To pee, or not to pee

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

To pee, or not to pee

Post by Troubleshot »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... -1.2649342

Man pees in bag on no-bathroom Air Canada Express flight

One man's relief triggered a woman's disgust during a recent flight from Deer Lake on the west coast of Newfoundland to Wabush, in western Labrador.

Karen Janes was flying home with her two children on April 30 following an Easter visit with relatives in Springdale, about an hour's drive from Deer Lake.

She was initially concerned when the agent at the airport announced there was no bathroom on the plane.

Others were equally surprised.

"I proceeded to get on the plane and we were only on there probably 10 minutes and I see this gentleman behind me kind of looking around and he says to me, "Is there a washroom on board? And I says, 'No, there's no washroom on board,'" Janes recalled.

What happened next left her dumbfounded.

"So a couple of moments later we started going up in the air and he tapped me on the shoulder and he said, 'Can you move your son? I need to pee.'"
Not once, but twice

With that, Janes said the man peed into a bag. Twice.

"I'm feeling really uncomfortable and disgusted," she said. "One for the fact that there's no bathroom on this plane, and two that this man is urinating behind me with my six-year-old son just ahead of me. The gentleman may very well have had a problem ... so, ya know, I don't blame the gentleman for that."

She does, however, blame the airline and operator.

The plane was a Beechcraft 1900 turbo prop operated by EVAS Air Charters for Air Canada Express. The flight was full with 19 passengers at the time, with a scheduled stop in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, and total flying time of about three hours.

A spokesperson for EVAS said a mechanical issue forced the company to use a substitute plane which had no bathroom.

"We do have a lavatory on the aircraft flying in Labrador," Florence White told CBC News in an email response. "However, we also have some aircraft which are reserved for very short routes that do not. On this particular day, due to a mechanical issue with our regular aircraft, we had to substitute an aircraft without a lav."
Passengers forewarned

White said an announcement was made at the gate before boarding, which was confirmed by Air Canada spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur.

"This was a very unfortunate experience and we will be responding directly to this customer," said Arthur, adding passengers were advised to use the bathroom before boarding.

Janes, meanwhile, said the operator should have been better prepared, insisting bathrooms are non-negotiable.

"For me, I was just very upset and shocked that there was no bathroom on this flight. There was no indication when I booked the ticket that there was no bathroom on board."

She also said other people have told her it's not the first time that flight has been lavatory-less.

Janes said she paid about $2,400 for three tickets but that will be the last time, if there's an alternative.

"We're not going to stand for these short-haul flights that have no bathrooms. We need bathrooms on this kind of public transportation. We pay good money for these flights."
---------- ADS -----------

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: To pee, or not to pee

Post by iflyforpie »

Depends.....

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

iflyforpie wrote:Depends.....
That was beautiful!

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

She just needs to send a p mail to Air Canada's "Customer Solutions" department

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Playing devils advocate, one could imagine if EVAS cancelled this flight entirely because this particular aircraft didn't have a bathroom, passengers would be "pissed" about that especially dealing with re-booking and the like. That would have made the news as well, tis my humble opinion the travelling public can bethe very worst, not the airline industry itself

Redress is simple - don't drink coffee and/or beer and piss/power dump before you depart if the airline announces there is(unfortunately) no bathroom facilities on this a/c today. It happens!!!!
:roll: :roll:

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

You could announce the plane was on fire and people would still board. Very few people listen to announcements.

Genetk44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Genetk44 »

Old fella wrote:Playing devils advocate, one could imagine if EVAS cancelled this flight entirely because this particular aircraft didn't have a bathroom, passengers would be "pissed" about that especially dealing with re-booking and the like. That would have made the news as well, tis my humble opinion the travelling public can bethe very worst, not the airline industry itself

Redress is simple - don't drink coffee and/or beer and piss/power dump before you depart if the airline announces there is(unfortunately) no bathroom facilities on this a/c today. It happens!!!!
:roll: :roll:
All well and good ......unless they only make the announcement just before boarding.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

That kind of warning needs to be well ahead of time. You don't expect the absence of facilities, so accordingly might not tune in to the preparation asap.

Holding it back too much on a ride to the airport already forces going twice in a row for those bladders that don't empty as well or quickly after sitting so long in a car; and then if late for boarding already ...

