A real brain buster

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Which one would you pick?

Direct entry single piston PIC
92%
Ramp for 1.5 yr and FO on multi Piston
8%

Total votes: 100

FogboundBird
Rank 1
Rank 1

A real brain buster

Post by FogboundBird »

If you had the choice of going straight into a single piston vfr PIC position or spend a year and a half on the ramp and go FO on a multi piston which path would you take?
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: A real brain buster

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Is it really a brain buster? It is actually a no-brainer!! (Assuming equal working conditions) Without seeing any results so far, this one should be unanimous!

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

You can get that multi job after a year and a half of flying SEVFR and instead of a sore back have several hundred hours PIC instead.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Did you ever notice the job ads for direct entry Captains? Did you wonder why they are not upgrading their FOs?
PIC time is gold

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Ramp is a carrot with 'results not typical' written all over it. Have fun 'proving yourself' on a 'Ho or King Air after 60 hours a week chucking bags and nothing but Flight Simulator for the last 12 months.

PIC is king.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Sidebar
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Sidebar »

Go for the PIC job.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

I would like to hear from those that are saying work the ramp...are they just trying to go against the grain or what? What is the pro- argument for working the ramp to a "maybe" f/o position on a piston twin?

Edited for proper emphasis

Last edited by cdnpilot77 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Piper Navajo...... :smt007 :smt055 :smt060

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

This isn't a real question. It's a question of options rather than preferences. How many operators hire direct to a PIC position? Even on a 172 I think it's pretty rare. A list of operators who do would be pretty handy. I assume we're excluding instructor gigs...

Last edited by Tail-Chaser on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Can you negotiate a longer time on the ramp?

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

This thread must be a troll.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Hmmmm

Attachments
fry-not-sure-if-trolling_191-1.jpg
fry-not-sure-if-trolling_191-1.jpg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Tail-Chaser wrote:This isn't a real question. It's a question of options rather than preferences. How many operators hire direct to a PIC position? Even on a 172 I think it's pretty rare. A list of operators who do would be pretty handy. I assume we're excluding instructor gigs...
Wow........ ramp time to get on a 172?

I think that's the saddest thing I've ever heard......

angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

This may come across as a little harsh since you're probably "new", but if you're actually serious about this "brain buster" of a question, you're not ready to be a Pilot in Command. (In my opinion) :)

And "Pie", Ramp time for 172..... "Inconceivable"!!

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Tail-Chaser wrote:This isn't a real question. It's a question of options rather than preferences. How many operators hire direct to a PIC position? Even on a 172 I think it's pretty rare. A list of operators who do would be pretty handy. I assume we're excluding instructor gigs...
Exact Air in St-Honoré,Qc hires quite a few pilots on Cessna 182RG for the fire season every summer. Those are direct to PIC position.

JP

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

That sounds like great experience for a low-time pilot.

A little single-engine time won't permanently damage
your logbook, even if it's VFR :roll:

Not sure how PIC could be a bad thing. Looks good in
the logbook, and you get to learn from your decisions.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Colonel Sanders wrote:That sounds like great experience for a low-time pilot.

A little single-engine time won't permanently damage
your logbook, even if it's VFR :roll:

Not sure how PIC could be a bad thing. Looks good in
the logbook, and you get to learn from your decisions.
Sarcasm?

I am a helicopter pilot working toward my ATPL(A). Experience-wise, I meet every single requirement except one, the first one: 1500TT, 900 of which has to be on aeroplanes.

That means that I could go with an instructor on a C152, day, VFR, turning in circle above the airfield and not even touching the controls and that would count toward that requirement, but every hour I fly as PIC in a multi-engine, multi-crew turbine helo, Night NVG or in IMC counts for nada.

That little gig isn't bad at all!!

JP

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

Outlaw58 wrote: Exact Air in St-Honoré,Qc hires quite a few pilots on Cessna 182RG for the fire season every summer. Those are direct to PIC position.

JP
I don't remember if it was Exact Air, but I've even met a guy in Baie-Comeau, fresh out of his Multi-IFR-CPL, that landed a 337 single pilot fire patrol job. PIC multi job right off the bat, 200hTT. Also met during the same XC another guy (EDIT: 200TT, CPL only) who got a PIC photo op job on a Cardinal and got to fly anywhere from Quebec to Newfounland. And that was in 2011, when all the low time guys were whining that it was impossible to find a job.

Think ahead or fall behind!
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

trampbike wrote:
Outlaw58 wrote: Exact Air in St-Honoré,Qc hires quite a few pilots on Cessna 182RG for the fire season every summer. Those are direct to PIC position.

JP
I don't remember if it was Exact Air, but I've even met a guy in Baie-Comeau, fresh out of his Multi-IFR-CPL, that landed a 337 single pilot fire patrol job. PIC multi job right off the bat, 200hTT. Also met during the same XC another guy (EDIT: 200TT, CPL only) who got a PIC photo op job on a Cardinal and got to fly anywhere from Quebec to Newfounland. And that was in 2011, when all the low time guys were whining that it was impossible to find a job.
Whining might not be the right word...it was very difficult to get any job in English speaking canada (I can't say for Quebec) in that stretch of 2-3 years no matter how much effort or how many tactics were used. It is quite possible you came across the 2 luckiest bastards in Canada. I don't think I would classify my year long unemployment from June 2009- June 2010 as an easy journey nor could anyone say I didn't do everything in my power while keeping high morals to try and land a job. Careful with the blanket statements

Ps. I didn't complain once about my situation, I just tried every single day to do whatever I could to change it.

Last edited by cdnpilot77 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Outlaw58 wrote: That means that I could go with an instructor on a C152, day, VFR, turning in circle above the airfield and not even touching the controls and that would count toward that requirement.....
No it wouldn't.... you have to be actually doing something for it to count. It's pretty amazing what 1000 hours on even the most simple aircraft will gain you--especially if it is flying for a living in marginal VFR conditions.
but every hour I fly as PIC in a multi-engine, multi-crew turbine helo, Night NVG or in IMC counts for nada.
Neither does my complex fixed wing time get me anywhere closer to a helicopter license...... nor would I expect it to.

Return to “General Comments”