Flying Recreationally

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

SkyHigh87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flying Recreationally

Post by SkyHigh87 »

Hey all,

I'm a new poster on these forums and hoping to pick some of your brains.

I've always had an interest and fascination with flying. I'm at the point where I'm trying to understand what would be required to get my license to own and operate my own Robinson R22 helicopter recreationally.

I've done some basic research but figure someone who has gone through this process would likely have some valuable insight that I may not have considered.

What I'm looking to figure out are some of the following:
- Cost of a course to get my license (I calculated about ~$30 for this part)
- Cost of ownership (maintenance, insurance, storage, fuel, etc...)
- The actual feasibility for someone in their 30's who has never flown anything.

Additionally, If anyone has any lessons learnt or recommendations on potentially a different approach I'm appreciate any sort of feedback.

Thank you!
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Flying Recreationally

Post by photofly »

Not any answers from the rotary crowd yet, who I'm sure will be along soon, but your plan sounds eminently doable, if you have funds. Are you going to keep the thing on your own (rural) property or stable it at an airport?

You might find getting insurance is harder than you anticipate - give a call to some brokers to make some contacts and find out their opinions.

Have you somewhere convenient to train?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

photofly wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:42 pmyour plan sounds eminently doable, if you have funds.
A *LOT* of funds. Are you Drake?

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

SkyHigh87 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:41 pm Hey all,

I've always had an interest and fascination with flying. I'm at the point where I'm trying to understand what would be required to get my license to own and operate my own Robinson R22 helicopter recreationally.

I've done some basic research but figure someone who has gone through this process would likely have some valuable insight that I may not have considered.

- The actual feasibility for someone in their 30's who has never flown anything.

Additionally, If anyone has any lessons learnt or recommendations on potentially a different approach I'm appreciate any sort of feedback.

Thank you!
The license for private will likely set you back 50-60 grand, as for the r22 you better be under 170lbs, otherwise you’re looking at a 44 or 66. R22 depending on 2200 hr inspection detriment and age could run anywhere between 100-400 grand I’m guessing I would check controller for current prices which haven’t deviated much during the pandemic. You’ll also need someone to maintain the machine for you which will be the expensive part. I have certified 44s in the past but tend to stay away these days as private guys with those machines are extremely cheap. I’ll only maintain commercial anymore unless the inspection is paid for upfront. You also have to factor in component failures like engines or blades or hubs or actuators etc. There’s also incidentals like blade strikes or over speeds. The initial purchase of the aircraft and license count on $750 just to get going. Insurance has more than doubled on single engine vtol machines in the last two years for commercial so private will not be cheap. I think unless you’re a multi millionaire and have 2 million to burn I’d walk away. As for your age no problems just need a medical and you’re young enough should be fine minus any cardiac or insulin regulation, vision problems you should be good. Also you have to consider zoning for flying that thing from your property. You may get noise complaints from neighbours and zoning for a heliport is another issue that may be another caveat. That’s what I got off the top of my head.

Last edited by PitchLink on Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

In theory, zoning should be no issue; federal jurisdiction taking precedence, etc. Have a look at CAR307.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
SkyHigh87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SkyHigh87 »

All you're replies were really helpful.

I live down the street from a private airfield where I would be able to store the helicopter. My house is pretty much aligned with the runway so I have little cessnas landing all day and weekends

After reading all your comments this seem a lot less realistic now as I was hoping that I would be able to get going (license + helicopter) for around 200K.

From the comments here It looks like I shouldn't even bother with the R22 and start off with a R44. The price of an R44 puts the reality of this dream in the garbage for the time being.

Would there be any other angles I would be able to at least start to get more integrated with the helicopter community? I am currently located off the island of Montreal, Quebec

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Why does it have to be rotary?

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

Co-ownership with a group of like minded people to split the cost of the aircraft and maintenance.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

It is my understanding that there are only 2-3 insurers left for helicopters in Canada. My insurance went up 50% in each of the last 2 years and I am considered lucky. I have no clue what's going to happen at this years renewal but it will probably be ugly. I don't see how you are going to get a license and a R22 for < $200K and still pay for insurance/operating costs. Helicopter rentals for recreational flying are not really a thing here.

