Training Changes....

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

4nANT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Training Changes....

Post by 4nANT »

snapdawg wrote:I've heard from a few sources that trainees will be getting paid at an earlier point during training. However they do not have the details ironed out regarding exactly when or how much, so they are keeping quiet for now.
They updated the Take Charge Website.

IFR & VFR

Phase 1: $30,000

Phase 2: $40,700

FSS

Phase 2: $35,000

Now I'm really hoping I get a call for my 2nd interview soon.
---------- ADS -----------

s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by s1yx »

4nANT wrote:
snapdawg wrote:I've heard from a few sources that trainees will be getting paid at an earlier point during training. However they do not have the details ironed out regarding exactly when or how much, so they are keeping quiet for now.
They updated the Take Charge Website.

IFR & VFR

Phase 2: $40,700

FSS

Phase 2: $35,000

Now I'm really hoping I get a call for my 2nd interview soon.
Tuition is also gone, as are any of the fees for testing. This is a huge step towards bringing in more potentially successful applicants who may not have been able to survive 6-12 months with no income. It also appears there might be some sort of retroactive pay for those of us who were training effective Jan 1 2016 8).

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

I am happy about the changes made but I am sceptical that it will improve the qualification rate significantly. Either way it's a good change for students to reduce the financial burden on them but I think we may run into some complacency issues with some students. We'll see!

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

If anything, it'll expand the pool of potential candidates, meaning there will be more potentially successful candidates. I just hope your selection is good enough to discriminate between those that have the potential to make it and those that don't.

I don't see how complacency could be an issue...

Going for the deck at corner
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

AuxBatOn wrote:If anything, it'll expand the pool of potential candidates, meaning there will be more potentially successful candidates. I just hope your selection is good enough to discriminate between those that have the potential to make it and those that don't.

I don't see how complacency could be an issue...
From the outside I see how it could be perceived as a non issue. I have the same hope as you regarding the selection process. I honestly don't think it is currently up to par. We are indeed improving the recruiting process but we are far away from something that I would consider suitable. We'll see what happens. Overall I am happy but I just hope the trend to improve the training system will continue and go beyond just paying trainees. Like I said, good for trainees but probably won't increase the success rate.

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ProfessionalATC »

Hey Braun , Why dont you think the selection process is up to par? What effect do you think the new referral system will have on the selection and recruitment process?

s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by s1yx »

ProfessionalATC wrote:Hey Braun , Why dont you think the selection process is up to par? What effect do you think the new referral system will have on the selection and recruitment process?
In my opinion the issue is that if someone is dedicated enough it's very hard to tell if they will actually be able to do the job until late in the training process, after both the student and the training department have invested a lot. I have heard that it is very rare that someone does not pass the generic IFR course in our region, our course lost one person and that was unusual. If you are dedicated enough I believe you can get over this first hurdle, even if that person ends up not being successful at later stages. I'm about a month deep into my specialty course now and I wish that generic had done more to prepare me; the learning curve is a straight up wall. I understand that we need to start somewhere but it should be a steeper ramp up in generic to ease the transition into the real thing, and maybe save people some time.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

ProfessionalATC wrote:Hey Braun , Why dont you think the selection process is up to par? What effect do you think the new referral system will have on the selection and recruitment process?
I am bit late to answer, sorry! I think the selection process can continue to be improved especially in detecting the personality traits that we are looking for. I don't want to discredit the process completely. It's a lot better than it was before but I don't think we are at a point where we can say ''This is it, we got it''.

As for the referral program I don't really have a comment yet as it just started and the first batch of trainees who went through that route haven't even started yet, we'll see!

That being said, it is a good time to apply to Nav. There are a lot of short staff units and training is going to be a top priority for the company in the near future.

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

What is this referral system?

TheSealRimRady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheSealRimRady »

@rspencer

Basically, navcanada employees can refer people they know for training. For the applicant, this means they can go through a streamlined application which will take weeks or months, instead of the full process which could take more than a year.

