VFR Training

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

bucks
Rank 1
Rank 1

VFR Training

Post by bucks »

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the upcoming VFR courses at NCTI.. I'm currently on the waiting list for both IFR and VFR and am looking for a bit of a timeline..
---------- ADS -----------

Pounder YWH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pounder YWH »

I too seek such knowledge.

"If you lend someone $20 and you never see them again, it was probably worth it."
tower controller
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tower controller »

From what I can see there is a VFR course in NCTI now that finishes in Dec, there's another one starting early Jan, and the next one after that is starting late May of 08.

There aren't any names associated with the Jan course yet so is could be that there are still slots available.

That is the VFR courses.

IFR courses are another thing entirely and I don't have that information here.

Hope that helps

bucks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bucks »

That's very helpful.. so its possible that there is still a chance to get loaded on the Jan course? how much notice to they normally give before a course do to all the pre course study package?

Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pygmie »

The Jan and May courses have all been selected.

bucks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bucks »

The Jan and May courses have all been selected
how far ahead are they selecting candidates? Do the people on the May course already know?

Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pygmie »

From what I understand the calls go out about 6 months or so ahead of the start date, sometimes more.

Sean Connery
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sean Connery »

I don't know exactly how this factors into training, but NavCanada has just issued a memo regarding a reduction in VFR staffing. 20 positions are to be cut, mostly from the east side of the country. Early retirement has been offered, and if not, they will force move 20 of the junior staff.

I would assume that they would slow VFR training, if they have a surplus of controllers, which they claim to have.

Unless, of course, there is a hidden agenda.

Pounder YWH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pounder YWH »

That sucks. I sure hope that's just a bad rumour. :?
Gonna be a lot of disappointed test-writers.
Sounds like that's par for the course though....

"If you lend someone $20 and you never see them again, it was probably worth it."
kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

I'm not sure how you got the idea that what Sean C wrote is a bad rumor. He told you that the company just released a memo on the topic. What he said is fact. If the senior person doesn't take the buyout, a move will be offered to everyone to a same grade or lower tower in order of seniority. If no one jumps at it, the junior person(s) will be moved to where the company wants them. Period. There are some chronically understaffed towers and some with a surplus. This is how the company chose to deal with the situation. Welcome to NavCanada.

bucks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bucks »

So if I can boil this all down .. basically if you havn't heard that your loaded on the May course already.. then you're pretty much out of luck for a while?

Pounder YWH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pounder YWH »

kevenv wrote:I'm not sure how you got the idea that what Sean C wrote is a bad rumor.--
When he intimated that there may be a "hidden agenda" certainly gave the impression that it was not set in stone. That's how I 'got the idea'...

Sean YOW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sean YOW »

Is there a chance that someone may have been selected for the May course and not yet notified?

Also I recently changed my first choice from IFR to VFR......will that affect my chances of being offered an IFR course?

tower controller
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tower controller »

From what I was told this afternoon, the May course has not been selected as of yet. Some seats on the course have been slated for people who are already employees of the company, but all the seats for May haven't been filled. There are also a few seats in January up in the air as not everybody offered seats have completed their paperwork yet, ie medicals.

The seats slated for employee's are subject to "operational requirements" for the employees in current jobs, in other words if it's going to cost a lot of overtime to backfill their position while they are training for ATC they aren't going to get a seat........

In a convoluted kind of way, the buyout's the company is offering is probably going to mean more training rather than less. Everyone who was offered a buyout is already eligible for retirement, this is just an incentive to get em out the door and get some new people in.

bucks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bucks »

Thanks for clearing that up.. back to waiting by my phone :)

Sean Connery
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sean Connery »

Speaking of the buyout, I'm not in a position to take it, but I wouldn't anyways, it's ridiculously low, almost insulting. I know people who've been bought out of grocery jobs for twice that amount.

Unless you'd already planned to retire this year anyways.

NJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NJ »

Half of the postings that they mentioned with surplus positions have had ab-initio trainees sent there from NCTI in the past couple years. Their planning problems shouldn't be our problem to fix.

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

Unfortunately, by the looks of things those people who are applying or have active applications for the next 8-10 months or so will see a lot of changes and confusion happening.

Speaking as someone who applied through SHL and got in, now qualified. I can tell anyone here that it's quite the "show" to put it mildly, the recruitment portion I mean. I very much doubt it's going to get any better for the next 10 months or so

Return to “ATS Question Forum”