Newbie questions regarding IFR vs VFR?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

WilliamBrown
Rank 0
Rank 0

Newbie questions regarding IFR vs VFR?

Post by WilliamBrown »

Newbie hopeful future ATC here, and I just have a few questions.

first of all, I see a lot of info on pay for IFR, but what about VFR (and FSS)? Just how much lower is it? Is it just the base rate that's lower? What about premiums and other bonuses?

Secondly, if VFR requires seeing, does it require better eyesight? Also, does that mean Towers shut down at night, meaning no night shift? While IFR goes on for 24 hours?

Also, if IFR is just giving strict rules/guidelines to pilots while VFR gives a lot more leeway, doesn't that mean VFR is a lot more stressful because pilots have more room to do something stupid? Is there a lot more communication between pilot and controller in VFR vs IFR?

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Newbie questions regarding IFR vs VFR?

Post by wordstwice »

Every ATC unit is assigned a pay grade. All IFR units are at the highest grade and the VFR towers are graded according to how busy they are. Places like Toronto Pearson, Vancouver, and several others, are paid the same as IFR units while some smaller Towers will be paid less. ATC premiums work the same way and vary based on how busy the unit it.

Although VFR requires looking out the window more than using radar the eyesight requirements are exactly the same for both jobs. Look at the Transport Canada aviation medical website for more information.

Each job has their own stress and it presents itself in various ways. Also, the way the stress is felt varies from person to person, I wouldn’t characterize the reduction in stress like you explained. I’ve worked both IFR and VFR and I found that they both have their issues and you need to deal with that stress regardless of the job. Some people think VFR is easier than IFR but that wasn’t my experience, I found them equal but very different. I’m much more suited for IFR so I actually found that easier.

Lastly, the amount of communication doesn’t vary whether it’s an IFR or VFR unit, it varies by how busy that unit is. Work at CZBB on a sunny Saturday and you’ll talk constantly. Work ground control at CYYZ during a snow event and you’ll be non stop talking. In contrast, work a high level sector in an IFR unit and you’re actual radio work could be very minimal. Point is it varies greatly from place to place.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Newbie questions regarding IFR vs VFR?

Post by Braun »

Some towers have limited hours and others operate 24/7/365. It has nothing to do with night time just what the traffic levels are and what service is required at a specific airport.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”