Most of the private helicopter owners that I know are one-per-centers. The only ones that I know who aren't fly home-builts. If you go this route please do your research carefully. Helicopters are much more complicated than airplanes and don't leave much margin for errors.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

C-GKNT wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:11 am It is my understanding that there are only 2-3 insurers left for helicopters in Canada. My insurance went up 50% in each of the last 2 years and I am considered lucky. I have no clue what's going to happen at this years renewal but it will probably be ugly. I don't see how you are going to get a license and a R22 for < $200K and still pay for insurance/operating costs. Helicopter rentals for recreational flying are not really a thing here.

Most of the private helicopter owners that I know are one-per-centers. The only ones that I know who aren't fly home-builts. If you go this route please do your research carefully. Helicopters are much more complicated than airplanes and don't leave much margin for errors.
Plus one on this, it’s unaffordable to hover for the average joe anymore

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

PitchLink wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:12 am ...
I have been flying fixed wing for 30 years but rotary for only 8...Has flying helicopters recreationally ever been within the realm of the "average joe"?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

C-GKNT wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:13 pm
PitchLink wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:12 am ...
I have been flying fixed wing for 30 years but rotary for only 8...Has flying helicopters recreationally ever been within the realm of the "average joe"?
For the average well off joe. I know a guy that started one of Canada’s largest operators with a Bell 47 that he bought with the money he got from selling his truck. That would have been in the late 60s early 70s

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

The guys currently starting companies seem to be backed by very wealthy investors, with bottomless pits of money.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:37 am ...
For the average well off joe. I know a guy that started one of Canada’s largest operators with a Bell 47 that he bought with the money he got from selling his truck. That would have been in the late 60s early 70s
I met someone who got started in that time frame. Got hired as a helicopter pilot BEFORE he even finished his license. He completed his fixed wing to rotary flight test but didn't have enough hours for the license. They signed him off to ferry a Bell 47 (I think) up north. Completed his hours on the trip and started work the next day. :prayer:

...that was a LOOONG time ago. :cry:

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

C-GKNT wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:20 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:37 am ...
I met someone who got started in that time frame. Got hired as a helicopter pilot BEFORE he even finished his license. He completed his fixed wing to rotary flight test but didn't have enough hours for the license. They signed him off to ferry a Bell 47 (I think) up north. Completed his hours on the trip and started work the next day. :prayer:

...that was a LOOONG time ago. :cry:
That it was, pushing 50 years, the good old days that I don’t think will ever return short of a massive world reset worse than this pandemic, like WWIII... 😕. PS that company is still going with some scrapes and bruises like the rest of us under COVID19, and the founder now in his 80s still maintains his license!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

The Mole wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:12 pm The guys currently starting companies seem to be backed by very wealthy investors, with bottomless pits of money.
That’s how it has to be these days, insurance is really focussing on GA and smaller aircraft operators since the massive downturn in airline activity.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

helicopterray wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:33 pm Co-ownership with a group of like minded people to split the cost of the aircraft and maintenance.
There’s people that co-own private helicopters in Canada? Seen that with GA junk never fling wing

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

SkyHigh87 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:41 pm Hey all,

Thank you!
Don't even bother, unless you're a brainless construction company owner.

Just take the money you would think you would have used for a toy helicopter and charter a real one when you want.

Petit-Lion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Petit-Lion »

Chartering is not flying.
Is there a place in Canada where I can rent a helicopter, go somewhere, spend a few hours or the night, and come back at night or the next day?

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:08 am
helicopterray wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:33 pm Co-ownership with a group of like minded people to split the cost of the aircraft and maintenance.
There’s people that co-own private helicopters in Canada? Seen that with GA junk never fling wing
I know a group of 4 that owns an R44. They went liability only on insurance for a while...Can't imagine what would have happened if one of them wrecked it. However, they seem to be happy with the arrangement.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”