Strap In Folks

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

BoardManPaid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Strap In Folks

Post by BoardManPaid »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nav-ca ... -1.5818025

A day most thought/hoped would never come.

I have my own personal thoughts but will wait until I see if others want to discuss it before unloading. Thanks Justin..
---------- ADS -----------

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Strap In Folks

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

"Nav Canada's board of directors has cut its fees by 20 per cent, and executives and managers have dropped their salaries by up to 10 per cent, Girard wrote."

Those managers really stepped up to the plate by voluntarily giving UP TO 10% of their salaries to help avoid layoffs.

ErrPlane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ErrPlane »

I'm not an expert, I don't work in the industry, I'm just an interested third party observer, but...

It strikes me that the more ATCs that get laid off or bought out, the more likely we will see capacity issues when the rebound eventually happens, and that will end up hampering the recovery. Airlines will be able to ramp up capacity relatively quickly and Nav will be left holding the bag with their extremely limited training seats, long onboarding times for new controllers, and relatively high drop-out/failure rates.

I'm absolutely stunned that the government has ponied up cash for airports, but nothing yet for airlines and Nav. No need for airports if there's no airplanes flying, and without the airlines AND Nav, the sky will be pretty lonely.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

ErrPlane wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:27 pm I'm not an expert, I don't work in the industry, I'm just an interested third party observer, but...

Airlines will be able to ramp up capacity relatively quickly and Nav will be left holding the bag with their extremely limited training seats, long onboarding times for new controllers, and relatively high drop-out/failure rates.
Using industry specific terms really makes you sound like an outsider.

ErrPlane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ErrPlane »

What terms are industry specific? The extent of my experience in this business was less than a year as a flight paramedic well over a decade ago. Aside from that I'm just a fan of things that fly.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Just a trolly joke. My apologies. I don’t want to see anyone get laid off either.

thenoflyzone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thenoflyzone »

This thread should be merged with the ATC layoffs thread.

Mayor_McCheese
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mayor_McCheese »

Return to “ATS Question Forum”