Why do helicopter cargo baskets have maximum weight capacities?

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

lindsay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Why do helicopter cargo baskets have maximum weight capacities?

Post by lindsay »

Hello,

Wondering if someone would be able to answer my question -

Why do helicopter cargo baskets have maximum weight capacities (i.e. is it for maneuverability, emergency landings...)? To illustrate, the Bell 206L4 helicopter has a max gross weight (external load) of 4,550 lbs but most standard cargo baskets can only hold 200-300 lbs. Why can't cargo baskets hold more weight?
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Why do helicopter cargo baskets have maximum weight capacities?

Post by Heliian »

Hello again, I'll repost this here also for those searching on this forum.

Hi Lindsay,

The max load in a basket is due to the structural limitations of the aircraft and the basket. The centre of gravity is very important in a helicopter and the further you get from the centre, the more effect the weight has on the aircraft. The maximum external hook load is roughly 2000lbs but is located close to the centre. The 4550 lbs. Max (external) You quoted is for the entire helicopter, including people, equipment, fuel and a cargo hook external load. The 206l4 can operate to a maximum gross weight of 4450 lbs. internal (no hook load) and this would include the weight of the basket and goods.

The baskets can handle a heavier load structurally but when operated beyond the working limits, will start to resonate more and will eventually fail due to metal fatigue.

The manufacturers of the accessories have to prove the flight characteristics and for this particular setup, they decided on the limit.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Helicopter Forum”