Motorcycle-licensed pilots

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

xysn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Motorcycle-licensed pilots

Post by xysn »

Lane-splitting with your bike on the 401 at night, probably not all that safe, even for a seasoned rider. Cruising along country roads on a bike, wearing a suit and helmet, probably not all that dangerous.

Also, a surprising number of bike deaths involve alcohol and / or lack of helmet, perhaps just as as surprising number of flying deaths involve fuel exhaustion or flying into IMC. Easily controllable risks.
---------- ADS -----------

Low time PPL
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Conspiciously missing from this thread is a certain pilot (and avcanadian) who entered the brotherhood of two wheels after 50 years on this planet, proving that you're never to old to start. :D

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Shiny Side Up wrote:Its the illusion of safety that matters Colonel.

You have two possible responses to threats to one's flesh, you can fear and avoid them, or you can get back in the saddle and resolve to make yourself better at dealing with them. That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Of course there's still a chance it might kill you. The funny thing I always find is that people are always out there risking themselves in ways that they're unaware of anyhow. As long as the illusion that they're safe holds up, then they don't really know where the Grim Reaper hides in day to day life.
Oh yes, I fully agree with that. Keep showing the pictures, I hope to change my mind someday...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

Been riding for awhile,

http://youtu.be/QlkH4q8SRuk

vstrom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vstrom »

Allegedly this is the only way I can keep my bikes upright..
stuck.jpg
stuck.jpg (145.99 KiB) Viewed 2100 times

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

This past spring I decided to do the responsible thing with my income tax return and bought a bike. A 2001 ninja 600. Can't wait for the snow to melt to get her out again. I keep telling the fiancé I want a bmw 1200gs for Xmas. Let's see what happens. :wink:

Pavese
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pavese »

digits_ wrote:
Shiny Side Up wrote:Its the illusion of safety that matters Colonel.

You have two possible responses to threats to one's flesh, you can fear and avoid them, or you can get back in the saddle and resolve to make yourself better at dealing with them. That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Of course there's still a chance it might kill you. The funny thing I always find is that people are always out there risking themselves in ways that they're unaware of anyhow. As long as the illusion that they're safe holds up, then they don't really know where the Grim Reaper hides in day to day life.
Oh yes, I fully agree with that. Keep showing the pictures, I hope to change my mind someday...

OK, here's how to dip your toe in the pond and greatly reduce the chances that you, yourself will hurt yourself before you get over the learning curve stage: A) Take a rider training course! (inexpensive, they provide the bike) and B) Follow that up with some quality time off road on a dirt bike like vstrom shows.

The training course will get you over the rookie, dangerous to yourself stage in a controlled environment with experienced instructors keeping an eye on you (and at the end you'll drive away with your license) and the dirt riding will teach you the muscle memory of how to "feel" the bike and hear what it's telling you at a much lower (safer) speed than anything you'll do on the road.

Part "A" didn't exist when I started but healthy doses of Part "B" did and it was a ball! On the other hand, Ms. Pavese did the course, started with a sensible lightweight bike (Kawi 305) and now rocks a Ninja 600 with confidence.

You train with an instructor to be a pilot and fly low performance (trainer) planes to learn and get your license, pretty clear parallel there isn't it. :mrgreen:

I'm a big believer in "growing into" a bigger bike as you gain experience and are less danger to yourself. I think too many people do the course on the training bikes then jump into something too big, too fast, kind of like getting your license in a 152 then going out and buying a new Cirrus. That's the benefit of starting young, you can't afford something too big until you're ready for it. :wink:

Go do that course! Discover another way to get that rush!

D 8)

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

There are some really good starter bikes now:

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/sport/cbr250r

I can't honestly recommend the CBR125
except for parking lot training.

http://www.kawasaki.ca/product/ninja-300

The Kawi ex 250/500 have been "the" starter
bikes for many years. Quality is not the best
compared to a Honda, though (I own both).
They traditionally have good power and not
the best handling - long story on corporate
culture and an airport, actually.

I haven't ridden this one yet, but Suzuki makes
one heluva motorcycle:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20L ... GW250.aspx

Suzuki's gixxer thou and Busa are legendary motorcycles,
I'm sure this one is a good one, too.

