Current Job market for Rotor / New Pilots

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ACWest
Rank 0
Rank 0

Current Job market for Rotor / New Pilots

Post by ACWest »

Hello,
I've been debating whether or not now is a good time to go to flight school and get my commercial license. I've been told two stories - that it's bleak and hardly any work - and that certain companies hire low hour pilots to help them get hours. Does anyone have any insight of how the market looks for new pilots coming out of flight school? I'm hesitant to make this life/financial decision, given the uncertainty of the economy/the world. Has anyone recently gone through flight training during covid-19 times that has any advice or info?
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

All Sides
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Current Job market for Rotor / New Pilots

Post by All Sides »

If you look through this index you will find most of the answers to your questions, it has been asked at nauseam. As for Covid affecting the business, it goes without saying that it has had a huge impact on the business as every other business in the world.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

ACWest wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:05 pm Hello,
I've been debating whether or not now is a good time to go to flight school and get my commercial license. I've been told two stories - that it's bleak and hardly any work - and that certain companies hire low hour pilots to help them get hours. Does anyone have any insight of how the market looks for new pilots coming out of flight school? I'm hesitant to make this life/financial decision, given the uncertainty of the economy/the world. Has anyone recently gone through flight training during covid-19 times that has any advice or info?
Thanks
Turn and run. Now is probably the worst time to get that license. There was already strain on the industry before the pandemic. Unless you have $100,000 to burn and have a love for vertical flight and don’t expect to ever get a job I’d advise to keep your money ans invest in something more lucrative.

EasyTarget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EasyTarget »

+1 for now is not a good time.

There are currently a lot of highly skilled, high time helicopter pilots sitting at home right now with no seat. COVID, plus a mostly terrible season for a lot of companies has seen some of them forced to shutter, and others barely hanging on hoping they see next season.

Any spots will be scooped up by the experienced people that others want to work with, followed by the experienced people you don't really want to work with but what can you do - they have the experience, followed by the mid-time folks...and so on...and so on.

However, if you're independently wealthy and just want to get your licence. By all means keep those schools working.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

EasyTarget wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:54 am +1 for now is not a good time.

There are currently a lot of highly skilled, high time helicopter pilots sitting at home right now with no seat. COVID, plus a mostly terrible season for a lot of companies has seen some of them forced to shutter, and others barely hanging on hoping they see next season.

Any spots will be scooped up by the experienced people that others want to work with, followed by the experienced people you don't really want to work with but what can you do - they have the experience, followed by the mid-time folks...and so on...and so on.

However, if you're independently wealthy and just want to get your licence. By all means keep those schools working.
It’s only going to get worse, Canada it seems is not permitted to generate wealth anymore. Not going to get political on here but ya, I’ve been around long enough to remember when helicopters were so busy in Canada there was never enough ames and pilots and machines. Now, well.... ya

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

PitchLink I agree fully!

It's going to be very interesting moving forward in the industry. I just read yesterday that Highland is done, among how many companies already.

I was recently asked how people get a start in the helicopter industry, and I truly don't know anymore.

AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

So much doom and gloom on here!

The world is evolving, doesn't matter if it's the auto industry, or flight. Same with pilots, it isn't just 'the old boys club' anymore. Someone's bad habits they learned, at some crappy operator, in their 1970 heap of vaccum gauged Bell, doesn't necessarily translate into a good pilot, despite their 10k hours. That new student with no deeply ingrained bad habits, who is quick to learn glass panels, and is eager to listen and learn, instead of argue, and say well I've been doing it like this for 20 years, is the one I want to hire. Much easier to train a fresh mind, who wants guidance. Than retrain a miserable old man, with the old boys club mentality. Ideally, give me a female pilot, who isn't a womans liber. Hopefully in a perfect world, they also did a turbine, mountain, and ifr add ons, they walk in the door with 140 useful hours, a spring in their step, ear and eyes open, mouth shut. I can mold them into a damn fine pilot within 3 or 4 years.

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

I think the issue is that there isn't alot of companies hiring right now. Forestry needs 500 some odd hours, IFR needs an FO to have something like 160 hours, and alot of your operators are seeing the massive downturn due to COVID. I have no clue how bad oil and gas is and then you might have to meet contrail requirements... so where do you get those hours in the first place?

Our industry currently has many guys and gals with tons of experience out of work so it'll be tough for someone new to break out, but not impossible, just $hitty timing

AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

MOAB wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:41 am PitchLink I agree fully!

It's going to be very interesting moving forward in the industry. I just read yesterday that Highland is done, among how many companies already.

