Flying down to the states

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TheRealOtter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flying down to the states

Post by TheRealOtter »

Had a search and read thru what I found, but it doesn't seem there is too much recent. Been years since I've flown down into the United States, Wondering if anyone who does it regularly or has done it recently can add anything I'm missing;

Get eAPIS acount
File eAPIS manifest (possibly thru third party like flashpass?)
Call the border services at the airport in question with ETA
File Canadian Flight plan from Canada to the airport of entry in the US
Wait in the plane for the customs guys
Once cleared thru customs proceed on and downward into the states using american flight plans.
???
profit

And on the return;
eAPIS departure manifest
call CANPASS
american flight plans to canadian entry airport
wait in plane for customs
Once cleared continue on, on canadian flight plans
???
profit

Am I missing anything; are there any additional steps I'm forgetting? Any tips?

Also I know about SkyVector, are there any additional websites for navigation or for useful information regarding flying in the states that you have come across?

Finally we are flying a commercial aircraft down to do commercial work (702) not including passenger or cargo carrying, will a Private EAPIS account do?; the EAPIS website itself has its own definition of commercial users as those who are carrying passengers or cargo for remuneration, which we are not doing. Has anyone had a similar situation and used a private EAPIS when moving a working machine across the border?

And Thanks for any and all input
*edit: forgot my manners.
---------- ADS -----------

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Flying down to the states

Post by CFR »

TheRealOtter wrote:Had a search and read thru what I found, but it doesn't seem there is too much recent. Been years since I've flown down into the United States, Wondering if anyone who does it regularly or has done it recently can add anything I'm missing;

Get eAPIS acount
Get Customs decal for your aircraft. It takes a few weeks to get it in the mail, but they will usually accept the receipt that you purchased one. They no longer sell them at arrival airports. I was down in the US last Tuesday and meant to ask if you can still pay the per visit entry fee, but forgot :(
File eAPIS manifest (possibly thru third party like flashpass?)
Not sure why you would do this - the eAPIS site works pretty well. In any event make sure to print out copies of eAPIS confirmation and manifest and take them with you. If the border services didn't get a copy, this will prove you filed. If you cancel your flight for any reason, give them a call. This is not strickly required but they appreciate it, especially if they are going to meet you at an airport without on site services.

Check US NOTAM's for TFR's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the item that could cause you the most grief!!
Call the border services at the airport in question with ETA
... at least 1 hr in advance. Be prepared to discover they haven't opened and downloaded eAPIS notifications yet if they are a small entry port. But no worries they will simply take the info over the phone and then retrieve the eAPIS info.
File Canadian Flight plan from Canada to the airport of entry in the US
Get a US transponder code prior to entering US airspace by talking to a US FSS enroute or better yet ask for one when you file the Canadian flight plane. They will give you contact info for the US FSS covering the intended destination and you can call them to get the code (usually good for 1 hour after issue). Change to the US code just prior to crossing the border.

Wait in the plane for the customs guys
Once cleared thru customs proceed on and downward into the states using american flight plans.
???
profit

And on the return;
eAPIS departure manifest
again print copies
call CANPASS
... at least 2 hours prior to anticipated arrival, if arrival time varies by more than 15 minutes call them (yeah, you're right how do you do that in the air? I have a bluetooth headset that hooks to my phone, but other than that ???)
american flight plans to canadian entry airport
ensure you open the flight plan by calling an FSS in the air after takeoff and ask to have your plan opened. They DO NOT automatically open flight plans and even if you file for an anticipated departure time, make sure you confirm it is open with an ATC unit. I have become a bit paranoid about this, because Lockheed Martin has a bad reputation about passing file plans in a timely manner. If you check CADORS you will see many entries for cross border flights without filing a flight plan, because the plan wasn't opened.
wait in plane for customs
Once cleared continue on, on canadian flight plans
???
profit

Am I missing anything; are there any additional steps I'm forgetting? Any tips?