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

Really??? What is stopping people on here from referring applicants? Do current employees get any benefit from the referral?

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

rspencer38 wrote:Really??? What is stopping people on here from referring applicants? Do current employees get any benefit from the referral?
No benefit for employees other than the fact that you helped streamline a friend or family member's application.

Also they still have to pass the tests. Just not the online test and phone interview.

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

Jezz, wish I had the option to skip the phone interview (which I found to be the hardest of all steps). I'm likely transferring to YQM region and may need to reapply once I time out (this sept). Hopefully I can find a contact that can get me through on a referral.

TheSealRimRady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheSealRimRady »

Braun wrote:
rspencer38 wrote:Really??? What is stopping people on here from referring applicants? Do current employees get any benefit from the referral?
No benefit for employees other than the fact that you helped streamline a friend or family member's application.

Also they still have to pass the tests. Just not the online test and phone interview.
To add to the employee part, I doubt many employees would refer a friend or family unless they had the aptitude and motivation to succeed in training. To do so without the aforementioned qualities undermines the training process, discredits anyone else you might refer in the future, and costs Nav Canada a significant amount of money w/ no return (assuming the trainee is unsuccessful).

But hey, what do I know, I'm just an enroute trainee¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

^ True, but how can the employee really assess if the candidate is truly qualified? If I had a friend who worked at Nav Can and I wanted to apply, why wouldn't they refer me? It is up to Nav Canada to determine if i'm qualified.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

TheSealRimRady wrote:
Braun wrote:

To add to the employee part, I doubt many employees would refer a friend or family unless they had the aptitude and motivation to succeed in training. To do so without the aforementioned qualities undermines the training process, discredits anyone else you might refer in the future, and costs Nav Canada a significant amount of money w/ no return (assuming the trainee is unsuccessful).

But hey, what do I know, I'm just an enroute trainee¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
It's not like people applying through the referral program automatically get accepted and placed. I mean they need to go through testing as well, including sim time. So while I admire your optimism I think that if an ATC has a friend or family who would like to apply they would most likely refer them. Is that the spirit of the referral program or what I would do? No, probably not, but when you are giving a family member or friend a shot to have an excellent career why would you not refer them and let them go through the process?

Also trainees are employees too. Your opinion is valid even if you are only a trainee. The only thing going against you is that you are enroute and not terminal :lol:

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

I wish there was a process for those of us that are in the pool but are soon timing out. I feel like i'm so close, yet so far away.

bobbert
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bobbert »

I know how you feel, I got into the IFR pool last June, and im just waiting with no idea where and if I might get a call.

I wish they could somehow expand on that, being in the pool and just waiting is getting long, especially those that time out. Its hard to plan the next year of your life with little to no pay with just 2 - 3 months notice. I know that if you want it then you will make it work, but at the same time, the wait is just killer

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

bobbert wrote:I know how you feel, I got into the IFR pool last June, and im just waiting with no idea where and if I might get a call.

I wish they could somehow expand on that, being in the pool and just waiting is getting long, especially those that time out. Its hard to plan the next year of your life with little to no pay with just 2 - 3 months notice. I know that if you want it then you will make it work, but at the same time, the wait is just killer
From the Nav Canada TakeCharge website:

When can I expect to start getting paid?

You’ll start to receive a student allowance of $30,000 per year as soon as you begin your training. After you successfully complete the first phase of training, you will begin on-the-job training. At that point, you will become an employee of NAV CANADA and you will earn a student training salary of approximately $35,000 to $40,700 per year. Your salary increases significantly once you’re fully qualified.

Also no more "tuition" fees.

bobbert
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bobbert »

Nice,

That must be recent then,

When I applied and during my in-person interview they were really making sure that I knew and was prepared for $4k~ tuition and being unpaid for 9 to 14 months.

Seems like that makes it a lot easier for applicants.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”