I was recently asked how people get a start in the helicopter industry, and I truly don't know anymore.
Find an area where they could use a helicopter, but none are around. Look into what is truly needed for a machine there, open your own business and buy a bird. 😉

Hint: Snowmobiling is popular in some places, one place might start with 'McBri' and yet a stuck or broken mountain sledded has to bring in a machine from far away. Tourists have no way to go sightseeing, foresters nothing around, and on and on. If I was 25 again, I would buy an acreage nearby that town, nice little house, shop to put a 66 in, hang out my shingle, pit business cards all over town at every hotel, bar, railway museum, restaurant, take out a small ad on the website Snow and Mud, pack my cell phone around religiously, and make it well know to that I accept text messages from phones, Gamin In reach emergency units etc. They text their gps coordinates and a little message, if the weather is cooperating, say ' I'll be there'. Every group of riders who I know now carries an in reach. Could cover from the Torpy to Tete jeaune. I'm just throwing this out there is all. But hey, what do i know, its not like i sometimes fly all the way there, fly out a few sleds, and head home...no, not me, so just spit balling 😉 cough cough

AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

The above would be extra useful for the people who keep posting about how terrible operators are. Be your own boss, no jerk to work for, no swiss mafia crushing your ego, errr i mean dreams.

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

I don't think the vast majority of guys in aviation at 25 could buy and acreage and 66...

But I hear what your saying

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

AngelsSang wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:49 pm So much doom and gloom on here!

The world is evolving, doesn't matter if it's the auto industry, or flight. Same with pilots, it isn't just 'the old boys club' anymore. Someone's bad habits they learned, at some crappy operator, in their 1970 heap of vaccum gauged Bell, doesn't necessarily translate into a good pilot, despite their 10k hours. That new student with no deeply ingrained bad habits, who is quick to learn glass panels, and is eager to listen and learn, instead of argue, and say well I've been doing it like this for 20 years, is the one I want to hire. Much easier to train a fresh mind, who wants guidance. Than retrain a miserable old man, with the old boys club mentality. Ideally, give me a female pilot, who isn't a womans liber. Hopefully in a perfect world, they also did a turbine, mountain, and ifr add ons, they walk in the door with 140 useful hours, a spring in their step, ear and eyes open, mouth shut. I can mold them into a damn fine pilot within 3 or 4 years.
I agree about the dusty old farts and old boys club in this industry. They all know everything as of 1976 and stagnated there and refuse to learn or go away and let open minded younger pilots advance. Not to sound too “doom and gloom” but the reality is the market is very soft right now and not the same work to be had as 15 years ago. It would not be prudent to tell someone making a major financial decision asking if it’s worth it to dive in and good work ethic and attitude will get them anywhere. That’s a $100k license with almost no guarantee of any kind of work in the next few years foreseeable. I have my staff all of which have 15-20 years experience, we have our pick. I admire your take on the state of affairs but I think reality of the situation shouldn’t be withheld from the OP. My 2 cents 😁

Thumper45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thumper45 »

I spent 3 years seriously considering this. I had invested money getting as much learning in before I started as a student.
In those 3 years there were a ton of changes. The biggest of which was COVID.
As of right now, talking to the people I have meet and know around my area, there is no point in starting now. The work is not there and what is there is being handed out to very high hour, long time pilots. Student pilots here are graduating and cant even find a company to hire them for ground work.

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

Thumper45 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:22 pm I spent 3 years seriously considering this. I had invested money getting as much learning in before I started as a student.
As of right now, talking to the people I have meet and know around my area, there is no point in starting now. The work is not there and what is there is being handed out to very high hour, long time pilots. Student pilots here are graduating and cant even find a company to hire them for ground work.
If you do eventually pursue it Thumper, just make sure if you get a ground gig that it's somewhere that has proof of taking lowtimes and getting them flying. I worked at one outfit in Alberta that would call schools, get there "best student" and get them going on the ground but never had any intention of getting them flying. I don't know if they promised something but they had never taken a low time and got them flying full time in the past.

