A Resume Analyzer to optimize for ATS

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tony77
Rank 0
Rank 0

A Resume Analyzer to optimize for ATS

Post by tony77 »

Hey guys,

I’m trying to find some example code or perhaps open-source projects that I can use to scan my CV / Resume and compare it to job offers and see where to optimize.

The idea is that 75% of resumes get rejected by Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) that companies use to pre-screen a CV. That means even if you have a great CV and skills for the job, you might still never get an interview because your resume never reached the hiring manager. If you can optimize your CV to pass the ATS, then you have improved your chances.

There are a bunch of paid services that help you optimize your CV and linkedin profile, but i’m looking for something self-hosted. Basic python scripts or something would already help a lot, a GUI isn’t really needed. I’m also open to developing this further (as an open-source tool perhaps, if anyone else is interested), but right now i’m looking for some starting points based on the behavior of common ATS software.
Thank Youtweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by tony77 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: A Resume Analyzer to optimize for ATS

Post by AirFrame »

I was told by someone who worked for one of these HR companies, that a good start is making your resume a PDF, and in the PDF metadata include the entire text of the job posting. That way you get every keyword that was in the job posting, but none of it is visible when you open the PDF to just read it normally. You'd have to dig into the properties to find it, but an ATS will parse the document looking for the text and will find it.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “ATS Question Forum”