ATC Layoffs?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

RunwayWindAltimer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: ATC Layoffs?

Post by RunwayWindAltimer »

wordstwice wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:01 pm I don’t think any controllers will get laid off, not IFR controllers anyways. Nav Canada offered early retirement to controllers a few months ago and they had to stop because too many were taking it which left the company even shorter staffed than it was before.

Also, there are a lot of people still employed at Nav Canada that are at risk. Laying off all the trainees made the entire training department at the company redundant.
Did they not go through all ERI phases they initially planned? When did they stop?
---------- ADS -----------

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

Don’t quote me but I recall they were about the start the last phase and didn’t because enough people took advantage. I was right beside someone who was waiting for that phase to go into action and was willing to take it but never got the offer.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

wordstwice wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:50 pm Don’t quote me but I recall they were about the start the last phase and didn’t because enough people took advantage. I was right beside someone who was waiting for that phase to go into action and was willing to take it but never got the offer.
They did not offer Phases 4 or 5 to ATC because they did not want to offer it to everyone that would have been available in those phases, afraid that if they did, too many from one place would leave them too short.

VFRDreamer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VFRDreamer »

Trainee here that got cut yesterday. It’s a painful time, and the gov needs to step in finally to provide more aid. When air traffic recovers there isn’t going to be enough staff. It’s all rather sudden and horrendous.

And the controllers are going to eventually be cut too I think. I imagine they will reshuffle first and than decide. They cut 200 people in one day...probably will do it in bits and pieces.

-VFRDreamer
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

VFRDreamer wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:32 am Trainee here that got cut yesterday. It’s a painful time, and the gov needs to step in finally to provide more aid. When air traffic recovers there isn’t going to be enough staff. It’s all rather sudden and horrendous.

And the controllers are going to eventually be cut too I think. I imagine they will reshuffle first and than decide. They cut 200 people in one day...probably will do it in bits and pieces.
Really sorry you got laid off. It sucks. No one wants this obviously. That being said I would be very, very surprised in controllers came to be cut. They will have to transfer and reoptimize units first. Maybe after that. Hopefully revenues will recover a bit before we get there. good luck, I hope this thing turns around and some of you can get back one day.

wapitibaby
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wapitibaby »

I don't know what the projections hold for future trafic, but until Nav has a guarantee that trafic will not come back up for a certain period of time that's when they will lay off controllers, not before. They are too scared of trafic coming back and not being able to provide service at a 100% level that's why they did not lay off in the first place. And if they do lay off controllers they will be called back when the trafic comes up again (before there is any new training), just like what is happening to pilots, we are only months behind them

clr4takeoff
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by clr4takeoff »

Well, now we have the finale answer....
Some IFR (aerea control center) controllers will be laid off 6 month from now. Don't know hom many though. More than a hundred from what I heard.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

clr4takeoff wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:53 am Well, now we have the finale answer....
Some IFR (aerea control center) controllers will be laid off 6 month from now. Don't know hom many though. More than a hundred from what I heard.
Number is about right. A lot of units are affected. Gander is the hardest hit. They will deploy controllers to currently understaffed units and we’ll see what happens with the rest. Unless there a is major uptick in movements there will most likely be layoffs in the future. They haven’t specifically said how many are being laid off. They also offered more departure incentive packages to make some space.

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

49 IFR controllers served noticed.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

wordstwice wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:25 pm 49 IFR controllers served noticed.
I honestly thought there were more. Are you sure about the number?

Mayor_McCheese
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mayor_McCheese »

Braun wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:11 pm
I heard 50, so 49 probably more accurate.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Mayor_McCheese wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:19 pm
Braun wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:11 pm
I heard 50, so 49 probably more accurate.
49 it is. Just got the CATCA email. :(

VFRDreamer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VFRDreamer »

Shoot I know it is majorly selfish but being laid off trainee in the first wave of lat offs makes me more and more scared as more get laid off. Last ones out I assume first ones back, certainly fully licensed controllers before a trainee. This is such a friggin mess. I can’t even imagine long term what the industry will look like.

-VFRDreamer
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

VFRDreamer wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:52 pm
Shoot I know it is majorly selfish but being laid off trainee in the first wave of lat offs makes me more and more scared as more get laid off. Last ones out I assume first ones back, certainly fully licensed controllers before a trainee. This is such a friggin mess. I can’t even imagine long term what the industry will look like.
Also keep in mind there are several Level of Service investigations happening. When the results come out I wouldn’t be surprised if there quite a few VFR controller layoffs as well.

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

If all the LOS reviews come back and end up shutting down towers, I think any surplus controllers will get displaced to short-staffed towers. Just not sure how the company can afford to pay for relocation, and take the cost/risk of possibly having a controller CT'd if they don't make it. And with the optimal staffing strategy, anyone at over-staffed towers even without an LOS should be worried.

Even with surplus, we will still remain short for the long term. Dreamer is, unfortunately, correct - last ones out are likely the first ones back. If it plays out the way I think it will, ab initio training in certain areas will be on pause for a very long time. The union ought to go ballistic if they bring back ab initios while there are still controllers on the streets.

wapitibaby
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wapitibaby »

I'm wondering here did the airlines layoff pilots the correct way (respecting the seniority) ? Or are you like us wondering if your name will come out of the sorting hat of layoffs? Or are the companies not giving a @#$! about your seniority and pretending that laying off people will actually make a difference to justify saving 5 days of losses?

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

stabilizedapproach wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:01 pm If all the LOS reviews come back and end up shutting down towers, I think any surplus controllers will get displaced to short-staffed towers. Just not sure how the company can afford to pay for relocation, and take the cost/risk of possibly having a controller CT'd if they don't make it. And with the optimal staffing strategy, anyone at over-staffed towers even without an LOS should be worried.

Even with surplus, we will still remain short for the long term. Dreamer is, unfortunately, correct - last ones out are likely the first ones back. If it plays out the way I think it will, ab initio training in certain areas will be on pause for a very long time. The union ought to go ballistic if they bring back ab initios while there are still controllers on the streets.
Not sure how last one out first one back is unfortunate. It's just logical. What's unfortunate is that there are layoffs in the first place and that our union never gave us a chance to vote on proposed salary freezes/cuts to save these jobs. Shame on CATCA.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

wapitibaby wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:22 am I'm wondering here did the airlines layoff pilots the correct way (respecting the seniority) ? Or are you like us wondering if your name will come out of the sorting hat of layoffs? Or are the companies not giving a @#$! about your seniority and pretending that laying off people will actually make a difference to justify saving 5 days of losses?
The laidoff people in silos. I.E. Every ACC was treated separately and some units with those ACC's were protected from layoffs. Usually, terminals.

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

Braun wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:45 am Not sure how last one out first one back is unfortunate. It's just logical. What's unfortunate is that there are layoffs in the first place and that our union never gave us a chance to vote on proposed salary freezes/cuts to save these jobs. Shame on CATCA.

I think he meant unfortunate for anyone who was “first out”.

Since we don’t know what (if anything) the company proposed to CATCA, I find it hard to call the approach shameful.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

A346Dude wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:55 am
Braun wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:45 am Not sure how last one out first one back is unfortunate. It's just logical. What's unfortunate is that there are layoffs in the first place and that our union never gave us a chance to vote on proposed salary freezes/cuts to save these jobs. Shame on CATCA.

I think he meant unfortunate for anyone who was “first out”.

Since we don’t know what (if anything) the company proposed to CATCA, I find it hard to call the approach shameful.
I happen to know that they did propose a deal of this sort. Also I've heard it from reliable sources within the union and from the other side.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”