Thumper45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thumper45 »

MOAB wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:39 pm
Thumper45 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:22 pm I spent 3 years seriously considering this. I had invested money getting as much learning in before I started as a student.
If you do eventually pursue it Thumper, just make sure if you get a ground gig that it's somewhere that has proof of taking lowtimes and getting them flying. I worked at one outfit in Alberta that would call schools, get there "best student" and get them going on the ground but never had any intention of getting them flying. I don't know if they promised something but they had never taken a low time and got them flying full time in the past.
It is something I would love to do.
I wanted to fly and to me anything would do to get my fix so I looked at the heli stuff first. It seemed like a good route. I would likely be able to find local work if I chose to do it for an income. Ultimately I wanted to do this because it was a life long goal and my business will be purchasing some form of aircraft soon.
Even though I did not go into this with the intent of being able to make money with it I don't like the idea of not being able to if I choose to and that is what made me choose fixed wing. There seems to be a much wider range of options for a plane over a heli when it comes to jobs in the current market not to mention my intended goal with an aircraft would be for business and the plane makes more sense given the distance I have to travel.

AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

Something to remember, that applies for everything in life, not just flying. There is never a good time to do most things that are really important to us. Don't put off things that matter to you, "until it is the right time". Because it will be terrible when you are 60, to look bad and have regrets over all things that you didn't do, because it was never the right time. When I get to be 60, I would rather look back on my life, see a few failures, but know that I tried...than look back and wonder what could have been if I had just tried. Almost every person in my life has told me that I would fail, at so many things I tried. A few times they were correct, and yes I failed. But more often than not I succeeded. Can't say I regret a single failure either, they were life lessons, and made the times I succeeded even sweeter. If I had to do it all over again, I would not change much from the past 49 years. Taking more risks would be something that I would change, sometimes when I didn't do something, I now wonder what could have been. And I took far more risks than most people do. If you are a young single guy, and see the most beautiful woman you ever set eyes upon, and feel this urge to go talk to her, just do it. She may brush you off, or be glad you asked, because they are usually the loneliest gals, because men are scared to ask them out. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

mellows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mellows »

AngelsSang wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:10 pm Something to remember, that applies for everything in life, not just flying. There is never a good time to do most things that are really important to us. Don't put off things that matter to you, "until it is the right time". Because it will be terrible when you are 60, to look bad and have regrets over all things that you didn't do, because it was never the right time. When I get to be 60, I would rather look back on my life, see a few failures, but know that I tried...than look back and wonder what could have been if I had just tried. Almost every person in my life has told me that I would fail, at so many things I tried. A few times they were correct, and yes I failed. But more often than not I succeeded. Can't say I regret a single failure either, they were life lessons, and made the times I succeeded even sweeter. If I had to do it all over again, I would not change much from the past 49 years. Taking more risks would be something that I would change, sometimes when I didn't do something, I now wonder what could have been. And I took far more risks than most people do. If you are a young single guy, and see the most beautiful woman you ever set eyes upon, and feel this urge to go talk to her, just do it. She may brush you off, or be glad you asked, because they are usually the loneliest gals, because men are scared to ask them out. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!
Amen!

In the same situation and resuming my CHPL tomorrow. I've flown 60 hours duel and PIC from 5 years prior. Had a few children and now resuming the dream. In your financial life as a whole $100k may not be be as large of an expense as it seems.

Chase your dream!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

ACWest wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:05 pm Hello,
Thanks

I’m going to have to agree with the majority. Save your money and do something, ANYTHING else with it. There’s just no work anymore.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Been getting some calls to wrench this season….. the pay is up but the lack of support is prevalent EVERYWHERE right now. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

mellows wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:16 pm
AngelsSang wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:10 pm Something to remember, that applies for everything in life, not just flying. There is never a good time to do most things that are really important to us. Don't put off things that matter to you, "until it is the right time". Because it will be terrible when you are 60, to look bad and have regrets over all things that you didn't do, because it was never the right time. When I get to be 60, I would rather look back on my life, see a few failures, but know that I tried...than look back and wonder what could have been if I had just tried. Almost every person in my life has told me that I would fail, at so many things I tried. A few times they were correct, and yes I failed. But more often than not I succeeded. Can't say I regret a single failure either, they were life lessons, and made the times I succeeded even sweeter. If I had to do it all over again, I would not change much from the past 49 years. Taking more risks would be something that I would change, sometimes when I didn't do something, I now wonder what could have been. And I took far more risks than most people do. If you are a young single guy, and see the most beautiful woman you ever set eyes upon, and feel this urge to go talk to her, just do it. She may brush you off, or be glad you asked, because they are usually the loneliest gals, because men are scared to ask them out. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!
Amen!

In the same situation and resuming my CHPL tomorrow. I've flown 60 hours duel and PIC from 5 years prior. Had a few children and now resuming the dream. In your financial life as a whole $100k may not be be as large of an expense as it seems.

Chase your dream!
Did you finish it?

Return to “Helicopter Forum”