Canada Helicopter Industry 2021 season

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Canada Helicopter Industry 2021 season

Post by PitchLink »

Hey how’s everyone doing in 2021? Looks like 2020 with a bad attitude so far. Lots of C registered choppers for sale, hope everyone is hanging in and or possibly picking up some work. From what I’m hearing through little birds lots of cancellations and red tape to get through this year. A few companies quietly opened shop in the USA and cross training aircrew for FAA licenses and work visa’d up... here’s hoping we get a good burn this summer!

Just checking in with Canada’s roto market, how’s everyone making out? Things are heating up in Saskatchewan and Alberta the coming week. She’s still wet and needs to dry off but I think late July will be good if there can be some ignition. Hope everyone else is hired on!
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by PitchLink on Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Canada Helicopter Industry 2021 season

Post by The Mole »

I think most are hoping for a government bailout. Fire fighting is changing though, the days of just go bucket for 8hrs are getting fewer. Explorations was looking promising, but that so fickle who knows what could happen. Virus isn't going away in the next 6 months, I expect travel restriction to stay in place until at least fall. No politician is going to risk killing grandma by opening things early, and we've already gone this far. The economy hasn't collapsed and house prices are going to the moon.

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

Hopefully it'll be a good fire season. I know alot of guys who are planning the transition to Air Ambulance but most jobs got filled up by guys laid off by Cougar and International offshore stuff.

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

I know the companies in BC that got the new medevac contracts have been looking for crew, but you have to live in PG. Could be hard pill for someone coming form the offshore world. The usual suspect are always hiring. Could be tough for those without well rounded experience though. If you can drive a longline work is usually available. Might not be the greatest work condition, but it's a pay cheque.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

So given the above it’s as bleak as I’m hearing. Agree about bucketing those days are gone. Exploration has been a dead stick since at least 2010. All that’s left is government flying and hydro electric work which is all spoken for. This is not a good omen for the vfr vtol industry in Canada. As for the lockdown, 6 months?!? Add another 24 to that minimum with the rate these vaccines are rolling out!! Heli skiing is going to be dead for that duration as well. What’s left?

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

The industry will contract, unfortunately the good companies are getting picked off, leaving the mom and pops with low overhead. I expect many companies will be doing more pilots/AME on daily + hourly "no guarantees", or if you want full time be prepared to move.
Tourisms fucked for the summer, but who knows come December for skiing. Lodges seem to be backed by rich assholes, maybe will fewer heli's around the rates will go up.....oh wait this Canada, rates will go down.
There is some power line transmission construction is happening but those projects are slowly coming to an end, electrical maintenances is hard to break into though.

We have three political parties that are against just about all resource development. Thats not great for day VFR work.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

This industry is screwed

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:16 am This industry is screwed
As said before, every year from 1980 to the present.

The industry is ever changing to the needs of the customers and only those who can adapt will survive. This year has been rougher than most but I think the market will pick back up, just like every other business when things open up again.

Exploration is slowly coming back to life, fires are fires. Just leaves tourism.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Heliian wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:02 am

The industry is ever changing to the needs of the customers and only those who can adapt will survive. This year has been rougher than most but I think the market will pick back up, just like every other business when things open up again.

Exploration is slowly coming back to life, fires are fires. Just leaves tourism.
It’s shrinking, commodities have been in the toilet nearing ten years. I haven’t seen much for exploration but drills have been dead for well over ten years by now. Tourism depending on region will go nuts if restrictions are relaxed for sure lots of anxious cabin fevers ready to let loose. Idk I can’t predict the future but I can trend monitor. Best of luck to us all this spring.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:34 am

It’s shrinking, commodities have been in the toilet nearing ten years. I haven’t seen much for exploration but drills have been dead for well over ten years by now. Tourism depending on region will go nuts if restrictions are relaxed for sure lots of anxious cabin fevers ready to let loose. Idk I can’t predict the future but I can trend monitor. Best of luck to us all this spring.
I agree, don’t think the tourism thing will be back at all this year or next for that matter, too many problems with vaccine rollout and everyone still needs a second shot don’t they? My aunt had her vaccine last month and has no idea when the second shot to complete treatment is coming.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:32 am

I agree, don’t think the tourism thing will be back at all this year or next for that matter, too many problems with vaccine rollout and everyone still needs a second shot don’t they? My aunt had her vaccine last month and has no idea when the second shot to complete treatment is coming.
There’s several other compromised cogs in this pandemic. People not trusting the vaccine and all these antieverything protestors spreading the virus as well as our out of control debt. I’m not sure what the future holds for Canada’s flying game but it’s going to be more than 2021 to sort out the can of worms we can see at this point...

