How to get from Victoria Airport to town.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

How to get from Victoria Airport to town.

Post by 1000 HP »

Hi Folks,

Aside from the taxi services, is there a bus that runs from Victoria Airport into town? Does it run late?

Also, where would be the best place to part a Mooney for a night or two? Any ideas on the fuel prices?

Thanks,
PK
---------- ADS -----------

Drinking lots of coffee lately, at a nice safe jungle desk, wishing I were flying......
Youngback
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: How to get from Victoria Airport to town.

Post by Youngback »

As for parking at the airport, for a Mooney I'd say your best bet would be the Victoria Flying Club http://www.flyvfc.com/index.php on the east side of the airport next to the control tower. Not sure of the rates but they have transient parking and 100LL available on their ramp with everything you'd need for GA. The Shell FBO is just around the corner but their overnight rates I believe are considerably more money.

For getting into town, if you can walk to the main terminal on the south side of the airport, probably a 20-30 minute (tops) walk from the flying club there is a shuttle bus that takes you directly into town for $24 one way or $20 each way if you buy a return ticket. http://www.yyjairportshuttle.com/schedule.html

For public transit, also about a 20 minute walk from the flying club you can get to the BC Transit McTavish exchange which is at the main highway/airport turnoff. If you are arriving late, bus#72 is going to be your best bet. It runs until midnight I believe. There is always the chance someone might be at the club late and would give you a ride but depending on when you get there, that chance would be remote.

Good luck

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

I always use the Google Maps transit planner - go to 'get directions', and choose bus. The bus route road outside the flying club is called Canora road. Or you could use the BCTransit schedule at: http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/schedules/map.cfm Piss-poor site though, as no linked planner, so you have to leaf through all of the schedules by yourself.
The slow part will be getting from the Club to McTavish Exchange (it might be faster to walk). Buses run every 1/2 hour from the ex. southbound into the city.

I wouldn't take a cab, as they'll hose you for ~$60

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
imac0960
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by imac0960 »

There is a bus that also comes to the terminal and will take you to Sydney. Get off at the Mactavish Park n Ride and then catch the bus to Victoria. The walk from the terminal is about 30min to Mactavish. Hope this helps.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Oh, and..Bus is $2.50 (coins only) drivers do not have change.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

All options except the cab sound good. I'm just too cheap (from remembering the old days) to spend $60 on a cab. :rolleyes:

Anybody know of a hanger space for rent? I'm moving out there August 1st.

PK

Drinking lots of coffee lately, at a nice safe jungle desk, wishing I were flying......
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Another reason to park at the Flying Club.

If you hang out at there a bit, chances are you could catch a ride with someone going into town. Offer a few bucks for gas or cup of coffee in the restaurant there and you might be surprised. Nice bunch of people there.

Of course, probably couldn't count on this on a regular basis but not sure if you're looking for something steady or a one-off.

Actually, speaking of the restaurant (Dakota Cafe), that's the third reason to park there! Try the wonton soup. (And no, I am in no way affiliated with the establishment!)

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/317/1310032 ... afe-Sidney

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
burninggoats
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by burninggoats »

The Roost and the 3rd St. Cafe in Sydney are both within walking distance, and really... Who would want to go anywhere else?

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

This number used to work to get the victoria airport shuttle to come to the flying club for pickup:
250 3862525

Wahunga!
CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

Or...park it in Vancouver and fly Harbour Air right into the middle of Victoria!

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

You misspelled "Put it on floats and park in..." CID.

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

Why would you need to put it on floats? Vancouver has runways and you can walk to Harbour Air's dock from the south terminal.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Till they close Terminal Airspace to bug smashers.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

Well folks, thanks for all the helpful hints. I do appreciate it. Unfortunately, I sold my airplane yesterday morning. It will be gone soon. It was a good bird but underused...

I may consider a share in a warbird in the future, but for now, it looks like I will have to change my avatar to "0 HP" :cry:

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Congratulations/sorry you finally sold your plane.
CID wrote:Why would you need to put it on floats? Vancouver has runways and you can walk to Harbour Air's dock from the south terminal.
So he would not have to stop in Vancouver or Sydney airport.

I guess I better explain I am kidding and know you probably can't get a set of floats for a Mooney.

Return to “General Comments”