Travel Cameras

This forum is for all you story tellers to have a place to tell us your adventures like Duke Elegant once did.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Travel Cameras

Post by Doc »

Always looking at new cameras. Camera stores have always been a "danger zone" for my numerous credit cards. Now, I'm looking at cameras for travel. Ideally, it'll be well sealed against dust, and be able to live in my tank bag.
Looking at a Nikon P7100. The P7700 is out so the price is down. The new P7700 has no view finder. I like a viewfinder, as using the live view kills batteries too quick. I had a Canon G9, but my wife stole it.
My D200 is just too big and clunky.
What do you guys use, and why?
---------- ADS -----------

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Travel Cameras

Post by seasonaldriver »

Nice camera. However, as a fellow Nikon man, I'm going for the D7000. I do really like to have a choice of lenses to play with even if it there is a bit more to carry around. That and the D7000 has a higher resolution sensor and higher res movie capability.

If I was going for a "shirt pocket camera" I'd get one of the waterproof cameras available in the brand of your choice. Never have to worry about getting anything nasty into the innards where it could wreak damage amongst the delicate pretty-much-everythings.

Any camera you get will produce stunning pictures IF the shooter knows what they are doing. A $30 camera will do as well as a $3000 camera, but will be very limited in the circumstances it can do so, but a crappy photographer can make crappy pics just as well with a $3000 camera as with a $30 camera.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Only thing holding me back from getting a D7000, is wondering what Nikon's plans are regarding upgrading the D300s. Theu may stick with the D7000? Everything I've read gives it top marks. If I do replace the D200 in the near future, it'll be with the D7000. The waiting game continues here.
Just want something smaller for the tank bag. And if it goes splash, I wont have to get a second mtg to replace.

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seasonaldriver »

Pick a camera that fits all three ways. Your desired features, your budget, and the size of the storage space. Or at least the best 2 out of 3.

I personally would like to get the 300s but the budget just ain't there and the D7000 does just about everything anyway, so life is good.

CamAero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CamAero »

Panasonic Micro-Four-Thirds makes a great travelling camera, for its size and interchangeability of lenses. I have one wide angle that's worth more than the whole original kit, with two lenses but I'm very happy with it.

https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo ... MCGX1K.asp

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

seasonaldriver wrote:If I was going for a "shirt pocket camera" I'd get one of the waterproof cameras available in the brand of your choice. Never have to worry about getting anything nasty into the innards where it could wreak damage amongst the delicate pretty-much-everythings.
My wife has an Olympus water camera that replaced an older one just because they improved so much over the 3 years she had the first one. They have both been in the Ocean several times for snorkeling and bashing around with the kids. She just rinses them well after and has had no problems at all.

If you get one at London Drugs they'll sell you an extra warranty that used to be really good I don't know if it still is or not though.

Olympus site says $150 should be able to get one for less. If you're getting a good one though not much point in dragging two around.

This one is small and tough though and if it goes for a swim or just gets rained on no worries.
http://www.getolympus.com/ca/en/digital ... g-310.html

You do need to keep an eye on the battery if you're using it constantly away from electricity for a week as my wife does. I suppose you could buy a second one.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

I have taken everything from a Mamiya RZ67 to a tiny Fuji point and shoot travelling with me, and have been known to care more about the safety of my gear then myself....

My last trip to Africa I brought a d200, it is quite heavy and at the time was about 3 years old. I've used the upcoming trip to patagonia as an exscuse to replace it. Originally I was going for the d800e, but it was bulky enough to annoy me, ended up settling for a d7000. Doc, IMHO it blows the d200 out of the water. I don't notice I huge difference from 10 to 16 megapixels, for me it was the crispness and the dynamic range...simply mind blowing. It's smaller, lighter ( but still metal and weather sealed), faster, and better in pretty much every respect except for control layout. I'm getting used to it but I miss the ISO,quality and Wb locations of the 200/300. If you are worried about replacements to the d300, don't be, ay new ge camera will be a huge upgrade quality, once you buy, stop looking at cameras. The 600 was anounced weeks after I got my 7000, and I've been too in love with the 7000 to care.

