Springbank Airport Noise Committee Needs Your Help

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

YBW-Kid
Rank 3
Rank 3

Springbank Airport Noise Committee Needs Your Help

Post by YBW-Kid »

Recently printed in the Rocky View Times Letters to the Editor

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.c ... c952c7b023
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
Rocky View Weekly.jpg
Rocky View Weekly.jpg (917.93 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
Jerz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Springbank Airport Noise Committee Needs Your Help

Post by Jerz »

Here we go again. Dummies buy houses next to the airport and complain about the noise. Springbank airport has been there for forty some years and will be there for at least another 40.
Don't ppl make any homework before dropping a couple mil on a house?

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Might have to do some night re-currency training.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

A few years back, SFO had 72,000
noise complaints in one year, and
21,000 of them came from one woman.

Similarly, I remember hearing from PF
that 90% of the noise complaints at
Toronto Island come from six people.

Might be the same here.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Wonder if I can find 8 partners for this?

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetai ... 284085.htm

Those things are kind of noisy.

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Well when you build your house between the Trans Canada highway and the 12th busiest airport in the country, you have a reasonable expectation to live in peace and quiet. But doesnt CP rail run right across there too??

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Not much between the highway and airport right now. The train is on the other side of the river going through Cochrane.

YBW-Kid
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YBW-Kid »

So hopefully my original post above got your attention and pissed you off. That was my intention.

This committee consists of a handful of residents who live to the NE and East of YBW. Each and everyone of them moved into the area and purchased or built their country estates acreage homes many years after Springbank Airport was established in 1969 and officially opened in 1970. I say this with some authority as I grew up on a farm two miles from Springbank Airport and watched it happen. At the time the area was all farmland. There were a handful of farmers who were initially effected by the intrusion of small aircraft flying over their farms. Many of these farmers are still there, most are not. Their farmland is now a checker board of estate homes.

People moved into the area and quickly discovered they did not like the noise made by aircraft taking off, landing, doing run-ups and all the other activities Springbank Airport generates. As Springbank Airport has grown the activity has actually decreased. From 1978 - 1990 the actual aircraft movements have decreased from well over 200,000 annually to approx 165,000 currently. In theory the noise complaints should has decreased. They have not.

So here we have it. A group of people who moved into the area long after the airport was there organizing into a committee and getting political legs which have actually restricted the operations at the airport. Most of the Pilots at Springbank Airport currently don't feel the pinch yet. If you fly a jet or a helicopter you know about it, but the Cessna and Cirrus crowds are in the cross hairs.

Looking into my crystal ball ( I should get a 1-900 number) here is what I see for the future of Springbank Airport. Hundreds perhaps a couple thousand more people joining the Springbank Airport Noise Committee. These people haven't moved into the area yet, but they are coming. They will be living much closer to Springbank Airport than the current 6 or 8 people who have trail blazed the current noise committee. I'm speaking of the Harmony Development of 10,000 people which will literally border the Springbank Airport fence to the north and west. The politicians and Airport Manager in the future will have to deal with very real and strong political pressures from a very strong organized group of people who moved into the area long after Springbank Airport. You don't have to be the Amazing Kreskin to see this vision. (so much for my 1-900 number)

The Developers of Harmony have indicated they will be taking the responsibility of dealing with the future noise complaints away from the Springbank Airport Manager. Let the fox look after the chickens. Eventually the residents of the new development will catch on the Developer has only one goal. Hold a couple of pretend to care meetings each year, make as much money as possible and get out as fast as they can. Leave the problems with the residents, the Springbank Airport Community and the taxpayers of Rocky View. When that happens watch the real restrictions happen at Springbank Airport. Flying Schools, Clubs and AMO's and private owners will see real negative impacts. Once development surrounds any airport, the future of that airport is predictable.

Folks if you support the Harmony Development great- enjoy your new home. If you feel this development is not compatible with the Springbank Airport- get noisy with your emails and letters to the Calgary Airport Authority - the County of Rocky View and anybody you feel will help.

YBW-Kid
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YBW-Kid »

In the recent Rocky View Times- http://www.rockyviewweekly.com/article/ ... 994/-1/rvw

Springbank Business and Pilot’s Association rally against Harmony development
By: Sara Wilson | Posted: Monday, Apr 21, 2014 12:03 pm
The Springbank Business and Pilot’s Association voiced their frustrations over Harmony Developments, a residential, business and light industrial development adjacent to the Springbank Airport, April 14.

In the shadow of a Beechcraft King Air twin-turboprop airplane in the hangar of the Central Aviation Inc., tensions rose between users of the Springbank Airport and the developer in charge of Harmony Developments on April 14.

It may be a done deal, given approval by Rocky View County (RVC) in 2012, but the $6-billion residential development project - set to include 3,500 homes with a golf course, business and light industrial uses adjacent to the Springbank Airport - has members of the Springbank Airport Business and Pilots Association (SABPA) voicing frustrations with the project’s proximity to the airport.

