Tu-95 exercises Sept 8,2014

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Tu-95 exercises Sept 8,2014

Post by Pop n Fresh »

What do you guys think. no big deal or is it an escalation?

http://freebeacon.com/national-security ... kes-on-us/

Time to ramp up production on the Diemert Defender?
---------- ADS -----------

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Tu-95 exercises Sept 8,2014

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

First, I would like to excuse myself in advance to those who will feel offended that a simple civilian like myself with no military background or experience, decides to comment on this delicate subject on which I am very ignorant compared to them.

With that out of the way:

The Russians can wipe out any target in the US with silo-based ballistic missiles in Russia, or with submarine-based ballistic missiles, which can be very close to the US, with s simple push of a button. But when they practice for that, no one knows about it since the missile is not launched, although they could........

With that in mind, I think that the main goal of the Tu-95 exercises is precisely for them to be seen........especially when they fly over 20,000 feet.

Of course, if the TU-95 or TU-160 do the same thing at deck level with Air to Air refueling, and avoid detection, the cruise missile will also go undetected until it hits its target, which is not the case of the ballistic missile which will give the US a few minutes head up, for the launch will be detected.

Ok. Now shoot me.

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

I'm interested in every opinion. I know there is a high risk of argument, hopefully it will lean toward discussion instead.

I believe we are under prepared but I am aware we likely are not in need of better defense capability. Then again if we ever need it. Bummer?

Of course there is not much anyone can do about nuclear attack.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

"Gen. Yuri Yakubov, a senior Defense Ministry official, was quoted by the state-run Interfax news agency as saying that Russia’s 2010 military doctrine should be revised to identify the United States and the NATO alliance as enemies, and clearly outline the conditions for a preemptive nuclear strike against them.

Yakubov said among other needed doctrinal changes, “it is necessary to hash out the conditions under which Russia could carry out a preemptive strike with the Russian Strategic Rocket Forces”—Moscow’s nuclear forces."

This statement - which was not just some random General shooting his lip off - along with the highly visible strategic bomber flights are a clearly stated message from Putin that the cold war is now on again. Russia has for some years been reconstituting its submarine force and in 2009 two attack subs were detected off the US east coast, something that hadn't happened in the 15 years before that. They also had planned to have missile boats on constant deployment by last year. It is an escalation alright, but one that has been ongoing ever since Putin came to power.

It is truly strange that in today's global economy he would want to isolate Russia again. Weapons do not feed people or make a sound economic foundation.

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by xchox »

We send navy ships and CF-18s over there... Who's to say they can't do the same?

Also... We went into the Middle East... How can we judge them for going into a country on their border which used to be theres?

I say we are in the midst of Cold War 2. A lot of fear... A few minor skirmishes... Nothing serious.

IMO

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:First, I would like to excuse myself in advance to those who will feel offended that a simple civilian like myself with no military background or experience, decides to comment on this delicate subject on which I am very ignorant compared to them.

With that out of the way:

The Russians can wipe out any target in the US with silo-based ballistic missiles in Russia, or with submarine-based ballistic missiles, which can be very close to the US, with s simple push of a button. But when they practice for that, no one knows about it since the missile is not launched, although they could........

With that in mind, I think that the main goal of the Tu-95 exercises is precisely for them to be seen........especially when they fly over 20,000 feet.

Of course, if the TU-95 or TU-160 do the same thing at deck level with Air to Air refueling, and avoid detection, the cruise missile will also go undetected until it hits its target, which is not the case of the ballistic missile which will give the US a few minutes head up, for the launch will be detected.

Ok. Now shoot me.
Naw, not really interested in shooting you on a 1950's topic. Yanks and Ruskies are not gonna get into a shooting match - both of'em know that especially on that bit of real-estate on the Black sea, just not on. Both of these entities are like tom cats in the same room, flexing their biceps suggesting(to each other) my"johnson" is bigger that yours..