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

Why We Ride:

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Colonel Sanders wrote:I haven't ridden this one yet, but Suzuki makes
one heluva motorcycle:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20L ... GW250.aspx

Suzuki's gixxer thou and Busa are legendary motorcycles,
I'm sure this one is a good one, too.
Suzuki makes your best bang per buck when it comes to bikes. Most of their bikes these days use the same bulletproof engines they've been using for years. I've been considering finding a 'busa for a while. Its an awesome bike, though I'm not sure I really need that kind of performance given how much I ride. That aside I'm keeping my eye out for a mid model GSX-R 1100 for a project.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
tractor driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tractor driver »

Thanks for recommending the course to the beginners guys. I must agree since I've taught it for 20+ years.
We try to have a mix of bikes for the novices to try. Cruisers, standards, sport and endure-ish. Inevitably, the majority gravitate to the sport bikes (we use Ninja 250's with the fairings removed 'cause if we didn't do it, the students will.....
And as you say, a license to learn. Some knowledge and skill, now the experience is required. If the newby's come out with the idea that where you look is where you're going to go, we feel we've done our job @ the M2 level, many return for the M2 exit to the full M. We've received some pretty cool post cards from past students who've expanded their horizons.
Great bunch of posts here, amusing that bikers are sometimes seen as riff-raff, and pilots as elite, yet this is one of the most civil and good natured threads I've seen lately.
Any one know what night The Shepard is on this year?
Cheers!
g

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

I've been considering finding a 'busa for a while
Busa is the King. If I didn't have the RC51, I'd have
to get a Busa. Gen1 would be fine with me.

I know the inline 4's are sweet bike engines - I
have one - but there's just something gnarly about
the big L-twin. The sound, the torque. Years ago,
I went riding with some buddies from work, and
after we stopped, one of them said that my bike
sounded like "a Harley on meth" (full Akrapovic).

Franky though, for a normal person interested in
crotch rockets (do normal people ride sportbikes?)
after they've done through the starter bike phase
and ridden a couple of years, I think a pirate bike
(arr arr) 600 is a great choice. Ridiculously easy
and light to ride and maneuver. Cheaper to insure
than a literbike i4.

PS Take the MSF "gearing up" M2 exit course, after
you do your written. One evening of classroom
then two days of riding on the weekend. You will
learn a lot.

PPS If you're a pilot, you owe it to yourself to do
two things:

1) get on a motorcycle
2) get on the water (powerboat, sailboat)

Try it, you might like it!

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Any one know what night The Shepard is on this year?
Traditionally, the 'As It Happens' just before Christmas - that probably means Tuesday 24th. That's when it was last year.. http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/features/ ... -shepherd/

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Pavese
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pavese »

tractor driver wrote: And as you say, a license to learn. Some knowledge and skill, now the experience is required.
I'm glad you mentioned that, like a PPL, the moto license (in whatever flavour you get where you drive) is indeed a license to learn and I meant to thread that into my post too. :wink:

And to your point about the tone of the thread, I'll second that, well done guys!

D 8)

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Shiny Side Up wrote:Conspiciously missing from this thread is a certain pilot (and avcanadian) who entered the brotherhood of two wheels after 50 years on this planet, proving that you're never to old to start. :D
I've been busy getting ready to head south; not to mention I don't have any good pictures of my bike anyway. But if I don't have to do another test flight tomorrow I'll be tinkering with it again, last chance before I head out.

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

I have two bikes. 2012 F650GS and a 2002 DR650.
:bear: :bear:

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
esp803

Post by esp803 »

Shiny Side Up wrote:Conspiciously missing from this thread is a certain pilot (and avcanadian) who entered the brotherhood of two wheels after 50 years on this planet, proving that you're never to old to start.
Where is Doc?

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

esp803 wrote:
Shiny Side Up wrote:Conspiciously missing from this thread is a certain pilot (and avcanadian) who entered the brotherhood of two wheels after 50 years on this planet, proving that you're never to old to start.
Where is Doc?
Rumour has it he was sent on a vacation from AvCanada. The rumour has been confirmed. On indefinite vacation.

In keeping with the new theme of this forum, I will not comment, nor suggest anyone did anything wrong. I will just say I will be contacting one of the mods and asking them to please reconsider their decision.

Doc owns a couple very nice bikes as well. He would have some input on this thread for certain.

Fly safe all.

sidestick stirrer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sidestick stirrer »

"PPS If you're a pilot, you owe it to yourself to do
two things:

1) get on a motorcycle
2) get on the water (powerboat, sailboat"

So, Colonel, when you mention sailing, are you talking about sails sheeted in until they are taut as a drum, the running rigging so tight you could pluck a tune on it, the standing rigging to windward creaking, the lee rail under while the whitewater foams back along the deck?
As you prefer a Pitts to a a Skyhawk and a sport bike to a cruiser, I doubt you are one of the "set it and forget it" crowd, who are happy to just throw the dock lines on deck with the fenders, hoist the sails most of the way, sheet them in until the wrinkles are gone, kick all the lines aside in the cockpit to find a spot to sit, put one foot on the tiller and occasionally glance towards the bow to ensure not running into anything. As long as the boat is moving, that is good enough...

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

I loved sailing when I was a kid. Spent some vacations
in the Thousand Island, getting sunburned. I love the
water.

Anything that flies, floats or f__ks is magical :wink:

Return to “General Comments”