Eradicate volunteer flying for profit organizations

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Eradicate volunteer flying for profit organizations

Post by timel »

I invite pilots who work for 705 companies and all the 703-704 pilots that respect themselves, to write to their labours or pilot committees and ask that, if the company has knowledge of pilots who volunteered to build hours, than they cannot be hired. And this should be added as a pilot vs company agreements.

Pilots who accept to volunteer in a king air or others are not welcomed in the industry.

By cutting on your own salary, you allow your company to operate with lower cost that are not fair to well respected operators. This is dirty. And if you are aware of companies that support volunteer practices, I would love to have their names in PM so that I can inform my colleagues and CP to ban those pilots from hiring.

- Title edit : thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by timel on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Eradicate volunteer flying

Post by Colonel Sanders »

You need a union.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I think you should re word it.

Eradicate volunteer flying for for-profit organizations. Air Cadets, CASARA, Hope Air, etc.... require volunteer pilots.

But nobody should be flying for free, paying to fly (other than for ab initio or blanket training: ie not type or company specific), or flying for poverty wages to help someone else get rich.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Why is it ok to pay for your instrument and multi-engine ratings but not for a type rating?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Aviatard wrote:Why is it ok to pay for your instrument and multi-engine ratings but not for a type rating?
Is that actually a serious question?

Paying for your PPL, CPL, etc, is fine because you are getting the training necessary to find gainful employment. Once you have found said gainful employment, the employer must be the one paying for any company specific training.

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Eradicate volunteer flying for profit organizations

Post by Liquid Charlie »

ahhhhh -- Carl's legacy -- alive and well for so many years ---

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

7ECA wrote:
Aviatard wrote:Why is it ok to pay for your instrument and multi-engine ratings but not for a type rating?

Paying for your PPL, CPL, etc, is fine because you are getting the training necessary to find gainful employment. Once you have found said gainful employment, the employer must be the one paying for any company specific training.
Type-ratings are company-specific, now?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

7ECA wrote:

A B737 rating isn't company specific though.

Edit: Oh nevermind, Photofly beat me to it.

Just seems a weird place to draw the virtiol line.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

photofly wrote: Type-ratings are company-specific, now?
You are reading into my comment a bit too much.

No they are not, but if you are hired by a company, that company should be paying for your type rating. Do you agree?

No one should be forced to pay for a type rating on any aircraft. And I certainly can't stand hearing about pilots going out and purchasing a type rating, to get ahead while applying for a job at company X, Y, or Z.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

I have an instrument rating. It's current too. My buddy does not. So he can suckit when I'm applying for jobs.

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Why is it ok to pay for your instrument and multi-engine ratings but not for a type rating?
--

by all means pay for your type rating which many people do world wide at places like boeing -- or other recognized simulator training facilities -- or even for a king air or other prop aircraft -- fork over the money up front and pay for it and then get hired for pay but don't prostitute yourself by working for nothing and trading your labour to line an operator's pockets -- besides it likely means you get substandard training anyway -- Training bonds should be redefined to be called "employment contracts" with protection written in to protect both parties -- we as pilots created the "training bond" world -- it's not going away -- the trick will be to stop the one way direction in favour of the guy signing the cheques -----

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Is this really happening that much? I thought it was pretty much limited to certain sky-dive operations...

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

sstaurus wrote:Is this really happening that much? I thought it was pretty much limited to certain sky-dive operations...
Seems like it does happen, I know two cases personally, it is less than before because there are no more pilots, so it is easier to wait and find a job eventually.
Some it is partial paid work, like they pay you to fly a 310 but not right seat in a be10.
A few pilots pay for the training, after with what they get paid... They end up making 0 or peanuts.

Most the time those peoples who work for free will not show up with a red flag.
I also saw stories and allegations on the forum.

Return to “General Comments”