Also I know about SkyVector, are there any additional websites for navigation or for useful information regarding flying in the states that you have come across?
I now have ForeFlight for iPad but have used FltPlan.com which is quite good and if I recall correctly - free

Finally we are flying a commercial aircraft down to do commercial work (702) not including passenger or cargo carrying, will a Private EAPIS account do?; the EAPIS website itself has its own definition of commercial users as those who are carrying passengers or cargo for remuneration, which we are not doing. Has anyone had a similar situation and used a private EAPIS when moving a working machine across the border?
You may wish to call a port of entry and ask. I have had nothing but positive experiences with my dealings with US border services, however your experience may vary!

And Thanks for any and all input
*edit: forgot my manners.

TheRealOtter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheRealOtter »

Very informative response; Much appreciated.
I will keep those things in mind; especially the opening of flight plans and the TFRs.
Also I'll give FltPlan.com a try.

Thanks CFR.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Not to hijack, but it could be useful for someone else seeing this thread too... I've never done any IFR flying in the states. Anyone able to summarize any important differences/gotchas in approaches or ATC between the two countries?

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

You have one error, I think.

I'm just doing all this flowchart now for US charter. You don't wait in the plane for Customs in Canada. You telephone them to let them know you've arrived. If they have some reason to check you or some passengers, they'll already be there. If not, they give you a number and you write it in the journey log and carry on.

Canada is moving to legislate an eAPIS filing to Canada before departing the US.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
kev994
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by kev994 »

sstaurus wrote:Not to hijack, but it could be useful for someone else seeing this thread too... I've never done any IFR flying in the states. Anyone able to summarize any important differences/gotchas in approaches or ATC between the two countries?
Biggest difference is that getting cleared for the approach does not allow you to descend unless you are on a feeder airway (or on the approach of course). They give you step downs the whole way in. They like to give vectors, if you want to do a full procedure they tend to get confused. Other than that it's easier than dealing with all the airspace going VFR.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

sstaurus wrote:Not to hijack, but it could be useful for someone else seeing this thread too... I've never done any IFR flying in the states. Anyone able to summarize any important differences/gotchas in approaches or ATC between the two countries?
There are some significant differences.

I started a thread on that a couple of years ago. Try the search feature.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

cncpc wrote: I'm just doing all this flowchart now for US charter. You don't wait in the plane for Customs in Canada. You telephone them to let them know you've arrived. If they have some reason to check you or some passengers, they'll already be there. If not, they give you a number and you write it in the journey log and carry on.
It might be different for commercial flights, but for my private flight across the border, I had been told to stay in the plane and call them from the airplane. The lady at the phone was a bit pissed off I left the airplane to look for a phone, especially since the airplane was parked at the other end of a 5000 ft runway. The local border agents were quite cool about it though.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

cncpc wrote:You don't wait in the plane for Customs in Canada. You telephone them to let them know you've arrived.
I have yet to leave my aircraft on entry to Canada while clearing customs. In fact, I have only once been met by customs staff. Half the time, I call them while taxiing to the ramp (bluetooth connection to headset). If I get my clearance number before I get to the customs area, I copy it down, taxi back to the runway, and continue on my way. The rest of the time I am at my home airport which is a designated AOE but not normally staffed. We just ask the Tower if there's any customs vehicles waiting, if not we ask for a time check to confirm that we're there when we said we would be, and we'll just taxi directly to our hangar.

Makes me wonder why we can't just cut out the middleman and call customs from just outside the zone... Get the clearance number, close the flight plan with the tower, and then divert directly to your home airport. If they're not coming out to meet you anyway, why should you have to waste gas landing and taking off again?

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

AirFrame wrote:
cncpc wrote:You don't wait in the plane for Customs in Canada. You telephone them to let them know you've arrived.
I have yet to leave my aircraft on entry to Canada while clearing customs. In fact, I have only once been met by customs staff. Half the time, I call them while taxiing to the ramp (bluetooth connection to headset). If I get my clearance number before I get to the customs area, I copy it down, taxi back to the runway, and continue on my way. The rest of the time I am at my home airport which is a designated AOE but not normally staffed. We just ask the Tower if there's any customs vehicles waiting, if not we ask for a time check to confirm that we're there when we said we would be, and we'll just taxi directly to our hangar.

