Control Tower Tagalong?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Control Tower Tagalong?

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Hi,

I'm wondering what the possibility is of touring an ATS centre somewhere, mid-pandemic?

It's not that I'd want a "tour" - just, to sit there like a fly on the wall, and see what controllers deal with on a daily basis. I think it would be a valuable component to add to my training. This question has been asked before here, but not since Covid hit us, from what I can tell. I'm wondering what the possibility of it is these days.

For me, I'm specifically wondering about either the YTZ or YOO towers. Hell, I'd drive up to Timmins (from CNC3) to see what they do there. But I wouldn't even know who to ask.
---------- ADS -----------

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Control Tower Tagalong?

Post by Pilotdaddy »

Just prior to the March lockdown, I too was looking at this. Tower over at CYOO used to allow tours regularly, as I was told. Ever since covid, said tours have been paused. I'd guess that's probably going to be the same for all towers around Toronto, maybe all throughout Canada really.

If you ever manage to get one booked, let me know!

Flightgame
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flightgame »

I really doubt they would do that these days. Most towers are working with reduced staffing because of covid.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I belive NavCanada official policy is no visits, due to COVID-19 precautions. Prior to that, your instructor would have been the person to arrange a tower visit.
t's not that I'd want a "tour" - just, to sit there like a fly on the wall, and see what controllers deal with on a daily basis. I
There’s a big sign on the wall in the CYTZ tower: “visits 20 mins max.”

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I used to call up the FSS or tower all the time and ask if they had time for a short visit. Made a few friends in places I used to layover from that. I'm sure they're restricted now, but I highly recommend just giving your local ATS unit a call when this is over.

Mayor_McCheese
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mayor_McCheese »

As of right now, the answer would be no. Access to the towers/ACCs is still pretty restricted. Many Nav employees are still working from home, including some that were previously based at some towers, but aren't controllers/FSS.

I imagine it will be quite some time before anyone who isn't absolutely necessary will be allowed in for any reason.

Driving Comet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Driving Comet »

Unit managers aren't even allowed into the building. You're not going to get a tour any time soon.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”