Been happening this past 60+ years is some form or another - now back to my nap!!

:drinkers: :partyman:

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Old fella wrote:Yanks and Ruskies are not gonna get into a shooting match
They don't have to and Putin knows it. The cold war ended in the late 80's and the US won without firing a shot. Not because they had more or better weapons, but because the USSR was flat out broke. They were spent into defeat.

But now the shoe may be on the other foot. The United States has continued to spend vast amounts of money on their military and their debt as of 5 minutes ago was $17,730,581,670 - almost 18 TRILLION dollars and rising $400,000 every minute. It could be Putin smells blood.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Rockie wrote: Russia has for some years been reconstituting its submarine force and in 2009 two attack subs were detected off the US east coast, something that hadn't happened in the 15 years before that. They also had planned to have missile boats on constant deployment by last year. It is an escalation alright, but one that has been ongoing ever since Putin came to power.

It is truly strange that in today's global economy he would want to isolate Russia again. Weapons do not feed people or make a sound economic foundation.
http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/201 ... pense.html

http://nns.huntingtoningalls.com/produc ... iers/ford/

Need I comment ?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

No one should be particularly surprised by what Putin is doing, because he spelled out his entire platform when he was made Prime Minister, back on August 16, 1999.

Of course, the Western World decided to ignore him, because he was the fifth PM in 16 months...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26769481

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

Much to do about nothing. This type of activity has been carried out by both sides for decades and will continue to do so.

Incidentally, as long as the 'Annointed One' is the President of the United States, Putin has nothing to worry about. Putin owns him.

Cheers...Chris

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Have they been fitted with the new Russian stealth supersonic cruise missiles yet ?

Just as the Navies of the world gulped when the Soviets showed the 300 kmh UNDERWATER torpedoes.The latest Russian cruise missile ( if they work as advertised) would give them a first strike capability. If Nato puts anymore cruise missiles into Europe expect to see New missiles in Cuba on your next vacation.

The beauty of Nuclear war is it is almost impossible to get an advantage.
To understand advantage, please read Miyamoto Musashi's book of five rings ,the Prince by Machiavelli (Stalin's favorite book ) ,or the Art of War (you might be disappointed by this one as there are very few pictures in it and no sculptures). Advantage is covered quite well in all three books. Or to really understand the nature of the beast read an older book.

Isaiah 6:8

Last edited by 2R on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Moose47 wrote:Much to do about nothing.
You won't convince any NATO leaders of that.

In Obama's place what would you do differently to keep Putin in check?

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:
Rockie wrote: Russia has for some years been reconstituting its submarine force and in 2009 two attack subs were detected off the US east coast, something that hadn't happened in the 15 years before that. They also had planned to have missile boats on constant deployment by last year. It is an escalation alright, but one that has been ongoing ever since Putin came to power.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/201 ... pense.html

http://nns.huntingtoningalls.com/produc ... iers/ford/

Need I comment ?
The Russians have taken a page out of the American's Regan Era play book. Their intention, (as I believe Rockie pointed out earlier), is to coax the US into a massive spending spree. This is exactly what the Americans did to the Russians with the SDI. The Russians fell for that bait, and that certainly played a big part in their collapse, (however, one would do well to remember that the inherent flaws of communism also played a major part in the Soviet downfall).
The world finds itself at a curious juncture right now. The tables have almost completely turned from 25 years ago. In the early 90's the Soviets had an economy that had been drained by years of war, (Afg), a population that was disillusioned by the wealth gap and had an expensive arms race forced on it by an economically superior enemy. They also had weak leadership.
Today the American's are in economic disarray after a decade of war, have a large portion of their population that is disillusioned by the wealth gap and
are faced with the need for heavy defense spending to deal with perceived threats, (Russian adventurism, ISIS; I wouldn't be surprised to find a link between those two.). The American's also lack decent leadership, (Obama is a lawyer, not a leader. W was neither a leader nor a lawyer).