To be quite honest if i was looking for a pure travel camera I would be going Sony NEX-7. Simply amazing little camera. The only thibg that turns me off from it is the fly-by-wire manual focus. I'm sure I could get over it, but to use my NIKON glass I would need an adapter and loose autofocus(not that i use it much).

The other one I would look at is the Fuji x1 or x100... Or the Sony full frame point and shoot with the fixed lens, can't remember the name maybe Rx1?

I've printed excellent 24x36s off a D70 jpeg, any modern camera is probably much more then I need for almost everything, its a great time to be a photographer!

Please forgive, poor grammar.... Typed this on my phone on the ferry

E

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

My wife is getting me a new D7000 body for Christmas. She just doesn't know it yet. I agree. All my research says "buy the 7000!"

fleetcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fleetcanuck »

Doc, I know everybody tries to tell a person what to do... I got the D7000 a year and a half ago and I am more than happy with it. I strongly recommend the 18-200 lens for just about anything you want to do. It is the only one I have and its flexibility, combined with the ISO range lets you get some great night shots as well. A skylight to protect the glass and a CP filter let you do quite a bit. I have taken it on a number of trips and when you stuff it in a compact case, it is not a big deal to carry it around.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I have an 18-200. Use it most of the time. Mine's a Sigma. Very good glass. I also have a 10-20 that I don't use enough and a 35 1.8 as a "spare" lens I'm good to go.

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seasonaldriver »

My wife is getting me a new D7000 body for Christmas. She just doesn't know it yet. I agree. All my research says "buy the 7000!"
Mrs. Doc is a lucky lady!

Is that with the 18-105 kit?or?

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

seasonaldriver wrote:
Mrs. Doc is a lucky lady!

Is that with the 18-105 kit?or?
Just the body. Don't want a kit lens. My 10-20. 35 and 18-200 covers my bases nicely.

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seasonaldriver »

I gotta learn to read things more better. Have fun with Your new camera Doc.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

seasonaldriver wrote:I gotta learn to read things more better.
Hay that's mine.

You can use it, it's a pretty good one. You spelled lurn right though.

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seasonaldriver »

W'all thenkye verry much. Yew're such a gennlman.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

That sigma 10-20 is a great piece of kit!

My 'travel' camera is a Fuji X100.. Love that thing. INCREDIBLE color rendering and beautifully sharp. But I tend to just drag my DSLR around everywhere now anyways.. haha

How ya likin' the new gear Doc?

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Never did buy the D7000. The D200 works pretty well. At least until the D7100 comes out. Meanwhile I'm shopping for a pro quality P&S camera.
The quest continues.
D

esp803

Post by esp803 »

After lugging a little over 12lbs of camera gear through several multi-day hikes, I can say that I will be in the market for the same thing as Doc for next season... with all that SLR gear the relatively light 45lb bag becomes well north of 50 and a real pain on 100km+ hikes...

I've been eying up the Fuji X-Pro 1, I suspect I'll hold off until I pick up an Elinchrom Ranger Quadra... just because I think adding more weight to my gear is a good idea..... :roll:

On a side note I'm quite still quite happy with the D7000's performance over the last months. Sensor is getting a little dirty, but I have been unableto find compressed air anywhere in this particular town, when I head back north I'll get her cleaned.

Here's a quick snap of Fitzroy, from the D7000, 17-55, B+W Polarizer, on some sort of Manfrotto Tripod...

E

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Nice shot there, Ansel Adams!

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I'm looking at getting an AW110. I like the waterproofing and the fact I can hand it to the kids and not worry, plus the compact size and weight and decent performance.

But for all of my traveling and adventuring, I've had my D5000 for the last three years. With a Black Rapid shoulder strap and usually just an 18-105mm or 35 1.8 lens, it's not much of a burden. Did Southern California with it last fall and it stayed out of the way.

If I was going to go up to something like a D7100, I'd just go whole hog and get the FX D600 if price wasn't an issue because they are nearly the same size. I'm holding off on a wide angle until I decide if I'm going to jump up to FX, because I've already got an FX tele.

Return to “Around the Camp Fire”