Planning an Aviation tour trip... Thoughts?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Planning an Aviation tour trip... Thoughts?

Post by xchox »

So I am thinking about doing this... North Korea... and you get to fly on:

ILYUSHIN IL-18 / ILYUSHIN IL-62 / ILYUSHIN IL-76 / TUPOLEV TU-134 / TUPOLEV TU-154 / TUPOLEV TU-204 / ANTONOV AN-24 / ANTONOV AN-148

For 1600 euros... not including the flight to Beijing or the Visa.

http://www.juchetravelservices.com/The% ... Tours.html

Thoughts???? I'm pretty pumped about this!
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Planning an Aviation tour trip... Thoughts?

Post by andy_mtl »

that looks like loads of fun! a bit pricey but you get your bang for your bucks in my opinion!! if you do go for it, post some pictures!
cheers

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

Just be careful. A trip to North Korea could screw up your ability to travel to some non communist countries in the future. For Example: A buddy of mine works in China and was contemplating a trip to Tibet ( also on my bucket list ). He was advised to cancel the trip because he could be seen as a sympathizer and thus lose his work visa ( worth about 200k per year to him ). He wisely cancelled the trip :rolleyes:

Drinking lots of coffee lately, at a nice safe jungle desk, wishing I were flying......
ReturningPPL
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ReturningPPL »

I'd hate to be in North Korea and get into any form of trouble. 1000HP might have a point --- also if you are even so much as travelling say into Canada or the USA that a North Korean stamp on your passport may cause problems or at least more questions at customs.

If you have some euros hanging around I would rather take a trip through mainstream Europe, visit some flight schools/rental places set up a cockpit cam or i-phone thing and document a trip private flying around the continent then post videos of yourself in the Captain's seat as a diary or souvenir.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

1000HP, I think the point of living in a free country is that you can travel to a communist country without getting hassled by your government. That's kinda the basis of the whole China = communist = bad / western world = free = good propaganda we keep spoon feeding everyone.

Xchox, there are economic sanctions in place, and I'd check the rules about bringing any souvenirs back, but I wouldn't worry about passport stamps. Personally I wouldn't spend or send 5 cents there for reasons North Shore has made clear but it looks like you'd be in good company:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25443454

1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

I gotta agree with you arahmin. ( However a later trip to South Korea might be interesting ) If we don't exercise our rights to freedom we will lose that those rights. With that in mind I am planning to buy $250 worth of 75 and 100 watt incandescent light jobs before the Feds ban them on January 1st....
But being careful is always good advice ;)

Drinking lots of coffee lately, at a nice safe jungle desk, wishing I were flying......
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I'm just going to smuggle mine up from the US. It's really a shame how many of our laws are written at the behest of Chinese factory owners.

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

ahramin wrote:1000HP, I think the point of living in a free country is that you can travel to a communist country without getting hassled by your government. That's kinda the basis of the whole China = communist = bad / western world = free = good propaganda we keep spoon feeding everyone.
It' not propaganda, try living in one of those "paradises" and see for yourself.

You may live in a free country, but your ability to visit other countries (free or not) is affected by where you've traveled before. You absolutely should expect extra questions from customs depending on what is in your passport. As a tax paying Canadian citizen, I'm glad our customs asks those questions. It's your right to travel where you wish (or at least, where other countries will let you in) but it's any other country's right to deny you entry. I used to fly with 3 passports for this very reason. Some could be used in some countries but NEVER used in others. Cuba, for example typically doesn't stamp your passport because some countries don't like to see that you've been there.

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

ahramin wrote:I'm just going to smuggle mine up from the US. It's really a shame how many of our laws are written at the behest of Chinese factory owners.

They are banning the sale and production of incandescent(?) light bulbs 60 or 100W on January 1st. Our laws parallel (follow) the American lead more than they follow the behest of Chinese factory owners.

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

ReturningPPL wrote:I'd hate to be in North Korea and get into any form of trouble.
Getting in trouble there is pretty much impossible, since all tourists are accompanied by government guides everywhere they go. You cannot go anywhere on your own.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

azimuthaviation wrote:They are banning the sale and production of incandescent(?) light bulbs 60 or 100W on January 1st.
Doh. So much for that plan. Back to stockpiling I guess.

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by xchox »

Well I plan on doing alot of research on this during the holidays. As for those "scary" videos... here is one I believe is a LOT more fair and less biased:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oULO3i5Xra0

But I mean it might be my last chance to fly these beautys:

And maybe if I'm lucky I might get on the IL-14... which is not part of the tour:

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.

Return to “General Comments”