"Mandatory IFR Route" inlcudes a mystery waypoint

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

dougj
Rank 1
Rank 1

"Mandatory IFR Route" inlcudes a mystery waypoint

Post by dougj »

I was thoroughly confused when flight planning an IFR flight to St Hubert (CYHU) from the east. The mandatory routing includes ...VIKBU SILVI GORUX OMBRE MAIRE. I could not see GORUX on the LO6 chart. Silvi and Ombre are only 16 miles apart. Gorux does not appear in any plate for CYHU. I assumed it was an old waypoint that had been deleted, with the CFS ifr route not yet updated. We ended up going to Sherbrooke for bladder reasons , but while flying through Montreal Terminal I heard another aircraft "cleared to GORUX".?? I finally found it listed on the OMBRE 6 ARR for CYUL. GORUX and Ombre are only 4 miles apart which seems unneeded. Why would this waypoint be listed as mandatory when no one flying to CYHU could know where it is? Would this be an error on Navcanada's part? What am I missing?
Name withheld so I wouldn't get violated for not putting GORUX in my flight plan!
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: "Mandatory IFR Route" inlcudes a mystery waypoint

Post by photofly »

I don’t think you can be sanctioned for not filing a mandatory routing. File direct, and follow the clearance :)

BTW foreflight has no problem with GORUX, probably the IFR GPS doesn’t either.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

dougj wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:51 pm I was thoroughly confused when flight planning an IFR flight to St Hubert (CYHU) from the east. The mandatory routing includes ...VIKBU SILVI GORUX OMBRE MAIRE. I could not see GORUX on the LO6 chart. Silvi and Ombre are only 16 miles apart. Gorux does not appear in any plate for CYHU. I assumed it was an old waypoint that had been deleted, with the CFS ifr route not yet updated. We ended up going to Sherbrooke for bladder reasons , but while flying through Montreal Terminal I heard another aircraft "cleared to GORUX".?? I finally found it listed on the OMBRE 6 ARR for CYUL. GORUX and Ombre are only 4 miles apart which seems unneeded. Why would this waypoint be listed as mandatory when no one flying to CYHU could know where it is? Would this be an error on Navcanada's part? What am I missing?
Name withheld so I wouldn't get violated for not putting GORUX in my flight plan!
Hey there,

GORUX is on the OMBRE ARR to merge the two transitions (South is Turboprop/piston and north is jet) before OKOPO which is the intrail fix for CYUL. Meaning all aicraft should be in sequence by OKOPO. The aircraft you heard being cleared to GORUX was most likely an IFR arrival for CYUL. Just keep in mind also this is outisde montreal terminal airspace and you were on MTL center's frequency. Not all fixes are on the LO charts as it would be overwhelming. GORUX exists in the database but it is possible it isn't represented on the LO as it is, like you said, on the OMBRE arrival.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

In the real world, as a light airplane, file direct and take what they give you.

The only place I can recall being given an arrival transition with a ton of included waypoints, is White Plains NY, probably because of the proximity to NYC airspace.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”