You could say that ISIS is entering a zone of danger....

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

You could say that ISIS is entering a zone of danger....

Post by niss »

---------- ADS -----------

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: You could say that ISIS is entering a zone of danger....

Post by CpnCrunch »

I'm pretty sure the US will just bomb the f*!& out of the airport, which is simpler but less fun.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Time for one small, well placed, nuke. Time for the world to stop putting up with ass holes like these.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Considering that casualties of wars are for 80% civilians, mainly women and kids, I am sure it won't be different this time.

Thank you, from the few countries of Europe and USA for arming ISIS a few months ago, now you can justify more bombing.
I can only imagine the smiles, round house high fives, and shirtless volleyball matches that spontaneously filled the briefing room when the western pilots operating over Iraq and Syria heard the news that they would be getting some air to air kills.
Is the friggin idiot who wrote that having the right to use a gun?
Time to stop playing video games boys, this is the real shit!

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

ISIS's strength is in their use mass-hysteria stirred up by western media outlets. Without that... they would just be another group of insurgents we've never heard of or don't care about... like all of those in dozens of banana republics and failed nations all around the world.

They won't play the air-to-air game unless they have a safe nation to base their aircraft from... like China during the Korean and Vietnam wars. They'll just keep on doing what they are doing... ...playing on peoples' irrational fears....

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

timel wrote:Is the friggin idiot who wrote that having the right to use a gun? Time to stop playing video games boys, this is the real shit!
You're right, but so is the person who wrote that article. Fighter pilots (especially the Americans) will be salivating at the chance to squeeze the trigger on these guys and notching up an air to air kill. Even as grotesquely one sided as these will be is ISIS is foolish enough to do anything with those jets.

Their biggest advantage is hiding amongst the population in an urban setting, but if they venture out with those jets they are hanging a big sign around their neck saying "kill me" with nowhere to hide.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Instantly Shot Into Smithereens

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:Time for one small, well placed, nuke. Time for the world to stop putting up with ass holes like these.
Illya

I was sort of wondering when this topic/post would appear over the horizon with the usual "slapstick" comedy act. Guess you are da man, Illya.........

:smt040

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Get me a nice used F-15. I'll go play. I'll e en let the colonel be my RIO.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

timel wrote:Considering that casualties of wars are for 80% civilians, mainly women and kids, I am sure it won't be different this time.

Thank you, from the few countries of Europe and USA for arming ISIS a few months ago, now you can justify more bombing.
I can only imagine the smiles, round house high fives, and shirtless volleyball matches that spontaneously filled the briefing room when the western pilots operating over Iraq and Syria heard the news that they would be getting some air to air kills.
Is the friggin idiot who wrote that having the right to use a gun?
Time to stop playing video games boys, this is the real shit!
I actually sort of agree with the tone of the piece. We like to think of these fundamentalist religious guys as being toothless hillbillies who are hard to kill simply because of how easily their miserable belief system catches on with other disenfranchised toothless hillbillies, and because they keep themselves safe by hiding amongst civilians. We pilots also like to think of ourselves as pretty advanced and dialled-in guys and girls, and the idea that "one of us" could simultaneously be skillful enough to fly a jet fighter and also be one of these religious whackos is a bit of a brain-bender. Kind of an abomination. Personally if I had a plane with guns and rockets on it, and someone gave me a chance to flick one of these flying assholes off the face of creation, I'd probably be pretty chuffed too.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Upon reading Mr Servos resume I believe we'll need two planes so I can be his wingman.

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Meatservo wrote:
I actually sort of agree with the tone of the piece. We like to think of these fundamentalist religious guys as being toothless hillbillies who are hard to kill simply because of how easily their miserable belief system catches on with other disenfranchised toothless hillbillies, and because they keep themselves safe by hiding amongst civilians. We pilots also like to think of ourselves as pretty advanced and dialled-in guys and girls, and the idea that "one of us" could simultaneously be skillful enough to fly a jet fighter and also be one of these religious whackos is a bit of a brain-bender. Kind of an abomination. Personally if I had a plane with guns and rockets on it, and someone gave me a chance to flick one of these flying assholes off the face of creation, I'd probably be pretty chuffed too.

I think that militaries, especially army pilots, who are considered as officers should have a certain sensitivity towards the concept of killing and destroying infrastructures. Some of this houses they bomb did belong at some point to families for long generations, and killing innocent families is maybe only strengthening ISIS troops.

ISIS are religious fanatics, but they are far from stupid, they won't take old crappy equipment to go and fight ultra well equipped nations. They will rather hide into households where innocents are living.

Why ISIS have come to gain so much weapons and equipments?
What's up in Afghanistan? USA is loosing it's face over there, because they can't win, finding easier grounds?

But you are right, this article is the expression of this funker350 frustration, in his incapacity to solve the problem with any weapon technology.

Maybe it's time to stop and find new solutions. Ho right... USA and Harper have interest in non-armed solutions...

