Question for CPs

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nohojob »

Pushyboss:

I don't know about your operation but, what I noticed with a typical King Air operator with around 10 to 15 aircrafts, almost the crews with around 2 to 3000 hours range between 25 to 30 years old.
It means that those companies are hiring mostly at this age with this experience...too bad for the older candidate who is flying as a second career!

Actually the cp or ops manager of those companies are usually around 40...
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

" Sad to see your level of selfishness Cat. "

Hmmm... what does commenting that paperwork has very little to do with safety have to do with being selfish Indian Joe? You may not agree but the ever increasing paperwork requirements are one of the most useless activities that the industry has to bear.

Anyhow I am not in the infantry so I guess I don't need to worry to much about what I would be considered there.. :mrgreen:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Indian Joe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Indian Joe »

You didn't have to say you aren't in the infantry Cat, it was obvious. 8)

If you're not near the one you love, love the one you're near.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Hey Indian Joe, I've had a lot of discussions here on Avcanada but this is the first time I have had to consider the implications of comparing aviation to the infantry. :mrgreen:

As the requriement for more and more paper work increases the logical result will be people will find more creative ways to produce the paper work resulting in less energy being directed toward the initial task...to maintain and fly the aircraft safely.

Probably the very best example of creative paper work is the aircraft jorney logs in Canada, now there is creatitivity in its purest form, especially in the float plane operations. :mrgreen:

Two more comments.

(1) Watch your back in your new Chief Pilots position regarding the paper work and what you and your pilots actually do. The pilots are your one and only real concern, look after them, protect them and moniter their activities closely. When you find a renegade or a careless pilot in your employ, get rid of them fast, you owe that to the remainder and to the safety of the operation.

The bottom line is if the pilots are top notch and safety consious the customers will be safe and happy.

(2) As Chief Pilot your best friend will be the person in the regulator that you deal with directly, make sure you both have a good relationship, then when you need help it will be easier to get same. There are still a lot of good inspectors working for TC, if you are uncomfortable with your present inspector be very careful how you interface said inspector. Never , never, never go head on with one because you will lose real fast.
If the position of Chief Pilot becomes uncomfortable or you feel that you can not deal with the issues that may arise from time to time in the way that you feel you need to just resign the position rather than get deep in trouble.

All during my career which included several Chief Pilot positions those two rules always worked for me....

Remember your responsibility is to your pilots first.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

Cat Driver wrote:
(1) Watch your back in your new Chief Pilots position regarding the paper work and what you and your pilots actually do. The pilots are your one and only real concern, look after them, protect them and moniter their activities closely. When you find a renegade or a careless pilot in your employ, get rid of them fast, you owe that to the remainder and to the safety of the operation.

The bottom line is if the pilots are top notch and safety consious the customers will be safe and happy.

(2) As Chief Pilot your best friend will be the person in the regulator that you deal with directly, make sure you both have a good relationship, then when you need help it will be easier to get same. There are still a lot of good inspectors working for TC, if you are uncomfortable with your present inspector be very careful how you interface said inspector. Never , never, never go head on with one because you will lose real fast.
If the position of Chief Pilot becomes uncomfortable or you feel that you can not deal with the issues that may arise from time to time in the way that you feel you need to just resign the position rather than get deep in trouble.

All during my career which included several Chief Pilot positions those two rules always worked for me....

Remember your responsibility is to your pilots first.

Cat

Thanks for that CD. This is the kind of thing I would like to see as a sticky in a 'experienced pilots advice to lower timers' forum. I know we have been discussing that kind of thing since Duke was gracing us with his wisdom; I think it's time to take advantage of the high time guys' experience that they might be willing to share.
Mods?

springjob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by springjob »

More thoughts?

Canuck
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canuck »

Apparently from a human resource point of view, they are not to discriminate against age when hiring. Naturally Im sure it would be something that could be taken into consideration for a particular job so why not include it on your resume. Imho

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

You guys are scaring me... Why are the two examples you keep using "a 25 year old versus a 40 year old"? 40 isn't OLD!!! (pleading tone)

I guess the age of the chief pilot has something to do with the answer to this question; I've tried to hire guys between 30 and 40 because I don't want to hang around with any "old guys"!!

I'm NOT OLD!! I'm NOT!! (stamping feet)

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “General Comments”