Experienced Controller Migrating to Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Prolyfic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Experienced Controller Migrating to Canada

Post by Prolyfic »

Hello everyone, i was an air traffic controller in another country for 7 years. I have recently migrated to Canada, I visited nav canada website, but it states that in order to apply you must already be a citizen or permanent resident. I however only have a work permit, Can anyone her guide me as to the best way to become an air traffic controller in Canada considering that i did all the air traffic training and have worked as an active controller for 7 years? Is there any way around entering a training program if i am not a permanent resident? Will i have to do all of the training again. The country i was is is an ICAO signatory and the school is certified by ICAO.

Thank You
---------- ADS -----------

vince79
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Experienced Controller Migrating to Canada

Post by vince79 »

Hi Prolyfic !

There is no track for experienced controllers in Canada. You have to go through the whole process, and you have to be a citizen or permanent resident to apply.

You can still contact Nav Canada (visit takecharge.navcanada.ca) but that's what they will tell you.

Good luck !

Married a Canadian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Married a Canadian »

Prolyfic

There used to be an "experience controller program" with NAV Canada which was the doorway for foreign controllers with the prerequisite experience to apply to work as an air traffic controller in Canada.
This program was closed afew years ago, for numerous reasons...not least one of them being that NAV Canada were having more success in recruiting "locals" for want of a better word. I was actually the last British controller to be accepted for the experience controller program, and learnt the ins and outs of what NAV Canada were trying to do while going though the training process.

Unfortunately for you that means as Vince 79 has said, you can't apply without residency or citizenship. Previous experience would only count for anything IF you were successful in an application.
You can understand why NAV Canada would want you to be a permanent resident or citizen. An expired work visa is a logistical headache for the company..and the training process can take longer than the length of your visa. As frustrating as I am sure it is for you there is no way round this current application process.
I would suggest applying for residency and then taking it from there.

We recently had a UK citizen do exactly that (minus the being a controller before part). He moved to Canada, applied for residency...applied to NAV Canada when he met the criteria and recently checked out in the enroute.

Sorry that it isn't more helpful...you are afew years too late, ever since NAV Canada realised how to hire more locally.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

Prolyfic

I have heard that although there is no "experienced controller" program, NavCanada did recently take a controller (or 2?) from the military direct to Fredericton tower. I guess it all depends on the company's needs at the time. But again as others have mentioned, you need to meet the residency requirements first to even explore an option like that.

Good luck

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

About three years ago we also had an experienced controller who was hired from Australia. The controller in question did not qualify though and I believe was a resident.

Prolyfic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Prolyfic »

Thank you all for you accurate responses. I recently made contact with a recruiter at Nav Canada and they told me that I need to get permanent residency status and then apply and go through the whole training process.

Thank You

Return to “ATS Question Forum”