Transferring through terminal zones

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Transferring through terminal zones

Post by rotorspeed »

What does one zone such as yvr terminal know about my aircraft when I'm transferring from fx Victoria terminal. Crossing the strait I still had to say request to yvr even though I had to be approved ahead of time from Vic terminal for my altitude request. This is vfr
---------- ADS -----------

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Transferring through terminal zones

Post by praveen4143 »

My understanding is that if ATC creates a strip on you, it will typically have A/C type, registration/ident, squawk code, routing (if you provide it to them) among other things. More so if you filed a flight plan or if they have a master on your aircraft. But I find your question not very clear. Could you elaborate a little more?

PS: You might have more mileage on your question regarding ATC if you post it on the ATC forums.

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

Going from Nanaimo I contacted Vic terminal and requested route and altitude over the strait , they cleared me and was then eventually transferred to Vancouver terminal, I identified and said altitude they then said say request. You can't always get straight across the strait especially if there is ifr traffic. I can't imagine Vic would clear me across with requested altitude if they knew Vancouver would say no. So I'm wondering why they're still asking for request.
By the way can I transfer this post to atc

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

Thought someone would be able to answer

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I fly mainland to YCD and back almost every month. If I remember correctly I have come across this issue once. I'm always on a flight plan, always request a high altitude and short route on initial contact, and usually get the altitude but a longer route. I think I remember switching to YVR TML once and the controller asked me to "state request" so I just told him "request 5500".

So maybe it's just one goofy controller who has come up with a strange phraseology or procedure.

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

Yeah that's exactly what I did. I guess I'm just wondering if the first controller gives you the ok than the second being yvr in this instance should know what you're doing. Obviously you need that altitude to be within gliding distance in a 172 or similar. I was told they won't let you across into yvr airspace if there is ifr traffic in the area. In the states if you have flight following then the next controller knows where youre going you just identify and state altitude.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Have a look at the YVR VTA chart VFR routes between East Point and Point Roberts and Cherry Point. VFR aircraft are guaranteed a minimum of 4500' on those routes. Don't accept 2500' across the straight, there's no need. That battle was fought and won about 25 years ago.

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

It was part of my croos country, that is the way it was planned, if I didn't get clearance then go back over then i would fly across Texada island. The reason for asking this question is also for future flying purposes, does one terminal know my requested route or do I have to repeat it to them.

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

ahramin wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:07 am VFR aircraft are guaranteed a minimum of 4500' on those routes. Don't accept 2500' across the straight, there's no need. That battle was fought and won about 25 years ago.
This is all traffic permitting. Service is always provided first to IFR aircraft - VFR itinerants are lower on the list.

You can get capped at 2500' southbound all the way across if there are northbound IFR aircraft that will conflict. Vancouver endeavours to provide 4500' with the caveat always being TRAFFIC PERMITTING. If that is unacceptable to you, you can try your luck with Victoria via Cherry Point.
rotorspeed wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:49 pm It was part of my croos country, that is the way it was planned, if I didn't get clearance then go back over then i would fly across Texada island. The reason for asking this question is also for future flying purposes, does one terminal know my requested route or do I have to repeat it to them.
You will always be provided service across the strait with either terminals even if they are restricted. VFR aircraft are not handed off from one sector to the next, so chances are (unless the situation is odd and coordination is accomplished beforehand), the next controller may not know what your request is.
rotorspeed wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:34 pm Going from Nanaimo I contacted Vic terminal and requested route and altitude over the strait , they cleared me and was then eventually transferred to Vancouver terminal, I identified and said altitude they then said say request. You can't always get straight across the strait especially if there is ifr traffic. I can't imagine Vic would clear me across with requested altitude if they knew Vancouver would say no. So I'm wondering why they're still asking for request.
Victoria may clear you across at 4500' northbound because the conflicting IFR traffic often comes from them and they know the picture. "say request" is not limited to only altitude, but also where you are going. Controllers need to know what exactly you are looking for so they know how they can/cannot route you.

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

Yeah that was my main question if you are handed off or do you need to repeat request. Was just wondering for future flights. Just a side point Nanaimo radio asked me what my intentions were when I was leaving their airspace, when I called Vic terminal they already new my altitude and route requset

Return to “ATS Question Forum”