8 seconds left, better do something quick!

This forum is for all you story tellers to have a place to tell us your adventures like Duke Elegant once did.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

FREEFALL
Rank 5
Rank 5

8 seconds left, better do something quick!

Post by FREEFALL »

When I just got my "A" certificate of profitioncy (spelling?) and was moved from student to novice skydiver, I rewarded myself with a trip to the USA for the opportunity to jump at higher altitudes than I was used to.

To make a long story short, I tried packing my chute a little differently, to actually try and prevent a malfunction while it opened. (lesson learned) So, at 2200ft AGL, the altitude when I am to pull the pilot chute. I couldn't find the handle. So I attempted a second time. Again, to no avail. By this time I was at about 1500ft AGL. Time to make the decision. PULL THE RESERVE PARACHUTE RIPCORD.

The first thing going through my mind was how I was going to have to pay $60 US to have my recerve repacked. Because I was not certified to do it.

So there I am hanging under my beautiful, freshly opened yellow reserve parachute at 900ft AGL. FOUR SECONDS FROM IMPACT.

The beer went down extra smooth that night.
---------- ADS -----------

If riding in a plane is FLYING. Then Riding in a boat is SWIMMING!
Juggs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Juggs »

The more important question is, where the did my freebag go, and why does my groin hurt so much? :lol:

JUGGS-A waypoint in Idaho too!
Seagull
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Seagull »

Pilots & especially Skydivers must always remember..."I put myself in this position"

GilletteNorth
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by GilletteNorth »

So the potential worth of a human life is $60 US? Makes you think.

Having a standard that pilots lose their licence after making a mistake despite doing no harm to aircraft or passengers means soon you needn't worry about a pilot surplus or pilots offering to fly for free. Where do you get your experience from?

Return to “Around the Camp Fire”