LogTen Pro X

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

LogTen Pro X

Post by razorblade »

LogTen Pro "X" <- now 75$ a year. That's rather expensive for a logbook. Anybody have alternative recommendations?
---------- ADS -----------

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: LogTen Pro X

Post by niss »

For 79.99 for your career you can get this one.

http://www.aviationworld.net/default/pi ... brown.html

Sure it's made of dead trees and cows instead of 1s and 0s, but you whip out this baby at the bar, and regale the ladies with your harrowing tales of flying a clapped out navajo that was filled to the gunwales, and you had to make that flight otherwise people would have to go without their old dutch chips, that smitten lass is going to want you right there and then.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

Or you could've typed out a more helpful answer..

Anyone have opinions/ thoughts on:
http://www.nc-software.com/
OR
http://www.mccpilotlog.net/
OR
Anything else?

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

niss wrote:For 79.99 for your career you can get this one.

http://www.aviationworld.net/default/pi ... brown.html

Sure it's made of dead trees and cows instead of 1s and 0s, but you whip out this baby at the bar, and regale the ladies with your harrowing tales of flying a clapped out navajo that was filled to the gunwales, and you had to make that flight otherwise people would have to go without their old dutch chips, that smitten lass is going to want you right there and then.

I like this answer ^^^^ ahhaha

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

razorblade wrote:Or you could've typed out a more helpful answer..

Anyone have opinions/ thoughts on:
http://www.nc-software.com/
OR
http://www.mccpilotlog.net/
OR
Anything else?
I use MCC pilot log. It's been great. Once you get your airplanes and other pilots loaded in, adding flights is pretty simple and quick. You have the option of printing it out in the exact format of the aviation world book. There is a premium version which gives a bunch more functionality, but I am just a cheap pilot and the free version is A-OK for me.

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

Thanks for that. I had seen it recommended on APC as well, I'll definitely give that a try. Someone I'd flown with recently suggested another one that was 20$ and kept the format of the small pocket-style book but now I can't remember the name of that one haha.

I_Heart_Seaplanes
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I_Heart_Seaplanes »

I have LogTen Pro (v6) for iPhone and love it. It was $30 and well worth the price. I use it to quickly keep track of my daily flight time, and do it on my phone as I do my a/c paperwork at the end of the day. The ease of tracking flight/duty time is outstanding.

What I do worry about with all e-logbook apps is what will happen to my cloud saved records when they eventually stop supporting a particular version. That is why I still keep a "dead tree and cow" (thanks niss) version of my logbook as a backup. I wait for a rainy Saturday and sit down with some good tunes on and write out a year or so worth of daily entries.

If you're gonna to be dumb, you gotta be tough
boogs82
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by boogs82 »

cdnpilot77 put me on to MCC. I like it. Does the trick and is easy to use.

SnotRocket
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SnotRocket »

Looks like these other options offer a conversion from LogTen Pro. I'm sold, so long Coradine.

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

I ended up getting MCC. 100$ lifetime with unlimited sync, easy choice.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Scrap paper : free
Pen from "hotel": free
sharpening mental abilities: free
excel files on existing computer: relatively free

Space pilots may need a pencil.

Really though, if you need an app to do all of your work for you then you need to find another profession that doesn't require basic math skills.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

If I wanted to spend my life doing math and being sober I wouldn't have become a pilot.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Heliian wrote:Scrap paper : free
Pen from "hotel": free
sharpening mental abilities: free
excel files on existing computer: relatively free

Space pilots may need a pencil.

Really though, if you need an app to do all of your work for you then you need to find another profession that doesn't require basic math skills.
It comes down to time. Mine is more valuable than the cost of some app, but everyone is different. Hopefully, you'll never have to fill in any applications for employment more complicated than where you are now. But if you do it'll quickly become apparent your scraps of paper and Excel won't quite cut it for your prospective employers. :mrgreen:

I think subscription-based software sucks. Anytime I hear some idiot justifying something with the "cost of a couple of lattes" argument I know it's time to walk away. So even though I have been a big fan of LogTen Pro in the past I will be migrating to another product if v6 doesn't work with iOS 8 and Yosemite. Thanks for the tips, all.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

complexintentions wrote:Anytime I hear some idiot justifying something with the "cost of a couple of lattes" argument I know it's time to walk away.
Woah...Easy there Mr. Rockefeller! What in the @#$! is a latte? We be but humble pilots here. How many boxes of kraft dinner and/or 2L bottles of PC cola is it worth?

