YWG process

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Scott25
Rank 1
Rank 1

YWG process

Post by Scott25 »

First congrats to everyone who got offered for the may section of training. I applied back in December and had my phone interview about 3 weeks ago I'm waiting to hear back about my in person interview. How long was the process for you guys who just got accepted, I'm just curious as to how long I may be waiting. Thank you and congrats again
---------- ADS -----------

bobbert
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: YWG process

Post by bobbert »

FIR : YWG
Preference order (FSS,VFR,IFR): IFR, VFR, FSS
Online Application Date: Feb 14, 2015
In person assessment invitation date: Feb 17, 2015
In person assessment: Mar 12, 2015
In person assessment result: Mar 20, 2015
Phone Interview invite: March 21, 2015
Phone Interview: April 11, 2015
Phone Interview results : April 13, 2015
In person interview invite: May 20, 2015
In person Interview: May 22, 2015
In person results : June 3rd, 2015 --> IFR Stream
Timed out of IFR pool in December 2016.

This was my timeline, I timed out of the candidate pool. I didn't get a course invite.

Starting the whole process all over again.

Jabroni94
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jabroni94 »

FIR : YWG
Preference order (FSS,VFR,IFR): VFR, IFR, FSS
Online Application Date: Nov 19, 2015
In person assessment invitation date: Jan 6, 2016
In person assessment: Jan 19, 2016
In person assessment result: Jan 25, 2016
Phone Interview invite: Jan 26, 2016
Phone Interview: Feb 2, 2016
Phone Interview results : Feb 9, 2016
In person interview invite: July 20, 2016
In person Interview: July 29, 2016
In person results : August 6, 2016 --> Offered VFR course same day
Start of VFR Training : Sept 26, 2016

Deadwood
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Deadwood »

I don't know if it has changed, but the YWG ACC is probably the absolute worst for IFR in Canada. Lot of cliques, OT shenanigans, etc. In 08-12 the checkout rate was below 5% and that only counted trainees that made it to the floor, not even the ones who were cease-trained in the course/sector-specific.

YGX and YVR were seen as the best IFR ACCs in Canada for new members. YGX was above 90% for trainee checkout.

Just a word of warning to those applying to the YWG IFR stream.

Dutchpilotguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dutchpilotguy »

Deadwood wrote:I don't know if it has changed, but the YWG ACC is probably the absolute worst for IFR in Canada. Lot of cliques, OT shenanigans, etc. In 08-12 the checkout rate was below 5% and that only counted trainees that made it to the floor, not even the ones who were cease-trained in the course/sector-specific.

YGX and YVR were seen as the best IFR ACCs in Canada for new members. YGX was above 90% for trainee checkout.

Sounds like: "but hey, good luck with your process!"

All very impressively doomsday like statistics you cite, but let's try and see these people off to a good start and not shock and awe them with old guard statistics.

To those reading this who are in the process of applying, I wish you all of the best. Come prepared with a thorough and credible work ethic, clean up your deadwood..., and you too can be successful at Nav Canada. It's 2017... not "08-12" and frankly anyone perpetuating this is probably not worth getting sound professional guidance from.

I can easily cite countless others with great stories from the Winnipeg FIR.

Dutch
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Deadwood wrote:I don't know if it has changed, but the YWG ACC is probably the absolute worst for IFR in Canada. Lot of cliques, OT shenanigans, etc. In 08-12 the checkout rate was below 5% and that only counted trainees that made it to the floor, not even the ones who were cease-trained in the course/sector-specific.

Are you a Nav Can employee?

Dutchpilotguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dutchpilotguy »

Braun wrote:

I think the silence speaks for itself.. I suspect it's someone irritable with their own successes or lack thereof.

Dutch
navcanhopeful
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by navcanhopeful »

Dutchpilotguy wrote:
Braun wrote:

I think the silence speaks for itself.. I suspect it's someone irritable with their own successes or lack thereof.

The IFR success rate bounces around 40-50% I believe. You also must consider people often remove themselves for personal, medical reasons. These count toward the statistics. The sample size is also very low. ~10 IFR students a year. Let's just say on average. 1 fails generic, 1 fails Specialty, 1 removes themselves for personal reasons. 2-3 don't get a license on the floor.

The numbers really shouldn't shock anyone. Nav will do everything they can to feed you all the information you need to be successful, there comes a day where you need to be able to apply it by yourself. Not everyone has that ability.

Deadwood
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Deadwood »

Dutchpilotguy wrote:I think the silence speaks for itself.. I suspect it's someone irritable with their own successes or lack thereof.
Or someone who posted the facts known to them. Feel free to cast aspersions though, that's what most of this forum is really good at.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Deadwood wrote:
Dutchpilotguy wrote:I think the silence speaks for itself.. I suspect it's someone irritable with their own successes or lack thereof.
Or someone who posted the facts known to them. Feel free to cast aspersions though, that's what most of this forum is really good at.
Funny I thought this forum was really helpful. Where else do applicants and ATC get to interact? Also your "facts" are wrong.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”