ATPL Processing Times

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flythatwing
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: ATPL Processing Times

Post by flythatwing »

Application received @YWG Office on September 16th
Received my log books back September 28th
Sticker came in today October 7th.

I am pretty impressed to say the least! I had all my logbooks certified before I mailed out the application, not sure if that helped any but I am quite happy with their processing times.
---------- ADS -----------

atplstudent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by atplstudent »

Hi everyone

I am waiting for my ATPL to be processed. Its been 5 weeks now, YYZ. I do not know what takes them that much time to check my hours.

Someone know why it takes weeks to calculate simple arythmetics. If anybody works a TC, can you explain the process.

I always wonder if they take everylines of my logbook and double check it with the airplane logboog, so for that, they need to call every company I worked for during the last 8 years,and call the private owner of a plane I rented a block of hours on 6 years ago ? If so I can imagine the time, for the investigation and the reply from the company etc.
I understand that they need to check if my night time have been done following the 6 6 6 rules
What else ?

God dammit I need that ATPL sooner then later for my captain ride.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

atplstudent wrote:...
I always wonder if they take everylines of my logbook and double check it with the airplane logboog, so for that, they need to call every company I worked for during the last 8 years,and call the private owner of a plane I rented a block of hours on 6 years ago ? If so I can imagine the time, for the investigation and the reply from the company etc.
I understand that they need to check if my night time have been done following the 6 6 6 rules
I have no clue what TC does with these applications but I suspect you are overthinking it.

~900 of my hours were in my Mooney, never got a call from TC to see the journey log. Also they could not check my night currency as I did not include the columns of my electronic logbook that included the # of take-off's/landings nor did it indicate whether when I was solo vs. carrying passengers.

Glenn

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Took my application about 9 weeks. Toronto office.

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

Just submitted my logbooks today. I'll keep everyone informed on how long it takes. Fingers crossed for a quick one.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Application submitted Dec 29th
Phone call on Feb 4 that it was approved
Sticker arrived in the mail 2 weeks later

Went through TC Richmond. I was able to have a meeting with the licensing officer and go through the logbook with her which was great.

I didn't have my most recent entries certified (but had previous most of my previous entries certified). She did say that although it'd not required to have the entries certified, there's more credibility to them if they are certified. I took that to mean if there's something that seems a little off, a certified log book may pass muster whereas there may need to be more background checks with non-certified times.

She also mentioned that for IFR time (perhaps all time), they start from the most recent and work backwards. I had well over the amount of IFR time, but for the first two weeks of my flying career had logged all time as IFR (we filed it), but then learned pretty quickly that that's not appropriate and tried to estimate what time we were flying with reference to instruments mostly. Not an exact science. The licensing officer indicated that they are generally looking for a certain ratio of IFR time to flight time based on the type of operation. I don't like the fact that there's this type of ambiguity with regard to logging IFR time, but if you try and give an honest estimate of your IFR time you'll be good.

Overall it was a very smooth and professional process. Just understand that they have to go through your book and tick off all the boxes of the requirements. Make it as easy as possible for them. I used a few sticky tabs to help organize.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I had well over the amount of IFR time, but for the first two weeks of my flying career had logged all time as IFR (we filed it), but then learned pretty quickly that that's not appropriate and tried to estimate what time we were flying with reference to instruments mostly. Not an exact science. The licensing officer indicated that they are generally looking for a certain ratio of IFR time to flight time based on the type of operation. I don't like the fact that there's this type of ambiguity with regard to logging IFR time, but if you try and give an honest estimate of your IFR time you'll be good.
If you are flying filed IFR in an airplane with one of those things called an auto pilot on do they want you to break down the time the autopilot was flying it IMC versus clear of cloud?

Or is all time flown IFR using the autopilot not counted period?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

My sticker was sent in the mail today! I submitted my ATPL on March 9th, sticker on April 12th. Prairie and northern region.

coconut123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by coconut123 »

I received the sticker today. Did you guys place it over the CPL sticker, underneath it or on page 5?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Never cover up a sticker!

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

What do you do if you've run out of places to put stickers? Will they send you a new book?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

That I have no clue..........

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

I submitted my ATPL application/logbook in person at the YWG office on September 18th (exactly a month ago), they mailed it to the YYZ TC office for processing, and I just got an email today letting me know my ATPL has been successfully processed, and that I should receive the sticker in the mail as well as my logbook very soon. Also, I can see on my file online, when I login to the TC website that it now says I hold an ATPL. I have to say - The last couple of times I have dealt with TC, their service has improved compared to 2-3 years ago.

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anticyclone »

ATPL (A) 8 weeks YUL area, good luck.

cloudskimmer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cloudskimmer »

7 weeks for me in YYZ (they quoted me 8 business weeks at that time when I submitted it). Went to the office to get it signed off and pick up my logbook. The sticker came about a week later.

However, you can get it in a day or 2 if you give TC evidence you require it immediately. E.g. Job offer, upgrade offer, equipment bid, etc...

Return to “General Comments”