“It just doesn’t make any common sense,” John Fitzsimmons, longtime Springbank resident and recreational pilot explained as he drew out the flights path on an aerial photograph of the planes leaving the airport.

His concerns matched those of the other residents in attendance, who expressed apprehension over potential for an aircraft collision in a residential area as the majority of daily flights hover above the concentration of homes. Members of the SABPA invited Bordeaux Homes and its partners to hear the concerns they had about the project.

Birol Fisekci, president and CEO of Bordeaux homes – the developer for the project, was on hand to field questions over safety, noise reduction, deterring water fowl and building standards.

“I’m disappointed (by the push back),” Fisekci said. “But I think it is because of mixed agendas.”

The Springbank Airport – the 12th busiest in Canada – is used primarily as a training facility. Last year, the airport saw 134,510 movements – airport lingo for departures and arrivals.

The Airport’s number of movements have slowly been decreasing, according to Transport Canada.

Springbank Airport has 167,105 movements in 2008 - 32,595 more than 2013 figures.

The golf course, business and light industrial development will border the airport, with the 3,500 homes developed further back.

“We think it is a safe airport,” Fisekci said. “Most accidents occurred – where they should – on airport land.”

Pilots in the audience took exception, stating the height and frequency of the flights leaving the airport create a great potential for an airplane crash.

“Accidents happen, they happen with highly trained and skilled pilots,” said Bruce Evans, a board member with SABPA. “When those emergencies happen … there’s very little a flight crew can do.”

According to the Transportation Safety Board – a federal agency that records airport incidents – the Springbank Airport and surrounding area has recorded three fatal crashes since 2004.

Since 2004, the agency has 35 recorded incidents at the Springbank Airport and surrounding area, with the most recent occurring on April 14 where “a privately operated amateur-built super petrel 100 … was operating on a local pleasure craft flight from Olds to Didsbury to a private airstrip northwest of Springbank… an approach was conducted... and during touchdown the aircraft ground looped. The upper wing sustained substantial damage. The pilot was uninjured.”

The project has been in the works since 2007 when the conceptual scheme was approved and public hearings and open houses were hosted by RVC and Bordeaux Properties in 2008.

“We’ve had unanimous approval at every stage of the way expect for one,” Fisekci explained. “There’s overwhelming support for Harmony. You should be able to live in Springbank and be able to live progressively to be able move to different price points.”

He explained that the price point would be “affordable,” with prices starting in the low $300,000.

Those in attendance, referenced a report issued by the Calgary Airport Authority dated in 2008, that surmised that “as a basic planning principle, airports and adjacent residential development represents a mix of incompatible land uses…. Over the long term it is the M.D of Rocky View (now Rocky View County) that will be negatively impacted by developments that are incompatible with airport operations.”

Area Councillor Jerry Arshinoff and former Springbank councillor Kim Magnuson were in attendance to listen to Fisekci’s presentation.

“There’s going to be conflict from the people that will live here and the pilots,” Arshinoff said.

“There will be major conflict. Sooner or later an accident will happen.”

Magnuson voted in favour at the time the application was approved.

Recently, Fisekci presented an update of the development to members of the RVC Policy and Priorities Committee (PPC) on March 4.

“RVC has shown true leadership and trust in our process throughout the entire genesis and evolution of Harmony, from the planning stages through the undeniable support we have received for our approvals to date. It was our pleasure to speak with the PPC so that we could update both new and returning councillors on the progress Harmony has made to date,” said Fisekci told the Rocky View Weekly at the time.

At full build-out, the 1,700-acre development will include 3,500 residential units to accommodate about 10,000 people, a multi-purpose lake amenity, parks and open spaces, community services, a community village centre, two 18-hole golf courses, and a business employment area.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

So hopefully my original post above got your attention and pissed you off.
I am old I guess so I can't waste the energy required to be angry at this special kind of moran.

I think you're right though, we should get a 1-900 number and put up signs in the area saying it's a "noise abatement hot line." I'd love to chat with them knowing I'm charging them for the call.

"Oh RILLY? Yes that sounds dreadfull. We will be fining the operator of that aircraft right away. Thank you for your call. Please phone as often as you like."

YBW-Kid
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YBW-Kid »

Pop n Fresh wrote:
So hopefully my original post above got your attention and pissed you off.
I am old I guess so I can't waste the energy required to be angry at this special kind of moran.

I think you're right though, we should get a 1-900 number and put up signs in the area saying it's a "noise abatement hot line." I'd love to chat with them knowing I'm charging them for the call.

"Oh RILLY? Yes that sounds dreadfull. We will be fining the operator of that aircraft right away. Thank you for your call. Please phone as often as you like."

I like your style!!

