What's the procedure

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

eddyb123
Rank 2
Rank 2

What's the procedure

Post by eddyb123 »

When leaving Springbank for Saskatoon what's the procedure for getting through Calgary airspace?
---------- ADS -----------

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: What's the procedure

Post by Oxi »

Call up the terminal frequency before you enter whatever airspace level it is. Tell them where you are and what you want to do and follow instructions. If in doubt as your instructor for help.

eddyb123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by eddyb123 »

So I ask a question in ATS and this is the answer I get. Thank you Oxi for your response everybody else must be busy. I'm from CYYJ and am just looking for some sort of heads up on the scenario going east form CYWB. I get the CFS PRO for departing but never having been in the area I thought someone could reasure me somehow lol.

turbo-prop
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by turbo-prop »

Oxi did tell you!!! Once you depart terminal will tell you where they want you and then when you are east of YYC and out of the way you will just go direct YXE.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

eddyb123 wrote:So I ask a question in ATS and this is the answer I get. Thank you Oxi for your response everybody else must be busy. I'm from CYYJ and am just looking for some sort of heads up on the scenario going east form CYWB. I get the CFS PRO for departing but never having been in the area I thought someone could reasure me somehow lol.
Within 3 hours of you posting your question in the ATS section, you got an answer. What is it about that answer you don't like? Why would anyone else reply when the answer you got was correct and to the point. What kind of reassurance were you looking for?

burly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by burly »

BW tower will send you north, most likely up lochend road at 5500. Then they will say "Contact Terminal on 128.7". You call us, and we tell you how high you can go and your routing. It couldnt be more simple. Expect to go about 10 miles north of Airdrie.

burly
yc terminal

eddyb123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by eddyb123 »

Thank to all, burly's answer does it for me.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Off topic a bit, but last week I heard a couple occasions where guys were arguing and bickering with controllers coming and going from YYC. I heard one controller on departure say " Do you realize you are arguing with a controller" to some guy who was being a douche about changing altitudes.

You guys in departure and arrival must just want to throw some of these guys in a hold and leave them there till they drop out of the sky some days!

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

PointyEngine wrote:Off topic a bit, but last week I heard a couple occasions where guys were arguing and bickering with controllers coming and going from YYC. I heard one controller on departure say " Do you realize you are arguing with a controller" to some guy who was being a douche about changing altitudes.

You guys in departure and arrival must just want to throw some of these guys in a hold and leave them there till they drop out of the sky some days!
That would create a lot of paper work.

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

eddyb123 wrote: I thought someone could reasure me somehow
You're gonna be fine dear.
Everything is going to be allright.
:smt058

You're welcome.

Think ahead or fall behind!
cyeg66
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cyeg66 »

Perhaps if your thread title had a little more detail eg. "Procedure YBW-YXE VFR" or something of the like, it would garner the necessary attention. Simply stating "What's The Procedure" told me nothing about the topic and thus I never clicked on it. In any event, you got your answer. Besides, when you're operating in busy class C airspaces, they'll tell you what to do, for the most part. But I don't fault you for wanting a few answers beforehand :) which a lot of guys wouldn't bother to do.
PointyEngine wrote:Off topic a bit, but last week I heard a couple occasions where guys were arguing and bickering with controllers coming and going from YYC. I heard one controller on departure say " Do you realize you are arguing with a controller" to some guy who was being a douche about changing altitudes.

It depends on how irritable a controller is. It's important to remember that 90% of us are kind, affable, and always professional. There *may* be a dillhole or two that give the rest of us a bad name because of how poorly they deal with pilots making tiny errors. If you talk to an ass like that, don't let it get under your skin. Just hope he's got the day off when you happen to be flying next. Trust me when I say we all roll our eyes as much as you do when listening to his disparaging commentary on pilots' flying skills (or what he sees as a lack thereof).

Turn right/left heading XXX, vectors for the hell of it.
seploss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by seploss »

It depends on how irritable a controller is. It's important to remember that 90% of us are kind, affable, and always professional. There *may* be a dillhole or two that give the rest of us a bad name because of how poorly they deal with pilots making tiny errors. If you talk to an ass like that, don't let it get under your skin. Just hope he's got the day off when you happen to be flying next. Trust me when I say we all roll our eyes as much as you do when listening to his disparaging commentary on pilots' flying skills (or what he sees as a lack thereof).[/quote]

"Sir, there was a direction of turn in that clearance"

dirtysidedown
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dirtysidedown »

To put you at even more ease...

