Dave is my first passenger with me flying PIC Right seat.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related videos and photos.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Dave is my first passenger with me flying PIC Right seat.

Post by astroguy »

I take a friend , Dave, up for a flight. Dave is my first passenger with me flying PIC Right seat.
I practice a bit of flight instruction but Dave used to be a Glider Flight instructor and is a Flight sim guy who knows quite well how to fly.

https://youtu.be/kGLOFPIXlNY
---------- ADS -----------

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Dave is my first passenger with me flying PIC Right seat.

Post by Alcoholism »

Great for you and Dave, no one gives a @#$!

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

astroguy wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:17 am I take a friend , Dave, up for a flight. Dave is my first passenger with me flying PIC Right seat.
I practice a bit of flight instruction but Dave used to be a Glider Flight instructor and is a Flight sim guy who knows quite well how to fly.

Great video sir! Don't listen to anyone saying otherwise. You have a passion for aviation and you're living it the way it's meant to be lived. Don't listen to any "haters" or "pros" that try to tell you otherwise.

Das ist mir wurst...
astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by astroguy »

HansDietrich wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:06 am
astroguy wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:17 am I take a friend , Dave, up for a flight. Dave is my first passenger with me flying PIC Right seat.

Great video sir! Don't listen to anyone saying otherwise. You have a passion for aviation and you're living it the way it's meant to be lived. Don't listen to any "haters" or "pros" that try to tell you otherwise.
Thanks HansDietrich.... Oh the internet!! sort of like the school yard sometimes eh?
I appreciate your feedback.
DaveP

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

astroguy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:40 pm
Thanks HansDietrich.... Oh the internet!! sort of like the school yard sometimes eh?
I appreciate your feedback.
DaveP
This forum is filled with frustrated pilots, dreamers and most of all rumor addicted individuals. I fall into one of those categories. We all loved aviation at one point,then decided to turn it into a career. That's when you start losing that magic and start to face the harsh realities of an industry that is cutthroat and full of compromises. What once was a respected, well paid job (pilot) is now nothing more than a "skilled trade" and not even that...

Flying small piston airplanes was the best flying I've ever done. I didn't know how to really appreciate it at the time. I hope to buy my own plane one day and fly on weekends. Keep posting these videos.

Das ist mir wurst...
toelessjoe
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by toelessjoe »

Astroguy I believe anyone here would cheerfully go flying with you as your enthusiasm and positive attitude would be a great reminder to all of us as to why we started flying in the first place.

Alcoholism I believe I'd like to teach you some manners.

- Toeless.

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by astroguy »

HansDietrich wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:01 am
This forum is filled with frustrated pilots, dreamers and most of all rumor addicted individuals. I fall into one of those categories. We all loved aviation at one point,then decided to turn it into a career. That's when you start losing that magic and start to face the harsh realities of an industry that is cutthroat and full of compromises. What once was a respected, well paid job (pilot) is now nothing more than a "skilled trade" and not even that...

Flying small piston airplanes was the best flying I've ever done. I didn't know how to really appreciate it at the time. I hope to buy my own plane one day and fly on weekends. Keep posting these videos.
Thanks HansDietrich....
I have just finished reading the book... "Highest Duty"...by Sullenburger who piloted US air into the Hudson. What a fanastic story and man...but I bring this up further to your points concerning the realities of the industry and how things have changed. A more than a few times in his book Sully makes references to the draw down in the aviation industry. A great word you choose was 'compromises'. His feeling of being a 'bus driver' in the sky is a long way from what it used to be.
Anyhow it was a bit of a warts and all king of read, far from what I was expecting and well worth reading if you fly.
Again I very much appreciate the contact.
I will continue to post but boy the last three bookings have been weather cancelled..... the little Ikarus is 22 knots max any wind in the POH and max demonstrated crosswind is 15 kts. Really windy lately!

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by astroguy »

toelessjoe wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:42 am Astroguy I believe anyone here would cheerfully go flying with you as your enthusiasm and positive attitude would be a great reminder to all of us as to why we started flying in the first place.

Alcoholism I believe I'd like to teach you some manners.

- Toeless.
Toeless.... to you I say thanks. I know my videos can be boring to many but I receive more than a few positive feedbacks privately concerning newbie pilots .... but I have had a few not so nice. The anonymity of the internet and the big drop in society norms of respect really make it a chore sometimes so I really can appreciate when the better half of the people speak up. Thanks again!
DaveP

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by astroguy »

HansDietrich wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:01 am

Well I hope you do get back into GA. I know more that a couple of Airline industry pilots at the Kingston ON airport who fly their own Piper or Cessna for the reasons that you mentioned... but boy it might be cheaper to rent when you get talking to them!
In general aviation the rental costs for small aircraft seem to range from $150 per hour to $200 Cdn per hour solo plus tax... and you likely know this but unless you can put in more than 100 hours per year on the GA , once hanger fees/ insurance and all required maintenance is done ... owning seems to even out with rentals. Of course no long trips with rentals are worth it but simply being able to jump into the sky to feel the reactive pulley and wire operated control surfaces cutting the wind is something that you might miss for sure!
When I completed my first discovery flight in a 172 with a ex-airline pilot last Feb 3rd... the weather was blustery... the viz was low.... I was a bit scared...but when we landed all I could think of was , how was I going to get money to keep doing this!!! I'm not into drugs but this feeling felt like addiction.
Thanks again
DaveP

Return to “Aviation Videos & Photos”