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

We can take turns being the noisy airplane pilot and the guy taking calls then fining him 35 cents.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

On the day after 9/11 with every aircraft grounded, the Port of New York which is responsible for New York area airports reported, 72 noise complaints for JFK alone :roll:

These people will never be satisfied, they have to be fought on a continuous basis.

imac0960
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by imac0960 »

In Welland we had a woman call 3 times a day to complain about an airplane flying over her house. When asked what the letters on the underside of the wing were she replied, "Oh it's too high up to read those." I did a test over a friends house and flew at 1000agl and the letters and company logo were quite legible.

These people complain just for the sake of complaining. I could understand if YYC was going to start sending 747's in there at all hours of the night, but I doubt they have jets arriving and departing every 2 min at night or even one an hour. Pilots like their sleep as much as the next person.

People often move near the airport because of the decreased housing cost and property taxes and then complain about the noise. That's like moving near a farm and then complaining of the smells.

Zapp Brannigan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

People that complain about noise from aircraft have got to have the most short sighted arguments I've ever read. Do rail companies have the same number of complaints? Highways? Get a life, if you are so stupid to buy a cheaper house outside the city next to a current airport which trains pilots and contributes to the economy, you don't deserve the "right to sleep" till 9 am on weekends.

I sure hope this development isn't too in "Harmony" with nature. I wouldn't want the magpies and ravens waking people up in the early hours.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

imac0960 wrote: People often move near the airport because of the decreased housing cost and property taxes and then complain about the noise. That's like moving near a farm and then complaining of the smells.
That is true but this area has been fairly expensive for a very long time now. Possibly back into the 1950s. It really is a nice place in the foothills toward Banff. It did not start to get populated with urban people until the 1990s, there are many more fancy commuter estates there now.

I still remember the message that was often plowed into the field on final to runway 25.

I'm almost excited to read about the $300000 offerings in Harmony. Alas I may be out of my mind to think my wife would play along and I would probably rather have an acreage.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:Do rail companies have the same number of complaints? Highways?
Actually they do. I've talked to a lot of my fellow complaint recipients over the years. CP Rail apparently has a whole staff dedicated to this, which largely is their "f@ck off" department. Most Canadians don't realise that lots of them are living on CP's land when they phone. Funny stuff. I spoke with the operator of the golf course next door, where they built one of those golf course communities. He has a nonstop fight with people complaining about people golfing. You know, on the golf course that they bought on. In most cases with him he says that it essentially is neighbors complaining about each other.
Get a life, if you are so stupid to buy a cheaper house outside the city next to a current airport.
Personally I blame the crooks and thieves who call themselves land developers, though like everything else the consumer deserves some of the blame. One of the biggest complainers we had around here I found out bought his home on the airport sight unseen. Bought it online, claimed he didn't know it was on an active airport. Lots of the times these scummy realestate people and developers are lying through their teeth to sell lots. People are left with the impression that everything is subject to change. You can move in and then pressure your neighbors. Has something to do with that wretched wal-mart customer is always right world we've developed.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Actually, we have a bylaw here in Invermere that stops trains from blowing their horns at level crossings (though I believe that was a compromise reached by having an overhead plus two automatic crossing gates). They still blow their horn and children/dogs/deer on the rails and I smile quietly every time it happens.... :)

It sounds like I need to pay a visit to YBW in the Skymaster... remind all of these NIMBYs how good they've had it since Wildlife Observation Services quit flying out of there.... :twisted:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
light chop
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by light chop »

Lois seems to be a bit of a complainer.

I'll send an email to the noise complaint email address complaining about people who choose to live next to an airport then complain about it...

I wonder if I can pull the muffler off the Mooney then make some low passes over her house...

Playground zones a puzzle
Sarah Chapman, Calgary Herald
Published: Monday, April 11, 2005
Springbank resident Lois Torfason doesn't believe the city's playground and school zones make much sense.
School zones come into effect at 8 a.m. and playground zones at 8:30 a.m.
But at elementary schools with playground zones, many children are dropped off for school early and have started monkeying around long before the playground zones come into effect.

"I see it every morning," Torfason said. "Kids are arriving long before the zone that's designed to protect them comes into effect. It's pointless."
She believes the zones designed to keep children safe would be more effective if they began at 8 a.m., the same time school zones start.
It would also make the start time easier to remember.

Intentional Straight & Level Flight Prohibited
howard40
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by howard40 »

I have been flying to calgary since 1981, Back then springbank was too far out to be useful and I could not get a ride so i went in to yyc, and parked at stauffer? heck they fixed engines and everything at yyc back then. I flew out of yyc (westjet) this year and thought i still saw some bldgs where ga used to park?. I think the developments should have to put a rider on the zoning of every new house near existing airports , or on the deed!! of the lot, so folks know when they buy. imagine closing the trans canada from 11 to 7 every day ? cause of the noise? there should be no way to close the air, unless the streets are closed too.

Return to “General Comments”