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Hiring in the industry begins in the early spring . Already several jobs opened up for pilots and ames.

I am still cautiously optimistic about the industry, tourism be damned.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Heliian wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:41 am Hiring in the industry begins in the early spring . Already several jobs opened up for pilots and ames.

Yes you are optimistic. Tourism seems to be all that’s left short of the forestry scene and flight training. There’s supposed to be some bird towing and drill work starting this year but that’s just rumours, no equipment up on deck for that yet and it’s getting to be go time.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:14 am
PitchLink wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:32 am

There’s several other compromised cogs in this pandemic. People not trusting the vaccine and all these antieverything protestors spreading the virus as well as our out of control debt. I’m not sure what the future holds for Canada’s flying game but it’s going to be more than 2021 to sort out the can of worms we can see at this point...
I know....

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Heliian wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:41 am Hiring in the industry begins in the early spring . Already several jobs opened up for pilots and ames.

I’ve seen that too, one “operator” had a job ad up offering $200/day for a 350 AME with multiple variant and engine courses as prerequisites.... i talked to a few about rates they were higher than that but wow, I think I’ll stick the states

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

So I was having an AME friend over for dinner and it came up that apparently there's quite a bit of a shortage of pilots :lol: :lol: :lol:

So how much of a stretch would it be to go back to rotary after 10+ years of airline/703 fixed-wing ? Are most places still looking for something like 1000 hrs on type?

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

daedalusx wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:00 am So I was having an AME friend over for dinner and it came up that apparently there's quite a bit of a shortage of pilots :lol: :lol: :lol:

So how much of a stretch would it be to go back to rotary after 10+ years of airline/703 fixed-wing ? Are most places still looking for something like 1000 hrs on type?
Don’t waste your time or money. There’s a flood of TFW’s working for peanuts right now flying whatever they can get for hours.
There’s no shortage of drivers, just a shortage available for the current rates that keep driving down. I think if you’ve been out of it for over 10 years you’ll be grossly disappointed coming back now. The good days are long gone and I don’t think they’re ever coming back.

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

In general I do see ads for guys with 1000hrs. No real idea how many applicants there are fighting for those spots.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

MOAB wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:25 am In general I do see ads for guys with 1000hrs. No real idea how many applicants there are fighting for those spots.
I did get drafted for fire season this year being the sucker I am. There’s lots of drivers available but some notorious operators are abusing whatever loopholes they can to keep their rates down. Namely using cheaper low time and tfw pilots. Lots of high time guys out there just not the long line and precision driving demand so much. Majority of work is air cab which anyone can do, operators don’t want to pay a precision longline guy’s rate for that work. The bucket and tank work is pretty slim with the experience out there readily available. Other than a few power line projects which are well manned for the foreseeable future I don’t see a lack of pilots at all…

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:42 am
MOAB wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:25 am In general I do see ads for guys with 1000hrs. No real idea how many applicants there are fighting for those spots.
I did get drafted for fire season this year being the sucker I am. There’s lots of drivers available but some notorious operators are abusing whatever loopholes they can to keep their rates down. Namely using cheaper low time and tfw pilots. Lots of high time guys out there just not the long line and precision driving demand so much. Majority of work is air cab which anyone can do, operators don’t want to pay a precision longline guy’s rate for that work. The bucket and tank work is pretty slim with the experience out there readily available. Other than a few power line projects which are well manned for the foreseeable future I don’t see a lack of pilots at all…

There were a lot of tfws wrenching too, I ran into a few this summer, wonder if they were even licensed or even here legally. Same usual suspects of course.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”