Calgary / Springbank Tower Positions

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

wannabeatc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Calgary / Springbank Tower Positions

Post by wannabeatc »

Hi,

What are the chances of being sent to Calgary or Springbank towers after finishing phase one training? Are these places in high demand like Victoria or not so much?

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Calgary / Springbank Tower Positions

Post by outflying8 »

Hey Im in the pool right now so take this with a grain of salt (may have inaccuracies)

From what I have been told by current controllers and a few other staff members

Springbank quite often needs controllers although its not as desirable an airport since its high traffic but mostly small private planes and a lot of students learning there so it can take some patience I have been told. Not uncommon to get a first posting there though.

YYC is the busiest airport in our FIR and has only in the last few years started taking ab-initio there....they told me that it isnt impossible to get a first posting there but it is very unlikely as there is a lot of seniority bidding for it......

Are you from the calgary area is that why you are asking about those 2 specifically? if you are I would suggest not thinking about it because you are far more likely to be moving once you get your OTJ/First posting....

I was told that every airport can receive new trainees but the most common are Fort Mac and Yellowknife as they quite often are understaffed and tend to be a little more gentle traffic wise than a major international would be.....

So yes, you could get springbank or calgary int. but assume you wont, cuz you likely will be elsewhere until you have the seniority to bid it.

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
NJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NJ »

Hello YYC controller here, YBW and YYC need controllers like all other units eventually do. I can't speak for YBW, but YYC will take the occasional ab-initio controller. We've had 5 ab-initios in the last 10 years, where in that time we've taken ~20 seniority bids in as well. So it's rare, but not unheard-of. If you are interested in a career of Calgary area air traffic control, I'd advise to apply for the VFR stream, and take whatever they give you. You work for 3 years minimum in YMM, YXY and YZF, then transfer to one of the towers here. While working in your first unit, you will learn the job and be well compensated for your learning time. Then you come down south making triple the wage you would've as an ab-initio, and you can really concentrate on training and doing the job well. You will also make lifelong friends, which is never a bad thing!

And even working in a tower outside of Calgary, you have a great career. The compensation is very good, and the job is great!

xnay
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xnay »

In a seniority bid, do those within the FIR rank higher than those from another FIR, or is a combination of years in as well as current FIR?

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

xnay wrote:In a seniority bid, do those within the FIR rank higher than those from another FIR, or is a combination of years in as well as current FIR?
Seniority is the only thing that counts.

NJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NJ »

Seniority is treated equally on a national level, regional location does not give you a preference

Return to “ATS Question Forum”