I flew direct from CYOW to CYTZ. Great flight from one busy airspace to another, simply not being afraid to ask the kind person on the other side of the radio will do wonders.

I got to speak with many people (in order)...
- Ottawa Clearance
- Ottawa Ground
- Ottawa Tower
- Ottawa Terminal
- Montreal Center (flight following)
- Trenton Terminal (flight following)
- Toronto Center (flight following)
- Oshawa Tower (transiting their zone)
- Toronto Terminal
- City Center Tower
- Citer Center Ground

If I wasn't sure of what was going to happen next or if I wanted to confirm something, I asked them. They were quite nice all the way through.

My wife got a good chuckle out when I asked CYTZ Tower to fly north of the CN tower to show her the city, but got the negative as a response. Oh well, you don't get if you don't ask.

EDIT: And they told me exactly what they wanted me to do once they knew what I was hoping to do.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

dirtysidedown wrote:To put you at even more ease...

I flew direct from CYOW to CYTZ. Great flight from one busy airspace to another, simply not being afraid to ask the kind person on the other side of the radio will do wonders.

I got to speak with many people (in order)...
- Ottawa Clearance
- Ottawa Ground
- Ottawa Tower
- Ottawa Terminal
- Montreal Center (flight following)
- Trenton Terminal (flight following)
- Toronto Center (flight following)
- Oshawa Tower (transiting their zone)
- Toronto Terminal
- City Center Tower
- Citer Center Ground

If I wasn't sure of what was going to happen next or if I wanted to confirm something, I asked them. They were quite nice all the way through.

My wife got a good chuckle out when I asked CYTZ Tower to fly north of the CN tower to show her the city, but got the negative as a response. Oh well, you don't get if you don't ask.

EDIT: And they told me exactly what they wanted me to do once they knew what I was hoping to do.
DS,

Now you can do a flight to NYC. Same deal except even more handoffs. However I found everyone in both NY and DC on different trips extremely professional and helpful. (although extremely busy as well). Just follow your directions and ask if a request (like different altitude) is needed. Works the same all over.

dirtysidedown
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dirtysidedown »

Rookie50 wrote:Now you can do a flight to NYC. Same deal except even more handoffs. However I found everyone in both NY and DC on different trips extremely professional and helpful. (although extremely busy as well). Just follow your directions and ask if a request (like different altitude) is needed. Works the same all over.
Still scared as h.... but i guess once you do it once, it is as easy as pie. Just don't want to get shot down :lol:

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

dirtysidedown wrote:
Rookie50 wrote:Now you can do a flight to NYC. Same deal except even more handoffs. However I found everyone in both NY and DC on different trips extremely professional and helpful. (although extremely busy as well). Just follow your directions and ask if a request (like different altitude) is needed. Works the same all over.
Still scared as h.... but i guess once you do it once, it is as easy as pie. Just don't want to get shot down :lol:
DS,

You wouldn't. On top of the eapis customs requirements, I recommend a full verbal briefing from the US wxbrief -- within 24 hours of your flight. They would go through your route and alert you to any TFR's -- and it's all on tape, which protects you somewhat from any briefing error.

Then you go, on a flight plan, and stay in continuous flight following -- they will hand you off -- and they will keep you out of trouble -- just don't hesitate to indicate "unfamiliar with the airspace" --and they will slow things down a bit.

Do a little reading up -- " like copa cross border" open an Eapis account, do a cross border to upstate NY somewhere for lunch. It's not that far and will "break the ice".

dirtysidedown
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dirtysidedown »

Rookie50 wrote:DS,

You wouldn't. On top of the eapis customs requirements, I recommend a full verbal briefing from the US wxbrief -- within 24 hours of your flight. They would go through your route and alert you to any TFR's -- and it's all on tape, which protects you somewhat from any briefing error.

Then you go, on a flight plan, and stay in continuous flight following -- they will hand you off -- and they will keep you out of trouble -- just don't hesitate to indicate "unfamiliar with the airspace" --and they will slow things down a bit.

Do a little reading up -- " like copa cross border" open an Eapis account, do a cross border to upstate NY somewhere for lunch. It's not that far and will "break the ice".
Nice thanks! I will have to save this into my word documents for later reference when i muster up the courage / money to go south of the border for a shopping trip with my wife.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

dirtysidedown wrote:
Rookie50 wrote:DS,

Nice thanks! I will have to save this into my word documents for later reference when i muster up the courage / money to go south of the border for a shopping trip with my wife.
DS,

https://www.eapisfile.com/Docs/eAPIS/pr ... _guide.pdf

Good link from CBP

Return to “ATS Question Forum”