Transponder code

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Campanola
Rank 3
Rank 3

Transponder code

Post by Campanola »

When flying high level from the Reykjavik airspace to the Canadian airspace, should we set the transponder to 2000 or we should keep the previous code until we receive a new one?
---------- ADS -----------

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

The AIM says:

11.14 Operation of Transponders

The pilot shall operate the transponder at all times on Mode A and C, Code 2000, during flight in the NAT Region. However, the last ATC assigned Code must be retained for a period of 30 min after entry into NAT airspace unless otherwise directed by ATC.

Campanola
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Campanola »

kevenv wrote:The AIM says:

11.14 Operation of Transponders

The pilot shall operate the transponder at all times on Mode A and C, Code 2000, during flight in the NAT Region. However, the last ATC assigned Code must be retained for a period of 30 min after entry into NAT airspace unless otherwise directed by ATC.
Any idea about what should be done in my example? (Not in the NAT, but but after entering the Canadian airspace from the Reykjavik airspace).

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

AIM 1.9.2
Pilots of IFR aircraft within controlled high level airspace shall adjust their transponder to reply on Mode A, Code 2000 and on Mode C unless otherwise instructed by ATC.

In Moncton FIR, I work FL280 and below. I have seen a/c come off of the ocean south of me using 2000 as well as a/c using a discreet code. Personally, it doesn't matter to me as I still have to identify you and if appropriate assign you the discreet code that my computer tells me to use if it's different from the one you are on. From an ADIZ point of view, I don't know whether it's an issue or not, but I've never become aware of any problems.

Hope this was helpful.

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

This should clarify your misunderstanding a little bit:

We get flights all the time coming up from NY Ocean most with code 2000, some with a discreet code, but it doesn't really matter most of the time because if you fly into Canadian radar airspace, we will have to issue you a new code anyway.

That being said every so often we'll get an airplane coming from NY on a discreet code which just happens to already be in our system, so you might tag up with a different ident is all, which would be straightened away as soon as you check in.

Campanola
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Campanola »

Thanks a lot.

Arriving from Europe via Iceland and Greenland, I was flying for several hours over the NWT with the code assigned by Reykjavik. I was wondering if it was right. Some pilots was squaking 2000 after entering in the Canadian airspace and others was keeping the previous code. It seems like both are ok...

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

Fact is, if you're non-radar there's not really much of a way anyone can tell, I would think being on code 2000 would be the right way in your case anyway.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”