. Played rocksmith yesterday first time, it was pretty cool.

I made it through the entire night circuits but partially because I'm not current so I even enjoyed it. Seeing the vortices on the water was very cool. So I notice you don't call down wind mid field. Makes sense because of the amount of straight in traffic but I have never seen that before.

The go pro hides yaw very well. I noticed when you went into a slip it did not change as much as I expected visually.

smokescreen_wshh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smokescreen_wshh »

Great Vids, just subscribed.

Schteevie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re:

Post by Schteevie »

Beefitarian wrote:The go pro hides yaw very well. I noticed when you went into a slip it did not change as much as I expected visually.
Yes, the wide lens dampens movement, and especially yaw - it also makes you look lower than you actually were.
In this case, the yaw is more obvious when I come out of the slip and the nose swings a fair bit to get lined up, but that is mainly because the runway is closer so you have the bigger reference for the centreline as related to the axis of the plane.
This video was shot with the "medium" setting for the GoPro lens which makes the view a little more natural than the crazy max wide setting which is great for capturing a wide vista, but does not create a realistic perspective, so it is not as good for things like judging landings.

Schteevie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Schteevie »

smokescreen_wshh wrote:Great Vids, just subscribed.
awesome thnx!
I try to get a new one up once a week or so.
Have been busy lately, so it was a ~3 week wait, but then I put up that epic one 8)

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Is your forward looking camera inside? It looks like it's on the wing but probably only due to how you have placed the panel on screen.

carbeerater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by carbeerater »

Won't let me vote :(

Schteevie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re:

Post by Schteevie »

Beefitarian wrote:Is your forward looking camera inside? It looks like it's on the wing but probably only due to how you have placed the panel on screen.
Yes, my forward facing cam is in the top corner of the windshield - it "almost" feels like it is outside.
image quality suffers a little shooting through dirty / scratched plane windows, but the stress / hassle of mounting outside on a rental aircraft is prohibitive.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

It's a great compromise. Keeps the bugs off your camera too.

I would say for me predominately your well edited to the good parts with some un edited full flights.

Here's a typical oddity dealing with me. I was ok watching the unedited but had to fight wanting to find a distraction/stimulation. Then you were about to back track. I was for some reason excited to see that. Then it got cut.

So sometimes especially when dealing with internetians, we are just looking for something to complain about. "Not happy unless it sounds like we're not happy."

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

I subscribed to the channel a while back, and I really like the videos, but anything more than 5 minutes and I'm probably out. I need it edited. The videos tell good stories though, and I think that's key. Watching you fly isn't fun, the story about flying and what you're learning or what challenge you're facing is fun. Great work though, I admire your commitment to this project.

Return to “General Comments”