Air Georgian CRJ entry Captain

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Sdcfi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Georgian CRJ entry Captain

Post by Sdcfi »

Hey Guys,

I have an interview coming up for an Entry Captain on the CRJ. Anyone have an idea of what to expect? It's been a while for me since I've been to an interview. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Air Georgian CRJ entry Captain

Post by av8ts »

Hang on a minute while i get some popcorn................ Ok go ahead

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Typical questions may include: do you have any dignity? do you still live in your parents' basement? If you do, do you enjoy name-brand Kraft Dinner-you can afford that with this job! Can you panhandle in your spare time to help out your FOs who will become professional beggars to supplement their incomes? How does it make you feel to have half the salary of the last guy to sit in this same seat, and less than you could be making flying a King Air?

Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

It pays $70,000 a year based on an 85 hour block. I understand you will also have to do taxi offs to the north end. In an RJ.

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

Have fun hand bombing them, no autopilots, limited to 280. I wouldn't want to be on a plane that just came back to life after 15 years.

Your life will suck, you will be miserable, but hey a shiney new jet!!! Just without the shiney part, new, or pay. Yay.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

NotDirty! wrote:Typical questions may include: do you have any dignity?
Rhetorical question. If you say yes they know you'll PFO them!

Honestly though while some people have worked shitty jobs to make it to Team Red or Teal lets be real here. This IS the cancer in our industry. If you and many other highly qualified guys go there what makes you think things will change for the better. Make them pay you more, don't take the job just to get the hours. Guys who take this job for the "lifestyle" and I can see a few very odd cases (new baby at home in Toronto, currently commuting to butt f*ck nowhere... being one) I can understand as long as they have exhausted all other options but if you're trying to get ahead and get RJ time do it elsewhere. Go have fun move up north fly for fun! Then make the airline move!

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

I've never understood the big deal people
make about flying jets. They're just another
airplane.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

It's not even a jet. It's a glider with three APUs.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Hypothetical:

Two choices - maybe even at the same
company. All else is the same:

1) $50k to fly a bizjet
2) $100k to fly a KingAir

I know which one I'd take.

gasper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gasper »

I know almost nothing of either Air Georgian or an RJ, but I knew of a time when a serious question would never illicit responses like this. Shame on you.

...PEACE through superior firepower!
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

If I knew nothing of slavery, I probably wouldn't say anything bad about it either...

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Colonel Sanders wrote:Hypothetical:

1) $50k to fly a bizjet

You'd have the lasagna?

zulutime
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by zulutime »

NotDirty! wrote:Typical questions may include: do you have any dignity? do you still live in your parents' basement? If you do, do you enjoy name-brand Kraft Dinner-you can afford that with this job! Can you panhandle in your spare time to help out your FOs who will become professional beggars to supplement their incomes? How does it make you feel to have half the salary of the last guy to sit in this same seat, and less than you could be making flying a King Air?

SDCFI asks an honest question and he/she gets a response like this! If you have nothing of substance to say, (and clearly you don't based on what you've posted here), then just sit back and let someone with something meaningfull to add to the conversation chime in.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

zulutime wrote:
NotDirty! wrote:Typical questions may include: do you have any dignity? do you still live in your parents' basement? If you do, do you enjoy name-brand Kraft Dinner-you can afford that with this job! Can you panhandle in your spare time to help out your FOs who will become professional beggars to supplement their incomes? How does it make you feel to have half the salary of the last guy to sit in this same seat, and less than you could be making flying a King Air?

SDCFI asks an honest question and he/she gets a response like this! If you have nothing of substance to say, (and clearly you don't based on what you've posted here), then just sit back and let someone with something meaningfull to add to the conversation chime in.
And how does your complaining about me adds something meaningful? I've obviously hit a sore spot, so maybe you have some meaningful additions to make...
On the other hand, I might consider my mockery of GGN's WAWCON to be meaningful, since if everybody else laughs as much as I do at the idea of trying to attract "experienced" talent by offering $70 K to skipper a CRJ with 50 pax, then maybe they'll realize that they have to improve the offer. Same way I laughed at them when they offered $60K for a "Senior DEC" on the 1900D.
It is the people who accept these wages that have brought down the standards across the board. Unfortunately, if you look south of the border, you will see that it can still get worse.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

What is a good salary for flying left seat CJR?
Overall conditions also matter with the salary...

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

zulutime wrote:

I'd say his post was pretty meaningful, discussing the sad state of affairs of a pilot being faced with the decision of working for GGN, whereas yours was the usual bleeding heart stuff you post with abandon here.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Colonel Sanders wrote:Hypothetical:

1) $50k to fly a bizjet

Is that all you look at when you take a job? What if the King Air job tops out at $100k, while the bizjet job goes up to $300k over three or four years? You would sure make a lot more in the long run on the jet. What if the King Air flies to Fort McAss six days a week, so you only get your legally-mandated 36 hours free from duty, and you spend your layover waiting in a crappy little airport building with no internet or TV? Meanwhile, the jet does one trip a week to Arizona, Florida, the Bahamas, etc, and you get to stay in a nice hotel with a great restaurant and free golf, followed by three or four days off. Does either job provide an RRSP? What kind of health and dental coverage do you get? Is your boss a pleasant person, or a total nightmare? How good is maintenance? Nothing is as black and white as you might like to think.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

What part of "all else is the same" did you
not comprehend? I kept it monosyllabic,
yet you still managed to misunderstand it.

There is more to life than just paying big
taxes.

An airplane is an airplane. You will understand
that when you get older.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Colonel Sanders wrote:What part of "all else is the same" did you
not comprehend? I kept it monosyllabic,
yet you still managed to misunderstand it.

There is more to life than just paying big
taxes.

An airplane is an airplane. You will understand
that when you get older.
You're right, I didn't read it closely enough. Regardless, I was merely pointing out that the situation might be more complex for some people. I would never apply for the GGN position, but I took a pay cut for the first few months when I was at my current job; I'm now making much more than I was before, with a better lifestyle, and a better position for the future of my career, because I was willing to look at the complexities and nuances of my situation. I didn't actually disagree with you, so the fact that you resorted immediately to insults because I didn't completely fall in line behind you demonstrates which of us is of a greater age with regards to maturity...

Jack In The Box
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jack In The Box »

Expect to be asked: "well we want to hire you..how about RJ FO?" :mrgreen:

Return to “General Comments”