LogTen Pro X

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: LogTen Pro X

Post by 7ECA »

An email was sent out to existing Coradine Aviation customers (Log Ten Pro, etc), in which they cleared up confusion with regards to the new Log Ten Pro X software.

Basically, the iOS version is free, up until you log 40 hours of flight time, and then you are prompted to pay the subscription either annually or monthly (annual subscription costs $69.99 USD, while monthly is $6.99 USD).

Second, the Mac version of the Log Ten Pro X software, is FREE.

Here is a link to an article written by CEO Noah Lieberman:

http://coradine.com/2014/10/16/building-the-future/
---------- ADS -----------

4blue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 4blue »

I've been a longtime LogTen Pro user. They introduced version 6 in Sep 2011 and advertised iCloud sync. I was pumped about iCloud syncing, since their wifi sync was horrible. So I pay (again) for Mac and iPhone versions (they split the iPhone and iPad versions, then also added a third "universal" option).

However, iCloud sync wasn't actually implemented until Jan 2014. Now less than a year later their software won't work with Yosemite, basically forcing people into a paid $70 USD / year upgrade.

I think this is probably the point where I switch to Excel, or Logbook pro for Windows. 99% of my logkeeping is done on the go with my phone. I really only need the computer for job applications.

Say what you will about Noah and Coradine, but they sure know how to monetize their customers.

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

7ECA wrote:An email was sent out to existing Coradine Aviation customers (Log Ten Pro, etc), in which they cleared up confusion with regards to the new Log Ten Pro X software.

Basically, the iOS version is free, up until you log 40 hours of flight time, and then you are prompted to pay the subscription either annually or monthly (annual subscription costs $69.99 USD, while monthly is $6.99 USD).

Second, the Mac version of the Log Ten Pro X software, is FREE.

Here is a link to an article written by CEO Noah Lieberman:

http://coradine.com/2014/10/16/building-the-future/

Log Ten pro X is NOT FREE. An iOS subscription is required.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

The Mole wrote: Log Ten pro X is NOT FREE. An iOS subscription is required.
Hmm, really?

http://email.coradine.com/t/ViewEmail/y ... E12DB8921D

And:
LogTen Pro X.tiff
LogTen Pro X.tiff (43.61 KiB) Viewed 3555 times

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

Too quote the app store, "now included FREE with your Logten pro X iOS subscription"

--So is it crippled without an iOS subscription?
--Can it be used stand alone?

Im not wasting bandwidth to find out.

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

It's free until you log 40 hours. Their intent is to have it free for students. Once you get to 40 hours you cannot log anymore until you pay the subscription.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Krimson wrote:Filters are a pretty basic function of excel.

With an excel sheet, you can tailor it exactly how you like, count what you like, when you like. There's always the option of easily adding more functionality in the future and when you do it yourself, you know exactly what you are getting.

I have tried log ten pro and it seemed like it was trying to overdo everything. Went right back to my excel sheet. Exactly the information required, I don't have to take over 60 seconds to fill in an entry.

Plus I know my excel sheet will never be unsupported should any company go under.

You're preference is fine, but you probably have not seen a good excel sheet.
This is a bit silly. I'm quite aware a single spreadsheet filter is a simple thing. But writing all of the custom filters I would need to replace the functionality I have set up over many years, testing them to ensure accuracy, and so on would simply be too time-consuming to be worthwhile. If I was a private pilot starting out and had 30 hours in light singles it would be trivial. But it's not. Neither is easily printing the data in an acceptable format, handling of the airport and aircraft databases, and the rest of the things Excel lacks.

I agree with the point about custom proprietary software versus more generic stuff like Excel. The strength of one is also its weakness. One good thing about LogTen Pro is it has good export capabilities for your data. So you when my current version 6 dies, I'll export to tab-delimited and move on to another product.

An entry in a custom piece of software configured precisely for one's operation is generally lot faster than in a generic program hacked together by the average layperson. It certainly doesn't take me 60 seconds to enter a flight's data lol.

I'm not defending Coradine's new pricing model. I hate it, and I am yet another one of their loyal customers they have managed to alienate. I used to endorse them strongly to colleagues and now they won't be getting another dime from me.

But it gets a bit tiresome to have people try and tell me that I could replace what I have with a spreadsheet and a couple filters. Or the back of a napkin and a pencil. If that works for some, great. For me...not so much.

'Nuff said.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

I'm just an old guy who had no high school training on computers (weren't invented then). I made my own spread sheet on excel that looks exactly like the paper one sold in storesI Change a few formulas as I fly different airplane. It isn't perfect but it works for me. And it has since 2000. I find it fun to figure out how to modify it for the type and model of aircraft I'm flying.

