Chance of getting hired with a tattoo?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Chance of getting hired with a tattoo?

Post by Meatservo »

Can't tell you that, Blue. There's only one other pilot here, and she's my copilot, and we already both told each other we didn't go on AvCanada. I'm sure she was lying, so I'm not owning up to nothin'.

I've been told however, that I sound like Doug MacKenzie, with better grammar. :|
---------- ADS -----------

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Johnnyvalrosa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Johnnyvalrosa »

I know a ton of guys who have tattoos, full sleeves, half sleeves, full back, fore arms etc, all whom work for major airlines......AC, WJ, Cathay, Qatar, Jet Airways, etc.I can come up with almost 10 people off the top of my head right now. This being said, I know that Emirates turned down a guy I know, who had full sleeves (a captain for a major airline in the Middle East). I know that one of my friends has to wear long sleeves. So, you can definitely make a career in the airlines, but it could affect the amount of opportunity.

182-SS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 182-SS »

Johnnyvalrosa wrote:I know a ton of guys who have tattoos, full sleeves, half sleeves, full back, fore arms etc, all whom work for major airlines......AC, WJ, Cathay, Qatar, Jet Airways, etc.I can come up with almost 10 people off the top of my head right now. This being said, I know that Emirates turned down a guy I know, who had full sleeves (a captain for a major airline in the Middle East). I know that one of my friends has to wear long sleeves. So, you can definitely make a career in the airlines, but it could affect the amount of opportunity.
Johnny, how many of these people that you know from all over the world are pilots? You said they work for major airlines, not fly for them except the one going for captain (who didn't get the job).
I know a few who work for airlines that have full sleeves.....but they work for the airline, they are not the public face working at the check in desk or the pilots. But all Tattoo's you have stated can be covered up by regular long sleeve pilot shirts.

Interesting to see who is lurking in the depths of AVCANADA, bit of a reminder that TC is probably monitoring these forums constantly and knows who you are, no more posts of external loads, boys and girls! The last one asking people to post was probably TC!

On the same note, has anyone talked to the Colonel lately and convinced him to come back? Maybe he's already here and just lurking. I'd like to hear his thoughts on Tattoo's

Johnnyvalrosa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Johnnyvalrosa »

I would not have mentioned these people if they were not pilots. I am not here guaranteeing that you will not get turned down because of tattoos, but it is still possible to have a career in aviation, that is all I am saying. I would certainly not choose, by any means, to go out and get covered (they are just not my thing), but the pilots I know who do have tattoos, most of whom are regretful about their decisions, have done very well for themselves. Out of the three pilots I know who have full arm sleeve tattoos, two are required to wear long sleeves (which not all airlines will allow) at all times. They also have tens of thousands of hours of experience, which probably doesn't hurt. I am just answering the question by saying that there is still a chance of of getting hired with a tattoo, as I have witnessed proof, although it will be reduced......and most likely, significantly so. I wouldn't say give up on your dreams because you have a tattoo, but definitely prepare yourself for a tough road ahead.

Last edited by Johnnyvalrosa on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

182-SS wrote: Interesting to see who is lurking in the depths of AVCANADA, bit of a reminder that TC is probably monitoring these forums constantly and knows who you are, no more posts of external loads, boys and girls! The last one asking people to post was probably TC!
A touch paranoid perhaps? I highly doubt that TC can afford to pay someone to monitor this forum and try and figure out who we all are...( or can be bothered....)

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
oldyellr
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by oldyellr »

Johnnyvalrosa wrote:I would not have mentioned these people if they were not pilots. I am not here guaranteeing that you will not get turned down because of tattoos, but it is still possible to have a career in aviation, that is all I am saying. I would certainly not chose, by any means, to go out and get covered (they are just not my thing), but the pilots I know who do have tattoos, most of whom are regretful about their decisions, have done very well for themselves. Out of the three pilots I know who have full arm sleeve tattoos, two are required to wear long sleeves (which not all airlines will allow) at all times. They also have tens of thousands of hours of experience, which probably doesn't hurt. I am just answering the question by saying that there is still a chance of of getting hired with a tattoo, as I have witnessed proof, although it will be reduced......and most likely, significantly so. I wouldn't say give up on your dreams because you have a tattoo, but definitely prepare yourself for a tough road ahead
So it's all about choices. What's more important to you, having a dream career as an airline pilot, or body graffiti. Of course, if you got tattooed when you were young and foolish, or drunk, you may just want to cover up if you can't afford, or don't want to, remove them.

Frankly, there seems to be more stigma attached to tattoos nowadays than there was 50 years ago. Back then most people got them when they were drunk in the navy or something. Now everybody is getting them for trivial reasons because it's fashionable. That has also created a lot of opposition to them from people who don't have them or like them. While people with tattoos aren't offended by those without them, the opposite isn't always true. So I can see why an airline may not want someone representing them who may offend some customers.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

As long as he wears a well fitted long sleeved shirt, doesn't open his mouth and isn't recognized at the interview, it would appear that Bieber still has a shot at a professional pilot career. Failing that, he could probably wear any style of orange jumpsuit without discrimination.

182-SS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 182-SS »

North Shore wrote:
182-SS wrote: Interesting to see who is lurking in the depths of AVCANADA, bit of a reminder that TC is probably monitoring these forums constantly and knows who you are, no more posts of external loads, boys and girls! The last one asking people to post was probably TC!
A touch paranoid perhaps? I highly doubt that TC can afford to pay someone to monitor this forum and try and figure out who we all are...( or can be bothered....)

Oh North shore, Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you lol :)
But in all seriousness, you know damn well that people that work for TC lurk on here. Calling some one paranoid or a conspiracy theorist doesn't mean they are wrong, its the oldest trick in the book, discredit the person by attacking their character, it doesn't matter if they tell the truth if you make them look bad, crazy or otherwise. Christ remember back 5 or so years ago when they denied that drones even existed!
In The age of information Ignorance is a choice.

I'm not saying TC employees are paid lurk on here (although you never know), I'm saying they are on here, and probably enjoy it. Not everyone at TC is bad you know, some may even be pilots eh, they may even want to join in discussions. Every time I've dealt with TC they have actually been very friendly, even on ramp checks, there was even one time I didn't have my new insurance papers and he allowed me to email them to him the next day when I got back to the office.

My comment was really regarding how long the poster had been on the site and how few posts they had.
Reporters lurk on here too when there are news story's. I just brought the TC thing in as a joking reference for the external load threads, but you know all of this, you read my previous post. perhaps you are TC!!!!!!! lol JK or am I?? I'm just paranoid lol hahahahaha. :D :lol:

Attachments
295549_564113370273917_1126843000_n.jpg
295549_564113370273917_1126843000_n.jpg (55.99 KiB) Viewed 789 times

Return to “General Comments”