With regard to Gilles' articles: More stuff written by yet another person who insists on driving well outside their lane.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

2R, did you mean just 6:8? I don't understand how it's in context.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

The Isaiah quote is taken from the memoirs of one of the cold war warriors .Billy Waugh he was awarded seven purple hearts during his 50 year career hunting America's enemies.
Weapons are no match for fighting spirit.
Getting ready for the fight is something people have done before and since Isaiah.
Getting the advantage requires "extreme prejudice" and reading Isaiah in the historical context of the preparation for the fight. Mental physical and spiritual preparation.

As Cassius Clay said "Most fight's are won outside the ring ,by preparation"

Putin is a Judo guy and if he uses Judo expect a very strong counter attack. Judo uses an opponents energy against the opponent. Many Judo throws are FATAL when used on a hard street. It is a mistake to think that the soft way of martial arts is soft. It is not a soft in combat.

As the old field book says " if your attack is going to well it is probably an ambush " :)

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Moose47 wrote:
Incidentally, as long as the 'Annointed One' is the President of the United States, Putin has nothing to worry about. Putin owns him.

Cheers...Chris
You mean the guy who got OBL?

Oh..... but successes are a team effort. Things like runaway spending and lack of policy making (both primarily controlled by Congress) are put solely on his head. :rolleyes:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

iflyforpie wrote: You mean the guy who defosted OBL's body at a politically advantageous time?
Fixed that for you. :mrgreen:
iflyforpie wrote: Oh..... but successes are a team effort. Things like runaway spending and lack of policy making (both primarily controlled by Congress) are put solely on his head. :rolleyes:
The fact that somebody is a twit doesn't make his opponents geniuses.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

B208 wrote:
iflyforpie wrote: You mean the guy who defosted OBL's body at a politically advantageous time?
Fixed that for you. :mrgreen:

Oh come on. Not even 'our President is a Marxist Kenyan Muslim' Fox News pursued that theory for more than a week..... :rolleyes:
The fact that somebody is a twit doesn't make his opponents geniuses.
I don't understand how Obama can be considered any more of a twit than any other US President since Eisenhower.

If Mittens had got in... the US would probably be up to its armpits in Iran by now.... with Putin being even more bold against a thoroughly cash-strapped and militarily spent United States.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
frosti
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by frosti »

xchox wrote:We send navy ships and CF-18s over there... Who's to say they can't do the same?
We should stay out of this mess, it's none of our business. Our pathetic fast air capability and contribution won't mean squat if a shooting war starts. Russia has a fierce A/A defence system that our relic jets can't combat. We should concentrate on defending our own border until we have a modern fighter jet force.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

iflyforpie wrote:Oh come on. Not even 'our President is a Marxist Kenyan Muslim' Fox News pursued that theory for more than a week.....
It took a week for the IRS to come up with something on the CEO of Fox. :smt040 (Just so we're clear; I am just messing with iflyforpie)
I don't understand how Obama can be considered any more of a twit than any other US President since Eisenhower.
He's the most dangerous kind of twit out there; the kind of twit that thinks he's a genius and can convince others that he's a genius. In many respects he is like Trudeau senior.

Please don't construe the above as an endorsement of the IQ of any recent POTUS.

W....was a twit; but deep down in his soul of souls he knew he was a twit, and he left the running of the country to others, (who, incidentally were also twits).

Clinton......not a complete twit but never really faced much of a challenge. However, he was greasy, very greasy.

Bush the Elder.....pretty sharp guy (you don't get to run the CIA during the cold war if you're dim). Also, he was a Navy Pilot during WWII, (there you go Mods.....aviation content). I liked him.

Reagan......likely thought he was playing the President in a film. Just like W, Reagan knew he wasn't all that bright, and left the running of the country to those around him, (Who, for the most part, were not twits).

Carter.......Carter was Carter.........................

Return to “General Comments”