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Lost Lake wrote:I'm just an old guy who had no high school training on computers (weren't invented then). I made my own spread sheet on excel that looks exactly like the paper one sold in storesI Change a few formulas as I fly different airplane. It isn't perfect but it works for me. And it has since 2000. I find it fun to figure out how to modify it for the type and model of aircraft I'm flying.
Good for you! Anyone who just throws their arms up and says I don't need to learn that, or refuses to stay current with advancing technology should not be flying airplanes for a living.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

niss/Lost Lake,

The problem with your approach for me is contained in your words "it isn't perfect but it works for me". Unfortunately that won't cut it for regulators and employers.

Let's be honest, most pilot in Canada don't use electronic logbooks because they're either:

a) too poor
b) too cheap
c) too lazy to switch from whatever method they've always used
d) all of the above

In your case you find it fun playing with a spreadsheet. Great. But in the majority of cases it would be self-flattery to suggest it's because one is an enlightened scholar mastering the high art of Excel macros.

:P

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Unfortunately complexintensions, I don't give a s$%t about regulators or employers. I don't need to keep a log book for the regulators and I have enough time that employers don't need to see my previous 4 paper log books.

When you get enough time like some of us, keeping a log book to impress someone isn't as important as keeping a record to look back on and remember certain times and experiences in your life is what counts.

Don't throw those new raybans out, they'll look cool for a few more years.

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

I have not known an employer or TC to have a problem with Excel format logbooks. I know of many who use Excel and submitted applications to TC, and who have applied and successfully gained employment as a pilot. When you print out an Excel spreadsheet in a professional looking format, there really is no difference between it and a pen and paper logbook. You can even sign the pages if you wish.

In fact I would say most employers would appreciate the accurate breakdown of times you can obtain from electronic formats. I usually printed out a separate sheet showing a comprehensive breakdown of every conceivable time they may want, and then some.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Lost Lake wrote:Unfortunately complexintensions, I don't give a s$%t about regulators or employers.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Maybe i'm more creative or just more willing to take the time to figure out how Excel works and to tweak it until i've got what I want. I thought about giving it an airports tab, and an airplanes tab, and then setting up macros to confirm entries against them. But it's not worth the effort. I just duplicated the paper format, and enter the data as per the paper copy. If I want to extract info later like how many hours on type, that's no harder than a lookup function and a date range. I had that working with about an afternoon's effort.

After creating it I went even cheaper and switched it to OpenOffice. I still have a hard time believing people use Word, Excel, etc. when OpenOffice is free and functionally equivalent.

fallex
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fallex »

Currently I'm using Libreoffice and like it much better than OpenOffice but that's me. Very similar to word and excel.

I used to use an excel logbook and it worked great when I was inputting data. However once the interview came and it came time to printing it out, the proper formatting became more of a hassle. That's when I switched to logten pro. Been using it ever since.

There was a brief time when logten pro x for Mac was completely free without a subscription. But you had to grab it very early on, otherwise you were out of luck. I think the software is a great standalone if you can live without the iPhone/iPad apps. As for the subscription, most software models are going this way sadly. Looks like a money grab personally, however costs are compatible to buying a new version update every other year or so. I don't currently subscribe, however if the version updates I may have to :(

privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

After I am done my logbook in a few months I plan to go digital. All the logbook Apps look great but one program that has been around for long long time has been Excel/Numbers. These two programs are flexible and I can have a cloud copy on my iPhone. Every month I get sent a xls. sheet and given that I still fly recreationally the Numbers program (apple excel) would offer the best and most economical solution. I don't need to rely on some app that might go bust one day. So the question is does anybody out there have a good excel/numbers template for logbooks?

blue thunder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by blue thunder »

I agree with privateer. Numbers! It backs up to the cloud and you use formulas just like Excel. I've attached a screen shot, although it doesn't quite capture the entire sheet but it gives you an idea. You can do your logbook entries from an iPhone, iPad, or my Mac. I guess you may have to be ruled by Apple like I am to have all this.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 7.51.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 7.51.29 PM.png (288.1 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
CT114Tutor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CT114Tutor »

http://myflightbook.com/

It is free, has an app and a browser interface. Is in the cloud. Can track all sorts of variables (in the hundreds). Easily downloads to a CSV for backup.

It's free.

The app version has a button press for when you start the engine, when you take off, when you land, and when you shutdown.

Also can store any(?) sort of file with it (GPS track, photos, etc.), and much more!

And it's free!

(But I also keep my paper logbook current).

Return to “General Comments”