Coming home from NL to the Island Airport had-to-go just before landing (but that beer was great !), but had to wait til the plane comes to a complete stop. The stewardess doesn't see me go in and I hear her okay maintenance to disconnect the lav-contents from below; the exclamations there were pretty loud and clear, so lucky for whom-ever was below I stopped early, and no 'racing the flush' that time either.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^Good thing you didn't have variable headwinds on descent, or there would have been a real mess!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

North Shore wrote:^Good thing you didn't have variable headwinds on descent, or there would have been a real mess!
Sure. An on demand washroom open at ALL times, is required. It was probably no less on account of all the preservative salts in so many foods these days.

Facilities are complimentary, but does that also make them less mandatory ? If so, in that case maybe the "pay to go" idea can be revisited :shock: .

SheriffPatGarrett
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SheriffPatGarrett »

Speaking of pee...a funny one happened to defunct Fine Air in Guayaquil, Ecuador.
Due to lack of space in the cargo area, their DC-8-54 was parked in front of the pax terminal that one time.
Since the geniuses down there need all day or night to get their cargo ready and Frank Fine was too cheap
to rent a room for the crew, the crew accommodated themselves and strung hammocks between the gear legs
and slept there in the shade... of course, nature called sometimes and guys took whizzes against the plane tires.
(They having forgotten about the terminal)
Well, it had to happen, a guy stormed out of the terminal and stomped to them, a man with a wheel cap and a
military uniform with a chessfull of macaroni and all the imaginable bling of an Air Commodore or a Chief of
General Staff...
He told them:"Next time you animals whip your dick out in public here, you will be tossed in jail and we will throw away the key!"
See, Ecuador and Peru were at war at the time...another DC-8 of Fine Air stopped for fuel in Lima and custom found
military freight on board destined for Quito...The crew spent six months in jail, got beaten up to rat shit
and even the co-pilot(from Montreal, an ex Air Canada cabin crew) was hung by the heels from the tenth story
to give him a fright! Poor Fine Air just could not win down there!

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

If a 1900 has the lav, do they even have room for 19 seats?

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

No, the 19th seat is the "middle with the hump" concept... Its in the middle in the last row. It would block the entrance for the lav

SheriffPatGarrett
Rank 4
Rank 4

What's their problem?...all long range freighters have a porta-potty,
from $40 to a $100 at Canadian Tire...
What if someone have explosive diarrhea?
Ha! I know someone, at 3-9-oh who turned back to look
at his job(he was German, who else do dat?)
but had forgotten to first release pressure by opening the valve,
so when he did open the valve to dump the content in the lower container,
it all blew up in his face...man, we still had ten hours to go with the smell...
ScreenHunter_243 May. 22 11.32.jpg
ScreenHunter_243 May. 22 11.32.jpg (57.13 KiB) Viewed 2252 times

Last edited by SheriffPatGarrett on Thu May 22, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

First world problems. I could understand a long haul flight but seriously this? :lol:

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I spend up to six hours at a time in a plane without a bathroom....

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
SheriffPatGarrett
Rank 4
Rank 4

Operating in third world countries, we used to have a honeybucket in the 215 tail.

Then one day it was gone, I had to land in a bay to let the co-joe piss...
WTF we asked maintenance!!! Oh, they said, orders from marketing,
they are trying to sell $25,000 crappers to the customers.

So, what happened?(I dont drink much), but the co-pilots drank fizz water,
pissed in the empty bottles, then stored the piss in between bulkheads.
Slamming the swells as you scoop, you understand the bottles flew away
spraying Italian piss all over the airplane!
Maintenance had to clean the mess so you can be sure it did not take
long for the honey bucket to return to the tail of the scooper!

SheriffPatGarrett
Rank 4
Rank 4

Third world country is a relative term, we had a Mercedes limousine bringing us to lunch in fancy restaurants
while in Ontario we had to ride in back of pickup trucks to MacDonald's greasy spoons...

amclean
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by amclean »

PositiveRate27 wrote:No, the 19th seat is the "middle with the hump" concept... Its in the middle in the last row. It would block the entrance for the lav
The flight was full with 19 passengers at the time, with a scheduled stop in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, and total flying time of about three hours.
So in other words, they were never planning on having a lav on the flight, if they booked 19 pax. That being said, doesn't everybody in their right mind try to avoid using the lav like the plague (on small aircraft especially)?

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

I remember once, many years ago, on a 747 flight Tel-Aviv to Montreal. The fully loaded planed took almost two hours to reach cruise altitude. Until then, no lav. Then the seat belt light went off. There was almost a riot, as so many passengers rushed to relieve themselves. I am sure some wet their pants, waiting in line... :shock: :oops:

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.

Return to “General Comments”