Packin' Heat - Pilot Arrested With Gun in Carry-on Bag

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Packin' Heat - Pilot Arrested With Gun in Carry-on Bag

Post by GyvAir »

Hey Josh, where you goin' with that gun in your hand?

Definitely a "What were you thinking?" situation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/l ... -1.2597084
A commercial airline pilot from the United States was arrested a week ago at the Calgary International Airport after he was caught trying to clear security with a loaded firearm.

Joshua Petty White, a pilot for SkyWest Airlines, failed to declare his gun when he landed in Canada from the U.S. on March 27, Lisa White, spokeswoman for the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) confirmed Thursday.

The next day, he tried to board a return flight as a member of the flight crew and was caught at a security checkpoint at Calgary International Airport with the gun in his carry-on luggage.

Security officials called police because he was not authorized to have a gun in Canada.

The U.S.'s Transportation Security Administration said Thursday White used his Known Crew Member status to bypass security at Salt Lake International Airport.

White is not part of the Federal Flight Deck Officer (FFDO) program, whose members are permitted to carry firearms on board planes, according to a senior U.S. official.

The weapon he was carrying, a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380-calibre, is not one of the guns issued to FFDO pilots, the official said.
---------- ADS -----------

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Packin' Heat - Pilot Arrested With Gun in Carry-on Bag

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Toss his mindless ass in jail for at least a year, and ban him from entering Canada for life. There is NO excuse for this kind of stupity. These folks KNOW the rules. Play by them. No special consideration should be given here. The Americans think they run the world. Send them a message that they don't.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Announcing the delay of Flight #>£€, your Captain has been wandering through the terminal, and perhaps the streets of Calgary, with a loaded hand gun. It may take some time to locate an unarmed replacement. These people and their guns. Some won't vacuum the house without a holstered sidearm because......"I can't hear an intruder over the noise of the vacuum......" Get a dog!
Illya

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

Someone had a handgun in Canada? How many people got shot?!?!....none? Well he must have held up a convenience store or two right? No? Maybe he was going to hijack a plane....

Seriously, he s an idiot for not knowing we have a "you can't do that" rule here, but most Canadians are way bigger fools for believing they are safer because only cops and serious criminals carry guns.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Passenger gets caught with a pipe bomb, allowed to board plane. Pilot found with a gun, OFF TO JAIL!!! Good thing they screen us flight crew.

Seriously, could have simply left it in his bag by accident. I tried to bring a SCUBA diving knife in my carry on by accident, got busted, realized "crap, forgot it was in there". People make mistakes, now, this guy may have done it on purpose, who knows. I know of pilots who forgot ammo and other no no items in an overnight bag once after going hunting. Criminal? No. Absent minded? Yes.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

flyingvinnie wrote:That is one of the dumbest arguments ever. Guns are specifically designed to kill, nothing more or less. Yes, there are car accidents that kill people to. As there are airplane accidents that kill people, too. Do we need to ban airplanes? NO. There are doctors that mess up and cause deaths. Do we need to ban doctors? NO.
Certainly don't need to ban guns either - for the same reasons why we won't ban responsible car owners, responsible pilots and responsible doctors.

FWIW - I currently live in the states - it's just like living north of the 49th parallel, they just say "ya'll" instead of "eh". This numptie would have been arrested down in the States too - can't carry guns on a plane.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Seriously, could have simply left it in his bag by accident.
In that case, he should be beaten senseless with his firearm as well!
That goes straight to the heart of the 'responsible firearms owner' - know where you left a potentially deadly item! How could you get so cavalier about your firearm as to 'forget' it in your carry-on?

Either he knew it was there, and he's an idiot, or he forgot that it was there, and he's still an idiot...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

It is amazing how in this culture we love to tell everyone how afraid we are of everything. Guns, flying, spiders, dentist, everyone is proud to tell those around them of their irrational fears.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Well.....if you are going to pack a handgun in your carry on, ay least make it a REAL gun. Not some wimpy, chick .380! Pack at least a 1911 in ,45ACP! Or, better still, a "hog leg" in .454!
Hey, I have a 1911, and a SA.22........and I KNOW where they are. Packing a handgun in a foreign country, with NO right to do so, is a major criminal code violation! Some of you seem to think its "no big"......try this crap in the States. I guarantee you'll get some quality time in a 8 foot square cage with a new GF named Billy Bob! No picture him misplacing his bag. Now, picture it found by some kid.
Illya

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Things got a bit sidetracked here. I'm not advocating everyone should be allowed hand guns in their carryon bags but I do think there should be one in the cockpit and the pilots should be trained in how to properly use it. Also that episode where a pipe bomb was discovered and then security tried to give it back to the passenger is just to stupid for words.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

NWONT wrote:There are hundreds of true cases, even school shootings, that have been brought to an end quickly because someone at the scene was armed and prepared to act.
I wonder how often those cases end up going this way instead?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgJKA_lCR2c
Illya Kuryakin wrote:Hey, I have a 1911, and a SA.22........and I KNOW where they are.
And I'd be willing to bet they're not loaded either. This guy's gun was not only in his carry-on, forgotten or whatever the case may be, but also loaded.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Honestly, guns aren't a big deal to me. In fact I miss my old Hi Standard .22 revolver (which I sold to fund flying :( ). They certainly have their place in society and like any tool, need to be used properly by people trained and competent in their use.