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

You are right, they are officers, and are expected to be gentlemen. But they are also young men, and have a young man's total devotion to what they think is "right". And the ISIL terrorists are so far beyond the pale in terms of what a young, educated, western man considers to be "right" that it's difficult for anyone to think charitably about them.

Also I don't think it was bombing that got these guys all riled up, it was chasing down a jet fighter with exactly one first-class "educated" religious terrorist aboard and causing it to not exist. Bomber pilots have a different level of gravity to their task, and you can be sure their consciences are far from untroubled in many cases. But an air-to-air combat with a ISIL fighter? I think even I could get excited about that, and I'm considered by my friends to be a soft touch.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

At the end of the day the inhabitants of the area in question are going to have to come to a broadly based consensus on the national boundaries of their countries and the system of government that works for them.

Bombing the "Bad Guys" from the air may make us feel good, but IMO just muddles up an already messed up situation.

ISIS is a result of a political vacuum, not a military one. A lasting solution will only be achieved politically. It will probably not look like what we want, but our ability to influence events in the region has proven to be ephemeral at best........

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

"I think that militaries, especially army pilots, who are considered as officers"

Wrong! Many of the pilots of the British Army Air Corps are enlisted personnel, not officers. At least the ones I worked with were.

Just curious if you ever served and if so where? Maybe I ran into you somewhere.

Cheers...Chris

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I think we know what he was trying to say without delving into the minutiae of the military rank structure. Also I doubt the AAC pilots, commissioned or otherwise, are going to be shooting down any MiG 21s. The original media article refers to MiG 21s purportedly being observed flying into and out of an air base that is under control of the ISIL terrorists. It does not refer to any bombing. The opinions expressed by the writer of the article, or by any military pilots (officers, non-commissioned officers, warrant officers, whatever they were) quoted in the article were NOT on the subject of bombing. Can we stop talking about bombing? This was supposed to be about ISIL terrorists whooshing around in jet fighters, and Timel's opinion on the writer's enthusiasm for getting a chance to shoot them down.

Finally, does Timel's military service or lack thereof have any bearing on his right to an opinion on the subject? Presumably he does vote and pay taxes.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Moose47 wrote:"I think that militaries, especially army pilots, who are considered as officers"

Wrong! Many of the pilots of the British Army Air Corps are enlisted personnel, not officers. At least the ones I worked with were.

Just curious if you ever served and if so where? Maybe I ran into you somewhere.

Cheers...Chris
No, never served, thank you for the precision.

Meatservo, right, it is not about bombing.
Former members of the Iraq Army who have joined ISIS have apparently been training other members of the group to fly three fighter jets, which were captured during the Islamic State’s invasion of Iraq.
I wonder what they have in mind with those 3 Mig21. You don't learn to fly those over a weekend, and like he said.
iflyforpie wrote: They won't play the air-to-air game unless they have a safe nation to base their aircraft from... like China during the Korean and Vietnam wars. They'll just keep on doing what they are doing... ...playing on peoples' irrational fears....

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

Wait, I had something for this. Damn it.
CpnCrunch wrote:I'm pretty sure the US will just bomb the f*!& out of the airport, which is simpler but less fun.
"I call that the MOAB. It stands for-"
"I know what it stands for. I was there. Please don’t say it out loud."

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Timel, you rang?

I think I can speak with a bit of authority on what you said.

However you have to understand a few thing about how US (Army) aviation works. All of our aviation assets are designed to support the ground based fighter.
My role is to insert ground forces close to a designated objective, for them to capture/harass/do blowup type stuff to knock down the enemies capabilities.

I think you are confusing the Apache and Kiowa's mission as every helicopter pilot. Not the case.

Also, the rules of engagement are making us lose the war in Afghanistan.
We won Fallujah and Haditha because it was a knock down, kill everything that moved battle. We lost Iraq (to ISIS) because Washington tried to appeal to voters.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Nark wrote: However you have to understand a few thing about how US (Army) aviation works. All of our aviation assets are designed to support the ground based fighter.
My role is to insert ground forces close to a designated objective, for them to capture/harass/do blowup type stuff to knock down the enemies capabilities.
Are you saying all of the missions you do are successful in not making any civilian casualties?
Hasn't US government been over using drones to bomb and destroy targets in latest years?

I think you are confusing the Apache and Kiowa's mission as every helicopter pilot. Not the case.
Both Choppers have their use. I know Kiowa pilots life expectancy is not very long.

Also, the rules of engagement are making us lose the war in Afghanistan.
We won Fallujah and Haditha because it was a knock down, kill everything that moved battle. We lost Iraq (to ISIS) because Washington tried to appeal to voters.
Yes and unless you do that all around the place it wont work. Russia failed to win in Afghanistan and the rules of engagements were pretty wide I think.

Do you really think that killing every single men and women carrying a ak-47 will changes the political climate?

Return to “General Comments”