Makes me wonder why we can't just cut out the middleman and call customs from just outside the zone... Get the clearance number, close the flight plan with the tower, and then divert directly to your home airport. If they're not coming out to meet you anyway, why should you have to waste gas landing and taking off again?
I asked that exact question at a recent "rust remover" to some Canada Customs guys who were presenting - "Why can't I call Customs in the pattern and get the clearance to avoid the landing fee at the AOE I have to use?" They had no answer.

waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by waterdog »

This is a great thread as I am looking at flying to the US for the first time, GA and VFR. This looks like a complete "to do" list, has anything changed since 2014?

Kyle

whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

Get your own Eapis account from the website. It's free but can take 24 hrs or so so do it in advance
Make sure your on a squawk code and talking to ATC when you cross the border ( plus everything else you mentioned)
Commercial or not? Hmmmmm I ain't touching that one

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

CFR wrote: Get a US transponder code prior to entering US airspace by talking to a US FSS enroute or better yet ask for one when you file the Canadian flight plane. They will give you contact info for the US FSS covering the intended destination and you can call them to get the code (usually good for 1 hour after issue). Change to the US code just prior to crossing the border.

I was issued a transponder code at my departure (Canadian) airport and was never told to get another one from a US FSS, nor did anyone have any issues with it when I arrived at the destination airport. I wasn't sure how to get a code on the return trip as the FSS that opened my flight plan did not give me one, so prior to calling the border I called Center and asked for flight following. Although they couldn't get radar service for me (too low in mountainous terrain) they gave me a code to use for the border crossing, though I'm still not sure if this is the correct procedure. Can anyone provide a definitive reference for this?

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

US FSS has told me that they cannot give you a code on the ground, but they've always been able to give me one in the air. In one case I was able to get a hold of Center but not FSS and they gave me the code. No references sorry.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Posthumane wrote:Although they couldn't get radar service for me (too low in mountainous terrain) they gave me a code to use for the border crossing, though I'm still not sure if this is the correct procedure. Can anyone provide a definitive reference for this?
If you were too low to be visible on RADAR then it doesn’t matter what code you squawk because ... you’re too low to be on RADAR.

The requirements are listed in the relevant NOTAM and are merely to use an assigned discrete code. It doesn’t matter who assigned it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
dirtdr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirtdr »

What about if something happens and you require maintenance on a C reg plane while in the US? Can any US mechanic execute and log any maintenance?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Yes. Some work may require the mechanic to hold inspection authorization in order to sign the release, that is, to be an A&P/IA.

You must declare the value of the repairs on returning, to CBSA. If it’s an emergency repair you pay a very low rate of HST on the work. Otherwise CBSA will require 13% (in Ontario).

Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

This is one of the best tools for crossing the border, but it has a yearly fee. I find it way easier than the Government site.

https://www.fltplan.com/eapisinfo.htm

"I need a time machine"
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Posthumane wrote:
CFR wrote: Get a US transponder code prior to entering US airspace by talking to a US FSS enroute or better yet ask for one when you file the Canadian flight plane. They will give you contact info for the US FSS covering the intended destination and you can call them to get the code (usually good for 1 hour after issue). Change to the US code just prior to crossing the border.

I was issued a transponder code at my departure (Canadian) airport and was never told to get another one from a US FSS, nor did anyone have any issues with it when I arrived at the destination airport. I wasn't sure how to get a code on the return trip as the FSS that opened my flight plan did not give me one, so prior to calling the border I called Center and asked for flight following. Although they couldn't get radar service for me (too low in mountainous terrain) they gave me a code to use for the border crossing, though I'm still not sure if this is the correct procedure. Can anyone provide a definitive reference for this?
I know that in BC south of Osoyoos, you need to be above 6000 for radar to light you up from a ground statiion. But an airborne patrol aircraft, depending on where it is, can trigger a squawk from you, and in that circumstance, you are good because they know who you are.

I don't know if there are any airborne patrol aircraft. Or maybe drones. Possibly, maybe even probably. Useless if someone is up to no good.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

There are both UAVs and helicopters patrolling the border.

Return to “General Comments”