Descent out of controled airspace

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

SQ

Descent out of controled airspace

Post by SQ »

AIM _ RAC _ 9.4

what does mean, in a operational point of view = "the MEA will be protected in the event pilot does not mean visual conditions at the moca " ?

will ATC provide separation with other IFR trafic ?

have one of you - TC or pilot- ever been in that situation, how and why ?

thanks a lot for sharing experience
SQ

PS : I would like to spend 1 day or 2 in a control center, or tower. I'm flying in CYHU, working at YUL, can someone give me info on how to proceed or the person to contact overthere ?
thanks again.
---------- ADS -----------

WRX
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WRX »

Correct me if I am wrong

Once you are cleared to descend out of controlled airspace in vincinity of CXXX airport(uncontrolled). the MEA for the sector/route is protected, meaning that ATC is not going to clear other IFR traffic for the same airport, unless you cancel IFR or make an arrival report.

You can still cancel IFR and be in IMC in uncontrolled airspace.

WRX
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WRX »

It happens almost everyday for us, since we go to a lot of uncontrolled airport / airspace.

the clearance you will get is something like this

"FABC, you are cleared to descend out of controlled airspace in vincinity of CXXX airport for an approach"
or skip the approach part. then ATC usually asks you how you will be closing the flight plan.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

Their are 3 scenarios we will see. First if the airport is in uncontrolled airspace beneath or very close to an airway we will protect the MEA for you until such time as we have an arrival call or you miss and climb back up to the MEA. Second, if the airport underlies controlled airspace with the IF in controlled airpace (CYCH), we will protect the missed approach altitude that corresponds with the approach you are doing. No one will be permitted to shoot an approach until you are on, cancel or are otherwise out of the way. The third sort is like in northern New Brunswick (CZBF). The airspace is uncontrolled below 12500. In this case we don't protect anything for you. After clearing you out and advising you of the minimum IFR altitude applicable,and after passing any relevant traffic, we can and do send other IFR aircraft into the same airport.

SQ

Post by SQ »

thanks a lot

Return to “ATS Question Forum”