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

[quote="complexintentions]But if you do it'll quickly become apparent your scraps of paper and Excel won't quite cut it for your prospective employers. :mrgreen:
[/quote]
What? are you going to hand your ipad over to your prospective employer?

Step 1, record your daily total on scrap paper with pen

Step 2, Once you have a couple of minutes, enter into spreadsheet.

You see, the spreadsheet can be emailed wherever and updated whenever.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

niss wrote:
complexintentions wrote:Anytime I hear some idiot justifying something with the "cost of a couple of lattes" argument I know it's time to walk away.
Woah...Easy there Mr. Rockefeller! What in the @#$! is a latte? We be but humble pilots here. How many boxes of kraft dinner and/or 2L bottles of PC cola is it worth?
Ok, that was spit take awesome! :lol:

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

hahah! Nice to see Canadian pilot stereotypes aren't dead yet. :mrgreen:

The "couple of lattes" is how the Coradine guys are trying to spin a monthly subscription to the new logbook. Convert to "boxes of KD" or whatever units you're more comfortable with.

As far as the scraps of paper and spreadsheets, if your job is simple enough that all you need is the total time, and you are certain you'll never need more than that later, great. But what works for you doesn't work for everyone. Yes, a spreadsheet could do the job theoretically. But to build one that would have the same functionality of LogTen Pro would take more time and expertise than it's worth. Arguing otherwise just demonstrates a lack of knowledge of electronic logbooks. (You don't give your iPad to anyone, for instance). They do a a great deal more than just record total time. Don't need one, don't get one. Simple.

But if you're tracking a whole ton of specific qualifications and experience requirements - which many jobs will ask for - you can't exactly just email them your Excel sheet and ask them to take a look. lol

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

^ c'mon man, how many columns do you need? Kids these days can't make a spreadsheet?

Tell me then, how many variables do you enter in your "logbook" in one day.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

The problem is you're comparing a flat spreadsheet to a relational database. If all you need are a few columns, then a spreadsheet will be just fine. It is nothing to do with how many variables you enter on one day, it's about how many variables you are tracking over thousands of hours, many years, multiple types, hundreds of aircraft and destinations. Besides flights I'm currently tracking over two dozen qualifications and certifications that all have different datums and expiry times. Obviously if you don't have this need, you won't see the value in something with this feature.

I'm in the process of updating contract job application databases. Having complex filters dynamically supply the data is invaluable. If I had to sit with a calculator and a Jeppesen book and extract the hours from a couple decades of flying it would be impossibly time-consuming.

I have had to submit a paper copy of my logbook to the Chinese CAA. Having templates built-in for them, UK CAA, FAA, Transport Canada etc is also worth the savings in time.

I'm sure one could build something with macros and formulas to emulate a lot of the functions of an electronic logbook. Setting aside that it would be butt ugly, user-unfriendly, and probably buggy - how much is your time worth? It's all about time. I enter the data once on my phone, done. No guessing what I wrote on a coffee-stained scrap as I type it into the correct cell back home.

Not everyone is in the same type of operation as I am, so I understand if not everyone sees the value. But I'd never go back, any more than I'd track my finances in a paper ledger.

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

Filters are a pretty basic function of excel.

With an excel sheet, you can tailor it exactly how you like, count what you like, when you like. There's always the option of easily adding more functionality in the future and when you do it yourself, you know exactly what you are getting.

I have tried log ten pro and it seemed like it was trying to overdo everything. Went right back to my excel sheet. Exactly the information required, I don't have to take over 60 seconds to fill in an entry.

Plus I know my excel sheet will never be unsupported should any company go under.

You're preference is fine, but you probably have not seen a good excel sheet.

Return to “General Comments”