Latest Engine Overhaul costs

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Latest Engine Overhaul costs

Post by CpnCrunch »

Gliderrider wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:47 pm As a followup. I purchased a 1967 Cessna 150G which had a Continental 0-200-A with 1000hrs since MOH and had metal in the oil. As part of the price of the aircraft the engine had been stripped down and the bottom end substantially overhauled (The cause of the metal was the starter clutch being engaged while the engine was running.) Cylinders and valves were in good shape, valves were reground and new rings.

Unfortunately the advice in this post was not followed. The "engine room" was not attended to except that one Mag was overhauled and the other serviced. Now I am finding snag after snag, alternator glitches, oil temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, wiring coming loose etc.
How much did this shoddy overhaul cost you? Was it a reputable shop or a guy in a shed?
---------- ADS -----------

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

How much did this shoddy overhaul cost you? Was it a reputable shop or a guy in a shed?
I don't think he meant he was having issues with the overhaul....more that he didn't do the hoses, wiring, accessories, mounts, etc...everything under the cowls.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Regular use and consistent maintenance is key. For this reason a high time flight school airplane can be good value, especially for the bullet proof Lycoming O-30/360 series. If it was a choice of a 4 years since overhaul flight school 2000 hr engine or a 15 years since overhaul with 400 hrs private use only engine, I would take the 2000 hr engine virtually every time.

The reality for a C 150 or older Continental powered C 172's s aircraft is there is no way to recapture virtually any major engine maintenance when you sell the airplane. A engine overhaul basically only makes sense if you are sure it is your last airplane, otherwise buy the top of the market where somebody else has already spent the big bucks for a recent good overhaul.

There is no way a "fixer upper" makes any financial sense at this level of the market.

My personal runabout is a 1974 Grumman AA1B. It still has the original engine with 2500 hrs and 4 new cylinders 12 years ago at 1600 hrs. The airplane gets flown at least every 2 weeks for at least 30 minutes and is running great. But If the engine dies I will part out the airplane as it makes no sense to overhaul and the O-235C2C engine is not very common so finding a decent part run engine at a reasonable price is unlikely. However I have had 20 years of mostly trouble free flying so the airplane does not owe me anything.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

boeingboy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:52 pm
I don't think he meant he was having issues with the overhaul....more that he didn't do the hoses, wiring, accessories, mounts, etc...everything under the cowls.
Yes, you're right. It's unclear if this was even a major overhaul.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

What sort of cost would an overhaul run on an 0-320 with new cylinders? Big price difference or no?

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

0320 $28000. complete with warranty + 2k for install. that was pricing from last fall the can$ has dropped another 10percent since so adjustment may be required. n I'm looking for good aircraft owner partnership. look on the ad in aircraft for sale forum

Return to “General Comments”