PC 12 De-Ice Equipment

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

nwopilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

PC 12 De-Ice Equipment

Post by nwopilot »

Hello all,

I have never flown an aircraft with boots before, and I do not have much knowledge regarding aircraft de-icing equipment, so please pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject.

I have always wondered why the PC-12 does not have a de-icing boot on its vertical stab. Most aircraft I seen have one on both stabs. Is the PC-12 not susceptible to icing on its vertical stab? Does it have to do with its fin design? I have always been curious.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: PC 12 De-Ice Equipment

Post by Bede »

The manufacturer has decided that it is not required for safe flight. Keep in mind there is a difference between taking off with ice and continuing flight with ice.

The 737 only has deice on on the wing from the engine to about 1/2 way to the tip. There is no deice at the tip, root or tail.

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

The Cessna 550 had a vertical stab boot. The 560 didn't because the engineers realized that ice doesn't form on the vertical stab and thus decided to discard the idea, and the boot.

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

The vertical stab isn't asymmetrical even though it is usually offset a little to adjust for thrust asymmetry so many aircraft don't require de-icing equipment for it. It's interesting that the Beech 100 has a de-ice boot on the vertical stab but the Beech 200 doesn't.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

There are lots of airplanes certified for flight in forcast or known ice without a de-ice boot on the vertical fin. Beech 200, 300, 350, Metro 2 and 3 comes to mind. All depends on flight test data during initial design.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

CRJ's have no ice protection at all on the tail - vertical or horizontal surfaces.

namal
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by namal »

Awesome! Thank you!

If you are looking for quick success in Testking ACMP_6.1 exam then join today to explore useful Keene State College dumps resource.
sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

rxl wrote:CRJ's have no ice protection at all on the tail - vertical or horizontal surfaces.
Really... I never noticed. It doesn't naturally form there somehow?

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

The 320 only has Engine Intake Anti Ice and only Anti Ice protection on the outer half of the wing, it's funny to park beside a 737 after an approach in ice, because Boeing and Airbus have a completely different idea with the 737 only protecting the inner half, and the outer half on the Airbus.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

nwopilot wrote:I have always wondered why the PC-12 does not have a de-icing boot on its vertical stab. Most aircraft I seen have one on both stabs. Is the PC-12 not susceptible to icing on its vertical stab? Does it have to do with its fin design?
Do they have a slinger ring for the prop ?

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

sstaurus wrote:
rxl wrote:CRJ's have no ice protection at all on the tail - vertical or horizontal surfaces.
Really... I never noticed. It doesn't naturally form there somehow?
It does form on the tail, but in 12+ years of flying the airplane I have never seen any more than what I would describe as a trace.
In testing it was determined that ice protection was not required on the tail surfaces.

Return to “General Comments”