Information on Stearman CF-QFT and Cessna 195’s

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related videos and photos.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

C195 Driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Information on Stearman CF-QFT and Cessna 195’s

Post by C195 Driver »

Hello

I’m trying to find out some information about a Stearman owned by a friend of mine in DuPage, Illinois. He knows it was civilianized in 1946 and worked as a duster until it was imported into Canada in 1969. Unfortunately the Canadian logbooks and other history were lost between the moves to and from Canada. He would like to find out more of the history of his airplane while it was in Canada. He has the information after it returned to the US in 1992 and was restored in 2002.

It was imported by Ed’s Western Aviation (Ed Zalesky) in Richmond, BC in July 1969 and returned to the US in September 1992. It was registered in Canada as CF-QFT and we believe it probably spent most of its time in the lower mainland as it went from Canada to Alaska. Not sure where it was based but since Ed was involved with the Canadian Museum of Flight it was probably around Langley, Delta Airpark or Pitt Meadows. I hope that someone has more information or photos they would be willing to share with the current owner.

I have sent in a request to Library and Archives Canada for info on QFT but may not hear anything back from them for up to 30 days.

I’m also looking for any photos and history of Cessna 190/195’s that previously operated in Canada. I have recent photos of most of the currently active 190/195’s: CF-MLB, CF-KCS, CF-LEQ, CF-CQV, etc but there are a lot of other aircraft that were in Canada.

Thanks in advance for any information, photos you may have.

Regards

Brian

Brian Byl
bbyl@shaw.ca
(403) 861-6716
Cessna 195 CF-MLB
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
F8805DAF-6285-40F8-A374-8CD6AB8797AF.jpeg
F8805DAF-6285-40F8-A374-8CD6AB8797AF.jpeg (128.76 KiB) Viewed 5070 times
New Antique Pilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Information on Stearman CF-QFT and Cessna 195’s

Post by New Antique Pilot »

PM sent.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Cessna 190 C-FNPT was operated by my father from Delta Airpark and Langley between 1978 and 2010-ish, then it was sold to Ontario where it stayed until just this past year when it was exported to Australia. I'm sure I have lots of photos of it in my archives, anything in particular you're looking for?

C195 Driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by C195 Driver »

NPT was owned by Jacques Carriere and based in Gatineau, QC. I met him about 3-4 years ago. We were supposed to go for a flight but he couldn’t get it started - dead battery. It went up sale shortly after but took quite a while to sell as the prop was due for overhaul.

I have some photos in its last paint scheme but would be interested in other photos taken during its life in BC. Do you have any information on previous owners before your dad owned it. There were a few earlier photos of NPT on the 195 Club website but the site is undergoing some revisions and I’m not sure if we can access them yet.

I’m a member of the International Cessna 195 club and a couple of us are working on a data base similar to what Neil Aird has on the DHC-2 Beaver.

Brian

C195 Driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by C195 Driver »

Follow-up to information request for CF-QFT.

Thanks to information supplied by 'New Antique Pilot' the current owner of CF-QFT now has all the history and logs of his Stearman. He was able to contact the former Canadian and Alaskan owners and filled in all the blanks on its history. The Alaskan owner still had the Canadian logs and has sent them to my friend. He is very happy to have all the information. A huge thanks to New Antique Pilot and everyone else.

Regards Brian

Attachments
CF-QFT in Watson Lake mid 70's
CF-QFT in Watson Lake mid 70's
CF-QFT.jpg (257.42 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
N75817 in Illinois 2020
N75817 in Illinois 2020
N75817.jpeg (184.6 KiB) Viewed 4069 times

Return to “Aviation Videos & Photos”