But Americans see guns as their Gawad given right to have... hearkening back to that good ol' Second Amendment from over 200 years ago that ensured the citizens could arm themselves against oppressors with muskets, cavalry, and field artillery... ... not wire taps, tanks, and drones.

This bozo gives a bad name to all law-abiding gun owners, and pilots as well.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

[Difficult for me to moderate this, as I'm involved in the discussion]

Gents, I will remind you that this is a discussion about one particular individual breaking Canadian laws, and coming somewhat close to breaking international ones relating to weapons on board aeroplanes.

It's got *Nothing* to do with school shootings, whether guns are a good thing or a bad, or giving your 'old lady a spinner' [what's that? :? ]
Please keep that in mind...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

NWONT wrote:Things got a bit sidetracked here. I'm not advocating everyone should be allowed hand guns in their carryon bags but I do think there should be one in the cockpit and the pilots should be trained in how to properly use it. Also that episode where a pipe bomb was discovered and then security tried to give it back to the passenger is just to stupid for words.
NO. There shouldn't be one in the cockpit. Some airline pilot already shot himself in the leg "putting it in the holster." ....it just went off....." sure it did, oh mindless one! A modern pistol/revolver will NOT fire unless the trigger is FULLY pulled! There is no modern hand gun that will go BANG even when cocked, if you let it bounce down the stairs of the Empire State Building! Even LEOs shoot themselves accidentally. Most airline pilots are GUYS. Guys get bored. On a 14 hour flight...."Hey Bob, let's look at your new Dessert Eagle....." BANG. Damn..."Centre, we have a problem...."
No Guns in cockpits....
Illya

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

I know a guy that cut himself with his hunting knife too. If someone is trying to take over the plane I'm flying and chanting Allah Ackbar..........I want a gun and I want it loaded and I'm going to use it.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

I'm with North Shore on this one,

The point isn't that guns are bad, or good, or evil, or safe. The point is this man broke MANY Canadian laws regarding firearms. Ignorance of laws in a foreign country is not a valid reason for ignoring their laws. I find the fear that people have regarding safety in the cockpit alarming. I miss the days when little Timmy was allowed to go up to the cockpit during flight and talk with the pilots. All these locked doors, firearms, air marshals.... Makes me happy I will never be an Airline Pilot.

As for the Utah resident, he's being charged with:

Unlawful Storage, Handling and transport of a fire arm
Unauthorized Possession of a Weapon
Possession of a Prohibited Weapon
Smuggling
Importation of a Prohibited Weapon

This seems in line with what he did. He brought a loaded, illegal weapon into a foreign Country. Send him to jail, end of story.

E

Edited to add:

NWONT, Does it really matter what he's shouting or what language it's in? Unbelievable.

Last edited by esp803 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Boy. This incident is real simple and has very little to do with anyone's opinion on guns or gun control.

Let's start with a benefit of the doubt. That will be addressed at his hearing.
Here's what we know...
This pilot entered Canada and failed to declare his weapon.
Strike one.
He tried to leave Canada and was found out to be in possession of a concealed weapon.
Strike two.
This pilot knows the laws of at least one signatory to an international agreement regarding the carriage of weapons on board an international flight.
Strike three.

He's broken so many rules and regulations by this one (suggested by some) 'seemingly' innocent act that many seem to thinks that it's no big deal.
It IS a big deal.
At the very least, we should see a conviction, a criminal record, and a firing!!! Not to mention a huge amount of finger wagging by officials all around.

All these opinions and...not one honourable mention for the Walther PPK. Not ONE!

Gino Under :partyman:

FurHat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FurHat »

Pretty simple to me.

Deport him and ban him from returning to Canada. Much cheaper and faster than a trial, and ensures we won't have a problem with his guy again. I don't see the point in throwing him in jail here in Canada at our expense.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

FurHat wrote:Pretty simple to me.

Deport him and ban him from returning to Canada. Much cheaper and faster than a trial, and ensures we won't have a problem with his guy again. I don't see the point in throwing him in jail here in Canada at our expense.
Doesn't send much of a message though....not with you on this one.
Illya

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:Talk's cheap.
+ 1 on that.
Most people when confronted with an actual threatening situation that would call for them shooting another person are going to hesitate, or in the panic of the situation, probably shoot wildly, missing their intended target. Maybe even shoot themselves in the leg while scrabbling to unholster their weapon in the awkward confines of a crew seat/cockpit.

Return to “General Comments”